Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

48 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Shame to see Ballantyne leave. He had a pretty poor start to his time at Airdrie (three red cards in nine games!) but since the last quarter of that season he’s been very good since then. I wonder if he’s off to Partick Thistle? They need a right back with McMillan likely away and would be a step up. 

Another position to replace for us but we managed to sign a better right back on loan last season, albeit getting another Megwa is unlikely!

Rovers? We need a new right back and wasn’t Murray’s last act as airdrie boss to sign him up for you boys?

7 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Rovers? We need a new right back and wasn’t Murray’s last act as airdrie boss to sign him up for you boys?

It's a lot harder and more stressful being a diamond in the close season,drip feeding information on signings and players not signing,sad times after that great season,

13 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Good shout yeah. One of the reasons Ballantyne came to Airdrie was convenience, I think he’s based in East Kilbride and has/had a coaching school thing based at our stadium, so the hybrid set-up suited him perfectly. Perhaps he’s more up for travelling again now, and even then Kirkcaldy is a lot closer than his previous trips to Montrose. I think he’d be an improvement on Ross Millen, and certainly on James Brown, so could see Murray going for him again.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Good shout yeah. One of the reasons Ballantyne came to Airdrie was convenience, I think he’s based in East Kilbride and has/had a coaching school thing based at our stadium, so the hybrid set-up suited him perfectly. Perhaps he’s more up for travelling again now, and even then Kirkcaldy is a lot closer than his previous trips to Montrose. I think he’d be an improvement on Ross Millen, and certainly on James Brown, so could see Murray going for him again.

Think he would be a great addition tbh , feel for you boys getting good players cherry picked but it’s the way it is🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

It's a lot harder and more stressful being a diamond in the close season,drip feeding information on signings and players not signing,sad times after that great season,

Yeah must be a nightmare for you boys the now, unfortunately price of you having a good season. 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Yeah must be a nightmare for you boys the now, unfortunately price of you having a good season. 

I'd have liked him to stay but the fact is he was our 3rd best full-back last season. He's as solid as they come for a bottom half Championship team but not really convinced he'd add much to a title contender.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd have liked him to stay but the fact is he was our 3rd best full-back last season. He's as solid as they come for a bottom half Championship team but not really convinced he'd add much to a title contender.

That’s certainly a glass half full perspective

Edited by diamond_for_life

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don’t disagree with this too much. If we stayed as a back four he wouldn’t have played.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

That’s certainly a half glass full perspective

I wasn't really speaking from our perspective, more in relation to whether Raith would sign him. The fact we had 2 better full-backs (in my opinion, but I think most would agree) on our budget surely suggests that there is better out there for a club with Raith's budget?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

11 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yeh, he was our 3rd best last season but I wouldn't have swapped Megwa & Hancock for any other in the league, although Harry Milne is also outstanding. That was last season though and given where we are at the moment he's a huge loss.

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree with this 100% - I wouldn’t deny for a second that I’d have liked him signed up for another season but I still think we switched to a back 3 towards the end of the season simply to shoehorn him in, as he wouldn’t have displaced Hancock or Megwa.

Of course, we have no idea how successful the lad MacDonald will be in making the step up or whether we have anyone else lined up, but I think the loss of Fordyce is far bigger than this one.

Wish nothing but the best for Cammy wherever he ends up - Rovers makes sense for the reasons outlined above - but I never really felt he lived up to the expectations he came with. He was good but nowhere near consistently enough due to injuries/suspensions and I certainly wouldn’t say he was irreplaceable.

Would be interesting to see stats on just how many games he actually played last season, and at RB for that matter. 

13 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

He’s not headed to Kirkcaldy.

Likewise to D'jaffo I'm wondering if the A77 in your username is a clue.  Fits our target profile..

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh, he was our 3rd best last season but I wouldn't have swapped Megwa & Hancock for any other in the league, although Harry Milne is also outstanding. That was last season though and given where we are at the moment he's a huge loss.

I agree he's a loss, would have really liked him to stay. The extent of how big a loss depends on who else we sign so will wait and see before judging that. He's also been managing an injury for the last season and even with an operation still seemed to be managing it. I wonder whether that has played into the club not giving him an offer that, on the face of it, he is worth.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ayr? 

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Likewise to D'jaffo I'm wondering if the A77 in your username is a clue.  Fits our target profile..

19 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Where? Hamilton or NI?

Rumours of Greenock not sure how true yet, will find out more tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

He’s thistle bound apparently 

If Jack Mcmillan is away then we are definitely in the market for a right back.