Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Why? Can only be for more money as it will be a drop in playing as a team ,still it is true he will know most of the players and manager well having played with them,that's football loyalty is the pound note .

He's in his 30s and likely has somewhere between 4-6 years left in the game. Of course money is a consideration. I also don't think leaving to the team that finished second is in any way a drop, tbh. 

This is the inevitable problem with playing in this league, doing well but not being promoted, for what it's worth - your players get picked off by other clubs. It happened to us many times as well and it is indeed very annoying. We should in general avoid a similar problem on this occasion as most of our players are under contract, but Easton might move on which would be a blow. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He's in his 30s and likely has somewhere between 4-6 years left in the game. Of course money is a consideration. I also don't think leaving to the team that finished second is in any way a drop, tbh. 

This is the inevitable problem with playing in this league, doing well but not being promoted, for what it's worth - your players get picked off by other clubs. It happened to us many times as well and it is indeed very annoying. We should in general avoid a similar problem on this occasion as most of our players are under contract, but Easton might move on which would be a blow. 

Easton is pish, he wont get a bigger club

1 minute ago, wellfan919191 said:

Apparently signed for Motherwell or Dundee United various rumours with both.

totally disappeared in the run in for Raith, completely overrated player and seems a bit of a Dick to boot

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Fair bit of knicker wetting re Fordyce but while it’s disappointing to lose a player to a competitor but we’ve had his best years and time catches up with us all so it will be interesting to see how good an investment this is for Raith who see themselves as title candidates. Signing a guy that’s 32 and never played higher than this level on a two year deal isn’t exactly inspiring.  It’s also worth noting that we seem to do well with our recruitment, so let’s just see what they have in store for us. 

Whilst I would like him still at Airdrie and he was my player of the year choice last season, I'm more concerned about his Assistant Manager position and hope there is no harmony issues within the squad. Additionally he was always credited with our corner routines which we had reasonable success with.

Aberdeen, QoS, Dumbarton and East Kilbride. A bit pish asides from Aberdeen. Think I’ll miss most of the games anyway so Aberdeen first or last weekend please 👍

26 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Aberdeen, QoS, Dumbarton and East Kilbride. A bit pish asides from Aberdeen. Think I’ll miss most of the games anyway so Aberdeen first or last weekend please 👍

At least it's not teams we'll be playing four times already.  I'm pretty sure we've not played Aberdeen since the club was reformed, and surely not for a good few years before that either.

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Some drop off in football terms to move on to a team who finished 17 points ahead of you this season.

Sorry,did mean the. 5games against us ,

6 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Why? Can only be for more money as it will be a drop in playing as a team ,still it is true he will know most of the players and manager well having played with them,that's football loyalty is the pound note .

No I meant why is it him coming to us makes it worse? 

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

At least it's not teams we'll be playing four times already.  I'm pretty sure we've not played Aberdeen since the club was reformed, and surely not for a good few years before that either.

They’ve never played at New Broomfield either, though by the looks of things they won’t be getting the chance in the League Cup. 

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

They’ve never played at New Broomfield either, though by the looks of things they won’t be getting the chance in the League Cup. 

We'll both get out of the groups and play them again at home, then.

38 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Nobody wants their best players going to another team in the same division.

My take on the Dycey situation is I'm convinced the bust up with Rhys was because Fordyce told him he was leaving - I can't believe their relaionship was so fragile & Dycey so sensitive that an arguement would have made him want to suddenly leave the club. As they are also cousins I hope they can mend their personal relationship, which I think they will.

As for the decision itself, in no way does Fordyce's wanting to leave diminish the contribution that he has made to the Airdrie cause over the past five years. Players come & players go and I agree with Chapelhal Chap, once they have gone they are of little interest to me. I support any player who plays or wants to play for Airdrieonians and Fordyce deserved his Hall of Fame entry (was it known then that he was about to leave?)

Next, as for choosing Raith, so what? I would have preferred him not to have picked an opponent in our league but I believe the Championship is wide open next year and any team in the league is a threat to us. Two of our best signings two years ago were Rae & Ballantyne, both of whom came from fellow League One clubs and who maybe thought Airdrie were a better bet for promotion, improving themselves, pay etc. (and they were the two who finished the penalty shoot out that got us promoted). Incidentally, I don't dislike Raith, at least in part because they voted for us in 2002.

Finally, Ian Murray. I have said on here before that I believe our success is based on what he built, including having brought Rhys to the club (and I strongly suspect recommending him as being ready to be player-manager) and having assembled most of the team that won promotion last year (including signing Cammy as he was leaving for Raith). Also, as long as he doesn't take anyone else from us this close season he has only taken one player each year - Easton, then Smith, and now Fordyce - compare this to when Owen Coyle, although obviously an Airdrie legend, left he decimated that team by taking a load of our best players to St Johnstone.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the new season when it starts: I have no idea who will be in the running for promotion or relegation with no obvious Dundee United or Arbroath in the division.

Yeah, I agree with all of that - though I don't think speculating about bust-ups is very profitable.  We'll hear about it or we won't, but ultimately we don't know what's happened or why.  As you say, if their personal relationship has been damaged, then as they're family I hope they can mend that in time.

39 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/aberdeen-cup-draw-dream-airdrie-32922814

Sounds like Frizz is expecting to be playing for us in July anyway

Sounds promising, I believe also Lewis McGregor recently signed a new deal as well.

If Frizz has signed a new deal then I think its only Ballantyne and Telfer we're waiting on.