Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Id say the question would be "Who did Airdrie recently sign that manager Rhys McCabe thinks has the potential to develop into an excellent player?"

Nobody said he was a starter. But if Rhys sees enough in him, then who am I to question that before he's even stepped foot on the park for us? 

You are a supporter and pay at the gate and surely can voice your own view and opinion,

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Rhys took a shot on Justin Devenny. He was a stand out last season and won himself a move to the EPL, with us pocketing a tidy profit. 

The club did really well on JD, absolutely agree, I absolutely wouldn't go as far as to call him a "stand out" in a team where there were many clearly better and more significant and important players, but the general point is correct

McMaster is now shaping up to be a quality addition and on the upward trend. Guaranteed there will already be other clubs keeping tabs on him.

Again, I agree, McMaster has absolutely benefitted from a full season at a lower level and there's a real possibility he'll do well in the championship and get a good move. However (and it's a big one) we'll see very little return as he's on a one year deal as far as I'm aware, so he'll likely be away on a pre contract or free. Thus completely flying in the face of our transfer policy.

McGregor is starting to come onto a game after looking wobbly at times last season. 

I'll politely disagree here. McGregor for me is still really quite limited and is a frustrating player to watch. He's had similar opportunities to McMaster but has made significantly less progress. As I said a decent late game impact sub at best for me and not Championship quality.

O'Connor still looks raw but has still won us 2 penalties and scored 2 goals this season. 

He has you're right, but despite that, do you really see him as a regular starter this season? I don't. Raw is an understatement, for me he's basically Lewis McGregor at the beginning of last season, which is unfortunately, not good enough for this level.

Aiken has nailed himself a starting spot and looks every bit the player so far.

I'm hopeful for Aiken, I think he could be on a similar trajectory to McMaster, however, again like O'Connor I would be worried/surprised to see him being a regular starter. I know these comparisons aren't fair and don't matter, but there isn't another championship team where he would be "nailed on" for the teamsheet.

Add to this the other two signings for the first team, Dunlop and Gallagher. Neither are good enough for just now unfortunately. I don't even need to see them regularly to know that. I would be stunned to see either get anywhere near to double figures of appearances this season. Which makes them difficult signings to reconcile with staying in the championship. 

As someone said earlier, it's not the youth Vs experience thing as much as the signing policy being completely lopsided at the moment. We don't need to sign any old haddie, but we do need a couple of proven players for our balsa wood squad.

15 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'll politely disagree here. McGregor for me is still really quite limited and is a frustrating player to watch. He's had similar opportunities to McMaster but has made significantly less progress. As I said a decent late game impact sub at best for me and not Championship quality.

Although I am not changing my view, this can definitely be filed in the "ageing badly" pile today haha

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Although I am not changing my view, this can definitely be filed in the "ageing badly" pile today haha

A full pre-season with McCabe has made a big difference with him. It would be fair to call McCabe’s recruitment slow and not particularly exciting but you can’t fault his ability to improve players.

What a win. And we'll done to the 2 young boys who bossed the midfield with Frizz, then held it together when he was sent off. 

Kids eh? 😉

Quite honestly I thought that was by far our worst performance of the season and looking at it objectively ICT didn't deserve to lose but glad to see the way we dug in after losing our best player. I concur that McMaster and Aiken were great, especially Aiken who was cutting about the midfield like a young Evan Balfour and my MOM by a mile. I'll forgive his poor finish when clean through in the 2nd half.

Might be getting carried away but that's the sort of win that could be really important at the end of the season. To see out almost half the game with a player down and win is the kind of determination you need to stay up (I still see 8th as our target).

That was a massive 3 points today, the Airdrie team of last season would've collapsed like a pack of cards going down to 10 men but I was impressed with the way we managed to hold out and show some resilience to grind out the win.

We definitely weren't at our best today but any win is massive in the Championship.

With 6/9 points in the league and winning 4 of our league cup group games it's been a fantastic start to the season.

Only downside is Frizzell missing the Dundee United game.

Lewis McGregor was excellent today, he's certainly starting to come onto a game this season, both him and McMaster had very good games.

Onto Tannadice next week!!! 

Massive 3 points and if not for the red I think we would’ve kicked on and won by more against a very poor Caley Thistle side. Think the confidence from the playoff success, and in particular how we held out after Rae’s red card in the first leg against Falkirk, has turned us into a far more confident and resilient side.

We’ll miss Frizz at Tannadice next week but I’m not really going into that game expecting much so I can’t be disappointed and anything we do get is a bonus.

55 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Quite honestly I thought that was by far our worst performance of the season and looking at it objectively ICT didn't deserve to lose but glad to see the way we dug in after losing our best player. I concur that McMaster and Aiken were great, especially Aiken who was cutting about the midfield like a young Evan Balfour and my MOM by a mile. I'll forgive his poor finish when clean through in the 2nd half.

Thought we were excellent in the first half anf could easily have been 3 or 4 up. The sending off changes the game but agreed, the way we dug in was superb. 

McMaster deserving of his MoTM award. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What a win. And well done to the 2 young boys who bossed the midfield with Frizz, then held it together when he was sent off. 

Kids eh? 😉

Firstly, it was an excellent win today and might prove to be really important come May. Frizzells sending off now highlights further way was being said in last the few pages. Our squad depth is awful but strangely we seem covered in midfield.

Who do we reckon steps in next week? Telfer seems the obvious choice. 

27 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s not exactly a high bar, but I’ll go out and say that McCabe is the most talented manager we’ve had, certainly since I started going to games in 2001.

Murray and McCabe have both been miles ahead of everyone we’ve had since Sandy Stewart. Very hard to argue against McCabe being the best this century given what he’s achieved so far, the style of football and his ability to improve players.

My biggest take on that is that McCabe is learning. Last year at this time we went a man down against Edinburgh City and he went 5 up top. Going by the reactions of Todorov and Hancock at the final whistle they are buying into what’s happening and there’s a great team ethic in the place. Fans are on board also. Whilst we were lucky esp to be two up entirely due to Invernes mistakes we could have went in at the break 3 or 4 up while not playing particularly well. Inverness kept a close eye on McMaster in 1st half which I think hampered our passing game. Pleased for McGregor who I thinks getting a rough deal on here, there’s a player there and typical of wingers he’ll fade in and out of games. His run in the 2nd half deserved a goal. As said by others McMaster and Aiken were excellent esp once Frizzell went off. That was as nervous I’ve been at a game for a long while - was rattling for the 2nd half.  We’ll be nobodies pushovers this year. 

12 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Firstly, it was an excellent win today and might prove to be really important come May. Frizzells sending off now highlights further way was being said in last the few pages. Our squad depth is awful but strangely we seem covered in midfield.

Who do we reckon steps in next week? Telfer seems the obvious choice. 

Given Telfer wasn't even on the bench, he may well be injured. Could be the new Gallagher, the gaffer maybe if he's fit, even a new signing? Who knows. 

22 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Thought we were excellent in the first half anf could easily have been 3 or 4 up

All about opinions of course but the post match interviews from the Manager and McMaster have a different view. 😉 

Excellent win considering we weren’t at our best, McMaster n Aiken brilliant in the midfield really stood up in the 2nd half, hopefully contract talks are already underway with McMaster👀

As for signings I think the fans better get used to McCabe and Airdries way forward, I’m expecting another couple of signings in the next week but don’t count on them being over 20!