Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

41 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I see that Rhys Armstrong who plays for Spartans has started following Airdrie on Twitter, don't know too much about him but it would be interesting to see if he would be able to make the step up.

image.thumb.png.ea4dd22a9386bf437b62f72060a5928d.pngSeal of approval from a player. 

Armstrong signing probably means McCabe wont play in midfield again.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Armstrong signing probably means McCabe wont play in midfield again.

Maybe as a back up, he is still only 31 so will still have a good couple of years in it again I imagine however who knows what will happen with the backroom staff shake up.

12 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

The problem is that some of the plastic pitches in the top division have been awful - Killie and Livi's are barely good enough for Boy's Brigade games. Yours is good, as is East Fife's. I've often thought Ayr play better on a good plastic pitch than we do on grass. A better route would have been minimum standards on pitch and maintenance and an annual inspection to keep standards up 

I'll agree with that as well.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

The problem is that some of the plastic pitches in the top division have been awful - Killie and Livi's are barely good enough for Boy's Brigade games. Yours is good, as is East Fife's. I've often thought Ayr play better on a good plastic pitch than we do on grass. A better route would have been minimum standards on pitch and maintenance and an annual inspection to keep standards up 

This to me would have been a much more palatable solution. I’ve seen fantastic grass pitches and poor ones. Same with artificial and plenty games where the poor quality of the surface was the factor.

A minimum standard. 

Edited by She who dares gins

Lanarkshire Live Sport reporting that we’ve offered Dylan MacDonald from EKFC a two-year deal. He’s a right back so that might kill off any dreams of signing Megwa and I hope he’s not replacing Ballantyne. Obviously played at a much lower level last season but they had a very strong side and won the league so not ridiculous that they’d have players with suitors much higher up the pyramid, but only time will tell if he’ll be a regular starter or more of a GavGal/Dunlop type.

A lot made of the Hibs loanees we’ve had but that would be another St Mirren youth player in the squad, along with McMaster, Dunlop, Gavin Gallagher (can we just say Gallagher at this point or is that still Calum?), and we also had Jamieson on loan from them in McCabe’s first season as manager.

I thought he was pretty good in the League 2 play-off final first-leg. He was the one EK player who wasn’t a ‘name’ that stood out and one of the few who looked like he could possibly make the step-up to the SPFL, even including the ‘name’ players. He linked well with John Robertson, who admittedly is/was far too good for that level which obviously helped, and the majority of their pressure and good attacking play came down their side. 

That being said, James Dolan and Matty Grant managed to get some joy down the left for Stranraer and he won’t have been tested much at all defensively playing for East Kilbride in the Lowland League.  But hopefully a decent prospect and one McCabe can develop. Assuming Ballantyne and Watson stay he’ll at least get some time to bed in and get up to speed with Championship football. 

I’ve seen Armstrong play before and thought he was decent so happy with that, it’s a big step up but I think he’ll fit into our style of play well. No idea about MacDonald but as others have said, getting Megwa back was always unlikely so if we go into the season with Ballantyne as first choice and Watson and MacDonald as cover then I’m fine with that.

They’re not the most exciting signings but have to trust McCabe’s ability to develop players and a few players like this to supplement the squad is good.

21 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’ve seen Armstrong play before and thought he was decent so happy with that, it’s a big step up but I think he’ll fit into our style of play well. No idea about MacDonald but as others have said, getting Megwa back was always unlikely so if we go into the season with Ballantyne as first choice and Watson and MacDonald as cover then I’m fine with that.

They’re not the most exciting signings but have to trust McCabe’s ability to develop players and a few players like this to supplement the squad is good.

I think we all no the model that most new signings will be young players who we hope to develop. I'm much more interested in the players we manage to retain and the loanees we bring in who will most likely determine our season.

22 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I know Thistle were in for Armstrong never seen the lad play personally,    it's all hearsay at the moment but I sincerely hope we are not signing these lads to replace the likes of Ballantyne and Telfer,  this would be the cheap option,  it would be a very HIGH RISK policy and after the season of our lives we just had,  you would hope to push on and keep your better players..      

The lack of information coming from the club regarding players is very poor and us bored fans have to much time on keyboards...

No harm to the lad but Macdonald doesn’t look good enough defensively for me. Can go forward well and him and Robertson did terrorise most teams in that league but I’m not convinced from the games I’ve saw of him he can cope defensively with the step up. 

Again rumours flying around of Airdrie losing more players so until the club tell the fans what’s happening it’s all a bit anxiety ridden for us. After the best season in decades I don’t ever want to sound critical but nothing on players, strips, season tickets, friendlies. Every season it’s so frustrating to seemingly be way behind other clubs 

I expect us to struggle to attract “established” names but right now I can’t help but feel this is going to be a long tough few weeks till the season is underway. Arbroath after almost going up to the top flight finished 8th then 10th. Queens Park after almost going up in their 1st season saw them avoid the relegation playoff on the last day this season. I am not criticising the club and I know it’s a pessimistic view but they need to be spending some of the money they made last season and pushing the boat out to retain the guys we have. That to me is far more important than rumours of who’s coming in.

It’s a harsh reality of how quick things can change. 

2 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

pushing the boat out to retain the guys we have. That to me is far more important than rumours of who’s coming in.

You must have been typing that at the same time as me. Absolutely correct though.

1 minute ago, diamond_for_life said:

No harm to the lad but Macdonald doesn’t look good enough defensively for me. Can go forward well and him and Robertson did terrorise most teams in that league but I’m not convinced from the games I’ve saw of him he can cope defensively with the step up. 

Again rumours flying around of Airdrie losing more players so until the club tell the fans what’s happening it’s all a bit anxiety ridden for us. After the best season in decades I don’t ever want to sound critical but nothing on players, strips, season tickets, friendlies. Every season it’s so frustrating to seemingly be way behind other clubs 

I expect us to struggle to attract “established” names but right now I can’t help but feel this is going to be a long tough few weeks till the season is underway. Arbroath after almost going up to the top flight finished 8th then 10th. Queens Park after almost going up in their 1st season saw them avoid the relegation playoff on the last day this season. I am not criticising the club and I know it’s a pessimistic view but they need to be spending some of the money they made last season and pushing the boat out to retain the guys we have. That to me is far more important than rumours of who’s coming in.

Great post,  totally agree,   

3 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Agree completely. Can't see us matching last seasons position in the league this year.