Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Was mentioned on the Facebook group that’s he’s still got another year left

Ah yes, that well known bastion of quality, verified information.

The club play a blinder keeping all of the pertinent information to themselves. It means that the likes of Hibs or St Johnstone  might expect to pick up Rhys for nothing and then all of a sudden “nope sorry that’ll be a hefty bit of compensation I’m afraid”. I’m all for it, personally.

Looking like Airdrie, Ayr, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Hamilton, Livingston, Morton, Partick Thistle, Queen’s Park and Raith/St. Johnstone then. Certainly fewer miles in the car anyway!

That looks like an exciting league, lots of big games. Once again, no offence to any of them as they’re all good clubs but thankful to not be stuck in League One with Kelty, Montrose, Peterhead etc.

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Looking like Airdrie, Ayr, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Hamilton, Livingston, Morton, Partick Thistle, Queen’s Park and Raith/St. Johnstone then. Certainly fewer miles in the car anyway!

That looks like an exciting league, lots of big games. Once again, no offence to any of them as they’re all good clubs but thankful to not be stuck in League One with Kelty, Montrose, Peterhead etc.

10 teams that could be anywhere from 1st-10th, can’t wait for it

2 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Flashbacks from the 10/11 season watching Ridgers in this playoff final!

Disappointed we didn’t score a goal up there now. Could have just shot from anywhere on the pitch and it would have went in. 

A fair old Airdrie connection at Stranraer, Agnew, Hawkshaw, G. Gallagher & McIntosh.

At 22 mins is some great commentary where even the Whirlies roundo gets a mention!

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

One year ago today!

9 dismal play-offs and 10 years in League 1. Full of humiliations, charlatans on and off the park and misery. Losing to nobodies in front of nobody. All of that hurt and embarrassment let go in one joyful afternoon a year ago today. And it’s only gotten better ♦️

Telfer and Hancock getting both fans and players player and young player of the season awards respectively, with McStravick getting goal of the season. Hard to argue too much with that. 

Quite a turnaround for Telfer who was fine last season but not even part of our best 11.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Telfer and Hancock getting both fans and players player and young player of the season awards respectively, with McStravick getting goal of the season. Hard to argue too much with that. 

Quite a turnaround for Telfer who was fine last season but not even part of our best 11.

Both were outstanding,  Telfer showed how good a  midfield player he is,  a player we must keep for this season,  Good players don't come cheap though and to keep the likes of ChaZ and Frizz we might have to break our wage structure,  are we prepared to do so....

Was looking through some other teams’ squad updates. Cammy Bruce at Queen’s Park is, AFAIK, on Consillium’s books. He is a left-back so won’t be a priority if Hancock is still around. But could be good to have that flexibility all the same, as we saw on the other side with Megwa this season. A Bargeddie boy apparently too so localish. 

Can’t argue with any of those award winners. Well deserved. 

IMG_5609.png

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Was looking through some other teams’ squad updates. Cammy Bruce at Queen’s Park is, AFAIK, on Consillium’s books. He is a left-back so won’t be a priority if Hancock is still around. But could be good to have that flexibility all the same, as we saw on the other side with Megwa this season. A Bargeddie boy apparently too so localish. 

IMG_5609.png

I seen that Aidan Wilson will be getting released by Glentoran at the end of his contract and he's on the books at Consilium.

I don't know an awful lot about him except that he's played in Northern Ireland and previously played in the Rangers youth set up which ticks our boxes. 

I have no idea how good or bad he is but I feel like we need a younger centre half with a bit of pace to play alongside Fordyce.

Edited by David Fernández

Has anyone got any idea when we might start announcing about player movement?   I’m sure the club have their reasons for keeping everything on the hush hush but I’m seeing lots of announcements elsewhere and nothing on our squad.  I know the full season hasn’t technically finished until playoffs are settled but since 95% of teams know where we’ll be playing, I was expecting some sort of update by now.  Just frustrated….. thought we might know something.  I know most players under contract until the end of the month 

20 hours ago, airdrieman said:

IMG_5609.png

Would definitely take Bruce or Savoury 

3 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Has anyone got any idea when we might start announcing about player movement?   I’m sure the club have their reasons for keeping everything on the hush hush but I’m seeing lots of announcements elsewhere and nothing on our squad.  I know the full season hasn’t technically finished until playoffs are settled but since 95% of teams know where we’ll be playing, I was expecting some sort of update by now.  Just frustrated….. thought we might know something.  I know most players under contract until the end of the month 

The fact that players are under contract until the end of the month will really only affect new signings. The players who are being released will all know by now and the players contracted for next season are simply just that unless anyone buy's them.

The out of contract players will be the toughest issue to resolve, some will no doubt have already agreed deals elsewhere and others probably haggling over 10-20 % increases.

Very few rumours circulating but I've seen it mentioned that the 2 Murray's (Aiken & Johnson) could return from Hibs but that might be on hold given the manager situation at Easter Road.

With regards "new" signings I think it's quite clear the model of signing young players will continue and quite honestly having a look around the guy's freed from other championship clubs, it might be the way to go. For what it's worth I would think Nathan Shaw or Jakubiak could be decent signings for us.

50 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Last season's squad update was announced at the start of June and the season before that was the end of May. If I was to guess I would imagine we'd get a squad update at the latest towards the end of next week.

McCabe has mentioned in previous interviews that he usually plans 6 months in advanced and I'd imagine that both he and the club know who'll be staying/going as well as any potential signing targets. 

I'd imagine that we probably have signings etc lined up but nothing official has been announced from the club, and would guess the pen won't be out until early/mid June, without knowing too much, I think that both McCabe and the board like to keep things in house and don't particularly like rumours going about.