Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Amazing how things change, with Aiken out and McMaster struggling he's just about 1st pick in the central midfield area. I don't think even Falkirk fans doubted his ability but his work rate is tremendous this season.

But then again they also couldn't take to Mr cool himself ATS. I get it, it doesn't work for some people at some clubs but I'm genuinely struggling to name a time big Sincy has let us down when called upon as well ♦️

Bit of a ramble here but with County having their new manager lined up we can breathe a sigh of relief. It’s the first time I can remember I feel the dread every time a top flight manager gets sacked. Makes me realise how much I have loved the last 18ish months. Even Murray I wasn’t overly fussed with losing although at the time I wanted him to stay. 

Been reading loads of different threads about loads of clubs recently (too much time on my hands perhaps). This is really not meant to be a happy clapping post at all (as I usually state I’m pessimistic as f**k) but I genuinely believe we need to really appreciate the position we are in since Airdrieonians/Airdrie Utd returned. 

You just need to read some threads to see the shit state clubs can find themselves in Clydebank, Clyde, QoS, Dumbarton (all clubs we played regularly when I was younger) to name a few would give their right arm to be where we are. 

I’ve been reading some lower league threads too (Darvel, Johnstone Borough, EK, Tranent) again just to name a few are or have been throwing ridiculous sums of money about to get up the pyramid. Edinburgh, Kelty, Cove have done it and now find themselves in danger of of heading the other way again (Cove less dramatically than the other 2 mentioned). Berwick spent money to try get back out the lower league but got blew away with budgets from the likes of Spartans and EK and are now struggling. Cowdenbeath, East Stirling, Albion Rovers all long-standing clubs with little chance of ever getting back as long as money men keep pumping money into the Lowland league and below. These teams just can’t compete. 

I would never tell anyone to settle and we must strive to improve and do better. I would also never dream of telling anyone how to support our club. This club has not felt this good for a long long time though. Dare I say bar our league winning season as Airdrie Utd we haven’t had a feeling close to where we are rite now in decades. It’s a moment of realisation for me more than anything but I just urge people to savour this, enjoy it and back these guys even if things turn over the next few months. 

20 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Bit of a ramble here but with County having their new manager lined up we can breathe a sigh of relief. It’s the first time I can remember I feel the dread every time a top flight manager gets sacked. Makes me realise how much I have loved the last 18ish months. Even Murray I wasn’t overly fussed with losing although at the time I wanted him to stay. 

Been reading loads of different threads about loads of clubs recently (too much time on my hands perhaps). This is really not meant to be a happy clapping post at all (as I usually state I’m pessimistic as f**k) but I genuinely believe we need to really appreciate the position we are in since Airdrieonians/Airdrie Utd returned. 

You just need to read some threads to see the shit state clubs can find themselves in Clydebank, Clyde, QoS, Dumbarton (all clubs we played regularly when I was younger) to name a few would give their right arm to be where we are. 

I’ve been reading some lower league threads too (Darvel, Johnstone Borough, EK, Tranent) again just to name a few are or have been throwing ridiculous sums of money about to get up the pyramid. Edinburgh, Kelty, Cove have done it and now find themselves in danger of of heading the other way again (Cove less dramatically than the other 2 mentioned). Berwick spent money to try get back out the lower league but got blew away with budgets from the likes of Spartans and EK and are now struggling. Cowdenbeath, East Stirling, Albion Rovers all long-standing clubs with little chance of ever getting back as long as money men keep pumping money into the Lowland league and below. These teams just can’t compete. 

I would never tell anyone to settle and we must strive to improve and do better. I would also never dream of telling anyone how to support our club. This club has not felt this good for a long long time though. Dare I say bar our league winning season as Airdrie Utd we haven’t had a feeling close to where we are rite now in decades. It’s a moment of realisation for me more than anything but I just urge people to savour this, enjoy it and back these guys even if things turn over the next few months. 

Very rarely do I see a post that I can say, almost word for word that's exactly how I feel. But it's here and it's perfect....

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

Sssssshhh!!! 

We need to keep him as off other teams radars as possible and we don't know who reads this 😂

This weekend we head to Stranraer one of our old haunts in the Scottish Cup,   how many remember November 25th. 2017, only 6 years ago,   we travelled to East Fife and got leathered 6 1 and it could have been much worse,  really desperate times,  the club on and off the park is on a different level now,    

Just now, Passionate said:

This weekend we head to Stranraer one of our old haunts in the Scottish Cup,   how many remember November 25th. 2017, only 6 years ago,   we travelled to East Fife and got leathered 6 1 and it could have been much worse,  really desperate times,  the club on and off the park is on a different level now,    

I think Queen of the South are a great comparison. They feel very 2010s Airdrie at the moment, a club lacking structure and ambition who seem destined for a prolonged spell in League One. As you say, it wasn't that long ago we were in a similar position, even worse really since we were part-time with a very small budget. Miles ahead of that now thankfully.

Unrelated but I was thinking recently about where we'd be just now if Kyle Turner hadn't fell out with Stevie Crawford. Turner played in midfield himself at times and pretty much dragged a very mediocre team to a play-off final. If he doesn't sign we possibly keep Kyle MacDonald on loan instead as originally planned, or get someone else entirely, and have a team that I don't think makes the top four/five and that probably leads to the end of Ian Murray. Who knows who we appoint as manager but McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Agnew etc. possibly don't sign for us that summer and the foundations of the current team never happen. Very happy none of that happened!

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Actually left this game shortly after we went 1-0 up in account of it being so cold and went to The Brig Tavern round the corner. Turned out there was a christening tea on in the pub so got some free scran and a few scoops before the bus home. Not a bad day considering.

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

Kyle Wilkie scored twice for East Fife that day, remember him? 

Craig Watson also came on as a sub for them that day. Fast forward 6 years and he's now a handful of appearances off 100 games for the might diamonds. 

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Craig Watson also came on as a sub for them that day. Fast forward 6 years and he's now a handful of appearances off 100 games for the might diamonds. 

To be fair to Kyle Wilkie he was a good player just wasted by injuries,   Craig Watson gets written off many times but rarely lets us down,  good solid player and hopefully here for a good while yet..

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

58 minutes ago, Passionate said:

To be fair to Kyle Wilkie he was a good player just wasted by injuries, 

I still hold a minor grudge against him for not equalising at Celtic Park that day. 

43 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I still hold a minor grudge against him for not equalising at Celtic Park that day. 

The scenes in the end that day for the penalty save, can only imagine it would've been bedlam if we equalized against them.

Great post @diamond_for_lifeand agree with all of it. I hope McCabe is on a decent contract as I can see him leaving him in the not too distant future if he keeps us up this season, he feels like the better the quality of player he has to work with the better manager he will be. This is te most positive ive felt around the club for a long time, which considering how it felt at tful time after the Queens Park playoff defeat is quite something. Murray leaving was the right call for both parties and I give him credit for leaving the club in a better state than he found it. One positive that I think gets over looked is the off field stuff around the chairman etc, he seems to go about things fairly quietly but when you see things like the hospitality getting sold regularly it shows something is going right and taking the chance on McCabe was a bold move. 

Would also add looking at the list of clubs @diamond_for_lifementions does bring it home what a good position we are in right now. Seeing Clyde, a team not too far off the size of us at the bottom of league 2 without a ground is sobering, especially given the others who have dropped out already, especially Brechin who have been quite succesful over the last 20 years.