Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

When do we panic? Conceding a late goal like we did on Saturday is sometimes enough for a team to go into free fall and I think that’s just what we’ll do. League 1 here we come. 

I hold McCabe responsible. Regardless of injuries he’s not recruited well nor is he willing to stray from his “philosophy” of giving away goals for nothing. 

Disappointed in the club during a season where the actual LEAGUE TITLE was there for the taking. Shame. 

If we put in a turgid display as bad as we did against Falkirk and Morton on Saturday maybe a little bit?

Tbf to McCabe he did stray a bit from his philosophy on Saturday playing with a back 3 and we had a lot less chaotic moments passing the ball around our 18 yard box.

I did see enough from the game to think we'll turn it around, it's such a crazy league that a few wins can get you shooting right up the table.

Our start to the season has been dire, but we lost a lot of key players and it'll take a while for a new team to gel together.

I think staying in the league and starting to establish ourselves as a Championship side will be a good enough achievement, considering we were in League 1 for 10 years. 

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

If we put in a turgid display as bad as we did against Falkirk and Morton on Saturday maybe a little bit?

Tbf to McCabe he did stray a bit from his philosophy on Saturday playing with a back 3 and we had a lot less chaotic moments passing the ball around our 18 yard box.

I did see enough from the game to think we'll turn it around, it's such a crazy league that a few wins can get you shooting right up the table.

Our start to the season has been dire, but we lost a lot of key players and it'll take a while for a new team to gel together.

I think staying in the league and starting to establish ourselves as a Championship side will be a good enough achievement, considering we were in League 1 for 10 years. 

Yep.  We didn't become seaside league no-hopers overnight, and we won't re-establish ourselves at this level overnight either.

17 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

When do we panic? Conceding a late goal like we did on Saturday is sometimes enough for a team to go into free fall and I think that’s just what we’ll do. League 1 here we come. 

I hold McCabe responsible. Regardless of injuries he’s not recruited well nor is he willing to stray from his “philosophy” of giving away goals for nothing. 

Disappointed in the club during a season where the actual LEAGUE TITLE was there for the taking. Shame. 

Just my opinion but I think you are being too liberal with your phrase "league title there for the taking." 

Most Championship fans acknowledged at the start of the season that it was going to be pretty wide open (so yes there would be a case to suggest we could be contenders) but what has happened would suggest not:- probably smallest budget in the league with some of the lowest crowds in the league, losing umpteen players (for a variety of reasons) and replacing them with almost a whole new squad, opposition teams aware of our style of play in the 2nd season... 

I think we did very well last season, possibly punching above our weight at times, this season yes why not aim for the playoffs as before, but realistically we need to stabilise and consolidate in this league. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Just my opinion but I think you are being too liberal with your phrase "league title there for the taking." 

Most Championship fans acknowledged at the start of the season that it was going to be pretty wide open (so yes there would be a case to suggest we could be contenders) but what has happened would suggest not:- probably smallest budget in the league with some of the lowest crowds in the league, losing umpteen players (for a variety of reasons) and replacing them with almost a whole new squad, opposition teams aware of our style of play in the 2nd season... 

I think we did very well last season, possibly punching above our weight at times, this season yes why not aim for the playoffs as before, but realistically we need to stabilise and consolidate in this league. 

Absolutely and also nothing wrong with being ambitious at the start of the season prior to reality kicking in.

A lots been said of our signing policy with young players, but that's the money market we're in and its always going to be hit or miss.

Lets hope we can get a win on Saturday as a boost is much needed from board room to fans.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely and also nothing wrong with being ambitious at the start of the season prior to reality kicking in.

A lots been said of our signing policy with young players, but that's the money market we're in and its always going to be hit or miss.

Lets hope we can get a win on Saturday as a boost is much needed from board room to fans.

Reality. Kicks in when you write down players we lost. Rae.Fordyce,Megwa,Ballintine,Telfer,McGill,Toddy,Gallagher,and Mcstravick out McMaster out,manager out ,that's reality,O'Conner away back aswell,not been easy to put it mildly 

On 02/10/2024 at 10:46, Diamonds Are Red said:

I’m fairly certain McCabe was aiming to win the league?

There IS no outright winner this season. I agree, we have the smallest budget but the disparity between ourselves and Ayr United is just not same between ourselves and Dundee United et al so I stand by my point that it is or at least was wide open. 

Whether or not you think I’m being too liberal is beside the fact that McCabe and the club’s recruitment has been very poor. I’d go as far as saying it’s a mid table league 1 squad at best. 

We did very well last year. Did we push above our weight in terms of budget? Absolutely but our success was based on the playing style of the team which was facilitated by the players. McCabe wants the same style of play but just doesn’t have the players this season and that is on him. 

The 4th place finish and the challenge cup success of last season have raised the standards. We as fans now have greater expectations and rightly so. 

24 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

There IS no outright winner this season. I agree, we have the smallest budget but the disparity between ourselves and Ayr United is just not same between ourselves and Dundee United et al so I stand by my point that it is or at least was wide open. 

Whether or not you think I’m being too liberal is beside the fact that McCabe and the club’s recruitment has been very poor. I’d go as far as saying it’s a mid table league 1 squad at best. 

We did very well last year. Did we push above our weight in terms of budget? Absolutely but our success was based on the playing style of the team which was facilitated by the players. McCabe wants the same style of play but just doesn’t have the players this season and that is on him. 

The 4th place finish and the challenge cup success of last season have raised the standards. We as fans now have greater expectations and rightly so. 

I get the points you are making but 6 games into a season whilst almost 50% of the squad is missing due to injury it is far to early for this level of negativity, If we had a full squad or even a couple out I'd maybe understand it, Also we started pretty similar last season and I was reading the same massive over reactions. The last game was very encouraging and showed signs of us getting back to better standards and Saturday presents a great opportunity to get a confidence boosting win and off the bottom, Follow that up with the EK game and whilst I do not expect to have it as easy it is another chance to get confidence into the squad to take into the next set of games and 2nd quarter of the season. Players are starting to and are close to coming back now and if we can string a run of 2 or 3 good results we will probably be 4th or 5th this time next month. On the flip side if we take hefty defeats and show no real fight over this next quarter then we can start to question this squad. Nobody wants to see Airdrie at the bottom of a table but at the same time it is not like we are miles adrift and it is still really early in the season in a league that you are bottom one month and can be in the promotion playoffs the next as we have seen. Nobody is relegated, in the playoffs or champions in October and I for one am still confident we will be in and around the top end come May.   

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Whilst I agree the recruitments been below par and we havent replaced certain members of last years squad to say its a mid table league 1 squad is a bit ridiculous, QOTS are top of league 1 and we've beat them 2-0 and 3-0 without any fuss.

It's a bottom of the championship with -11 goal difference after only 7 games squad at the moment to be fair.

Brought in a very small handful of players with proven ability, padded the rest of the squad with rubbish, and here we are :thumbsdown

That will teach cynical me for having some optimism following a good season.

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Is this a parody account? It feels to me like you are just trying to wind Airdrie fans up.

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Whilst I agree the recruitments been below par and we havent replaced certain members of last years squad to say its a mid table league 1 squad is a bit ridiculous, QOTS are top of league 1 and we've beat them 2-0 and 3-0 without any fuss.

aye, I'll agree with this. In what is (imo) the weakest L1 we've seen for a number of years, this team wouldn't be bumbling about with Montrose or Annan tbh.

Conversely, I don't think its unreasonable to say this current team, or at least the team that's been playing so far this season, falls well short of the team that finished last season.  FWIW Recruitment has been hit and miss, and theres a lot of this team that I'm not sold on yet (McGrattan for one straight away).  I'll keep going and take it in quietly until we've played 18 league games, and re-evaluate my thoughts then.

1 hour ago, Dislocated Boy said:

Genuine question….because I read this from supporters of various clubs all the time…..but how do you know??

Of course no one does for sure.

We assume given where they've came from which in our case is, Nothern Ireland, The Spartans, East Kilbride, Morton's bench, Fylde, Highland League & Oxford Utd academy.

Having an educated guess would put us near the bottom of the budget league.

2 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

Is this a parody account? It feels to me like you are just trying to wind Airdrie fans up.

Just saying how it is. We’re bottom of the league with a -11 goal difference. There’s hardly any good to be made out of that. Unless of course you are a happy clapper?

Edited by Diamond1924

4 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Either the standard of league 1 has increased tenfold or this is one of the worst shouts I’ve heard in a long time.

2 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

He's not, he's just an Airdrie fan with an opinion, same as us all, he's/she's maybe just a shorter tolerance for poor results.

I'm not overly enamored with the current string of results and I genuinely believe that if we loss this Saturday, we'll be relegated (yes, early to shout this I know, but that's what I think).  More than happy to be proved wrong of course.

17 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Of course no one does for sure.

We assume given where they've came from which in our case is, Nothern Ireland, The Spartans, East Kilbride, Morton's bench, Fylde, Highland League & Oxford Utd academy.

Having an educated guess would put us near the bottom of the budget league.

Aye the league is not the place to continue with development,a couple of seasoned pros would be beneficial,