Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I heard last week that this was in the offing and spoke to a Formartine season ticket holder who was astounded that he was going to a championship club. Another colleague who knows him well, said that he had a growth spurt when he was 16ish and started banging in the goals in the Highland league where Aberdeen bought him from Turriff a couple of years after they released him. Apparently decent in the air and no slouch either but lacking in awareness but obviously Rhys sees something to work on.  You never know but I wouldn't imagine he'll be starting many games.

You heard anything else,    

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I heard last week that this was in the offing and spoke to a Formartine season ticket holder who was astounded that he was going to a championship club. Another colleague who knows him well, said that he had a growth spurt when he was 16ish and started banging in the goals in the Highland league where Aberdeen bought him from Turriff a couple of years after they released him. Apparently decent in the air and no slouch either but lacking in awareness but obviously Rhys sees something to work on.  You never know but I wouldn't imagine he'll be starting many games.

I'm gobsmacked by this signing to be fair. I know his Dad, spoke to him 2 weeks back and he said Aaron was in talks with Morton, trained with Cove, but didn't expect the former to come to much. I was hoping we would avoid him purely going by what I've seen/heard of him at Peterhead and Elgin. He could develop and completely prove me and others wrong. Rhys will know far better than I.

I thought his next move would be L2 or a top HL league like Buckie, Brechin or Banks o Dee. He might well be loaned out.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, Passionate said:

You heard anything else,    

Nah, only knew about this as I'm currently working in Aberdeen and the info came from a team mate of his who has also just been released from Aberdeen.

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Hopefully Rhys Armstrong announced today at some point as well.

They'll be a meltdown here and bookface if Armstrong, Macdonald & Reid are followed by the departures of Ballantyne, Telfer & McGill.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

They'll be a meltdown here and bookface if Armstrong, Macdonald & Reid are followed by the departures of Ballantyne, Telfer & McGill.

Ooft can you imagine the Facebook. The guys who were demanding Fordyce be stripped of his HoF place heads will explode, scanners style.

To be fair I would be interested to see how many games Ballantyne, telfer and McGill started together last season due to injuries. Would imagine single figures.

18 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Do you not think that would merit a meltdown,      

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Do you not think that would merit a meltdown,      

Not quite yet but will be hugely disappointed if that scenario did occur even though I'm not particularly fussed about Gabby.

I still have great faith in our manager and these are the markets we shop in but it will be incredibly difficult to sustain.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

I doubt we’ll see Gabby McGill again in a diamond.

His equaliser at Accies will remain in the memory but he's inconsistent, probably in part due to always being crocked.

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I doubt we’ll see Gabby McGill again in a diamond.

In the league Gabby played more than 70 minutes 11 times last season and managed the full 90 3 times. I like him a lot as a player and a fully fit Gabby is great for this level. But him leaving would be felt less keenly than others let's be honest.

57 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm gobsmacked by this signing to be fair. I know his Dad, spoke to him 2 weeks back and he said Aaron was in talks with Morton, trained with Cove, but didn't expect the former to come to much. I was hoping we would avoid him purely going by what I've seen/heard of him at Peterhead and Elgin. He could develop and completely prove me and others wrong. Rhys will know far better than I.

I thought his next move would be L2 or a top HL league like Buckie, Brechin or Banks o Dee. He might well be loaned out.

He doesn’t sound up to much on the face of it. But like you say, have to trust McCabe’s judgement. For all his faults, Imrie also has a good eye for a player so if he was after Reid too then that points to there possibly being some potential there. 

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

His equaliser at Accies will remain in the memory but he's inconsistent, probably in part due to always being crocked.

14 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

In the league Gabby played more than 70 minutes 11 times last season and managed the full 90 3 times. I like him a lot as a player and a fully fit Gabby is great for this level. But him leaving would be felt less keenly than others let's be honest.

Yeah he’ll be forever remembered for the big goals he scored but yes his fitness and constant injuries be the main reason why he won’t be offered a new deal. 

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I like Gabby he really came onto a game at the end of last season and he found a first touch from somewhere,   he was rumoured to be touch and go if he signed or not last season,  apparently got a decent deal to stay,   i can see no reason why decent deals are not getting offered  this season are the season we have of quadrupling our prize money..

Just now, Passionate said:

I like Gabby he really came onto a game at the end of last season and he found a first touch from somewhere,   he was rumoured to be touch and go if he signed or not last season,  apparently got a decent deal to stay,   i can see no reason why decent deals are not getting offered  this season are the season we have of quadrupling our prize money..

You'd hope so wouldn't you. Like I say, definitely a good player but more a "squad player" than "first team regular" to use football manager parlance.

There’s no in between with our fans it’s either sugar or shite for most of them and both of these stand points are as annoying as each other imo. Happy to give the lad a chance but from what I’ve read I’m hoping it’s more or less the same chance we’ve seen given to guys like Dunlop.

1 minute ago, Diamond8 said:

There’s no in between with our fans it’s either sugar or shite for most of them and both of these stand points are as annoying as each other imo. Happy to give the lad a chance but from what I’ve read I’m hoping it’s more or less the same chance we’ve seen given to guys like Dunlop.

Not being a pedant but the negative views above are mainly from fans of other clubs who have seen/are aware of him.

Airdrie fans however are guilty of this at times.

The way I see this signing is last year how many times did we (I know I did anyway) bemoan the lack of aerial threat when Todorov wasn’t winning headers. We had great wide play last year and had some of the best crossers of the ball on show and if we have Hancock and another I.e Macdonald who can both go forward then we need someone on the end of the crosses. If this lad is 6ft4 then I don’t expect a fast tricky player. If he can be strong, a nuisance and a consistent threat from crosses then it’s job done for Todorov’s back up. When Todorov wasn’t on form we missed something upfront let’s be honest. 

I don’t see him being what our attacking hopes are pinned on I see him as another option. 

Macdonald I said I was worried about defensively but that’s because I see him being out first choice Rb/Rwb the lad Reid won’t be a starter

I know it’s not “our model” but I was really hoping we’d push the boat out a bit and sign some good Championship names to consolidate ourselves in the league. Next season’s division is so much more open and I reckon a hell of a lot tougher, as others have said I just don’t know how sustainable this “uncut gems” type player trading environ is for the Championship.