Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Excellent win considering we weren’t at our best, McMaster n Aiken brilliant in the midfield really stood up in the 2nd half, hopefully contract talks are already underway with McMaster👀

As for signings I think the fans better get used to McCabe and Airdries way forward, I’m expecting another couple of signings in the next week but don’t count on them being over 20!

*waits for the impending P&B implosion when it happens* 👀

19 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Excellent win considering we weren’t at our best, McMaster n Aiken brilliant in the midfield really stood up in the 2nd half, hopefully contract talks are already underway with McMaster👀

As for signings I think the fans better get used to McCabe and Airdries way forward, I’m expecting another couple of signings in the next week but don’t count on them being over 20!

You knew!

Can't agree that Caley didn't deserve to lose as with defenders such as those two they're lucky to come up against us on a quiet day and being helped by a card happy ref if you wore a diamond jersey in midfield, whilst giving carte blanche to Carson and the number 7 who repeatedly fouled McMaster.

Great resilience in comparison to last season with ten and I'm ready to take the road and miles to Dundee.

Smashing curry again.

Another great result. I text one of my pals when we went down to 10 men to say here comes the collapse so it is great to see that lessons have been learned from last season and we have closed the game out.

35 points should be enough for us to be safe so to pick up 6 from the first 9 with some difficult fixtures in there is great.

We just need to get lucky this season with suspensions and injuries as we have a good enough starting 11 to take on anyone but if we have a bad run where we have the likes of say Rae, Ballantyne and Frizzell out at any one time it will be difficult to replace.

The fee banded about for Devenney is supposedly 100k and then we got top of the League Cup group which is 55k which will be more than we budgeted to finish, then there is the gate receipts against Ross County.

It would be nice to see us go for 3/4 experienced players from these windfalls and have a go for the play offs as if we can get lucky on the suspensions/injuries I could genuinely see Airdrie being a dark horse make the play offs. 

I think McCabe deserves the backing of the fans on here as while we appreciate that the signings have been underwhelming as we are getting youngsters instead of Smith/Wotherspoon, he has earned the right to be backed with the results he has produced so far this season.

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Paying a fee for a youngster speaks volumes about the expected potential he will bring. Excellent stuff. 

Absolutely, and if no one’s spotted it yet it’s another one of Jackies boys.

5 hours ago, G_H said:

If a 19yo whose first team experience amounts to 17 appearances and 1 goal for Dalbeattie Star is the answer, I’d love to know the question.

What signing is most likely to get airdrie fans frothing at the gusset?

5 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

McMaster really looks like he will step up from what I've seen so far, he has clearly benefitted from a full season playing regularly in League 1 to bring his game on, I'm not sure the same can be said for McGregor Who I suspect (hope) will be more of an impact sub against tired defenders. Aiken has been better than O'Connor, but like McGregor does anyone want to see any of the three of them starting every week in the Championship?

McMaster and Aiken were both outstanding today and not for the first time this season. I would have no qualms whatsoever about the 2 of them being our starting midfielders for the majority of the season although given their age they may need removed from time to time.

Lewis McGregor had a very good game today and you have to remember that both he and O'Connor when played out on the wings will have a tendency to drift in and out of games. McGregor's run today was absolutely screaming for Cal Gall to come running in at the back post for a tap in but unfortunately he'd been replaced earlier.

44 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Who do we reckon steps in next week? Telfer seems the obvious choice. 

Telfer out through injury today so depends on how bad that is and if he trains this week. Possibly McCabe depending on his level of fitness and if he gets JD approval to train.

5 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

https://x.com/marcsmyth16/status/1695499261624910319?s=46&t=iXRfdM-7KgaKd3dimXmDwA

As does Marc Smyth. If he’s half as entertaining as Smyth was when he headbutted Joe Cardle then I’m all for it. 

The worst thing about this signing is that I recognised his name straight away from spending far too long looking at the list of Consilium players :lol: