Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

33 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Not to my knowledge now mate, still chasing plenty targets but as is every other club in division. We’ve done some good early business so far imo Centre back, Wing back and striker now the priority. Plenty stuff going on in the background but could be quiet few days before next signing.

Any idea when pre-season starts? Noticed a couple of clubs are back already, guessing we’ll be in towards the end of next week.

14 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Any idea when pre-season starts? Noticed a couple of clubs are back already, guessing we’ll be in towards the end of next week.

Saturday I’m sure mate

10 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think it's this week tbh

9 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Saturday I’m sure mate

Cheers both. I was thinking we usually seem to go back on a Saturday, so that makes a lot of sense.

8 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Aw anno mate, and I hope @Diamonds02 takes it as the joke it's meant lol. 

On a 'serious' note, I think @Diamonds02 was mistaken anyway, he didn't sign on last season until 21st June (or at least that's when it was announced), which was a few days into pre-season. Plus the previous year as we all know he messed around until September.

Stinks of having an agent doing his best to play clubs off against each other until the 11th hour and beyond, which is of course Charlie's right to maximise his earnings. Interested to see whether he already has something lined up or whether they'll try and use their failed tactic of 2 years ago.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Cammy B disputing that he "declined a new contract" but not really explaining why!

Cammy Ballantyne disputes Airdrie's 'declined a new contract claim' as he opens up on exit for Morton - Daily Record

Says he left whilst they were in negotiations, so probably technically true if they hadn't arrived at the final offer yet, but it's the same end result - that he chose to go somewhere else.

Headline trying to make a negative story out of the move despite the fact every other comment he makes is positive about his time at Airdrie.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

On 15/06/2024 at 17:36, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Might not seem it but the squad’s actually starting to fill up now. 18 players by my count although that includes Rowley, Gallagher, Dunlop, Reid who may be fringe players in the squad.

The more I’ve thought about it the more I’ve felt Ballantyne will be a big miss given how comfortable he is on either side. It remains to be seen if MacDonald can be as good as either Megwa or Ballantyne at right back as it’s a fairly big step up from the Lowland League (or if Watson might move there with another centre back incoming?) but there’s no backup for Hancock now either. I think we need to bring in a centre back and a left back still.

We have numbers in midfield. McCabe, McMaster, Frizzell, Gallagher, Dunlop, McStravick, McGrattan, Armstrong. A couple of those might be on the fringes but that’s still 7 midfielders already signed up. McGrattan seems a good signing. Plenty of games for a fellow Championship club and still only 23. Armstrong’s another one like MacDonald that’s stepping up from a lower level, but given he’s been rumoured for a while I suspect it’s someone McCabe has been very keen on and I trust his judgment. Don’t think there will be many more midfielders to join, maybe one before the league starts and another on loan in September.

Still need a few forwards in. We’ve got Todorov, McGregor (not a natural striker) and Reid (unproven at this level). McStravick might play next to a more natural centre forward at times but I’d say at least another two forwards are still to be signed.

By my reckoning there should be two defenders, two forwards, one or two midfielders (although not a priority) and a backup goalie still to come in.

I would say that's about right, 6 or 7 (including loanees) still to come in before the window closes and perhaps it would be prudent to send some out on loan. Dunlop especially needs games, sat on the bench for most of last season and rarely called to action.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Prague said:

Sounds like we have paid a fee for him as well.

Does Hancock mover further forward and we play them both in a 4-4-2?

Hancock on the left of a back three is an option too if they're both starting. We never really saw that last season given how good he was at left back, I think the half hour before his injury at Raith was the only time, but he can play there.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Prague said:

Might move Hancock to CB. Or maybe he is a replacement for Hancock 😬

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Prague said:

He was out of contract, so it'll just be a development fee, although he's been with us for a long time so that might add up to a decent amount.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wonder if Hancock will play on the left of a back 3 with Bruce as a wing back? We favoured a back 5 towards the end of the season and it might make sense to have Watson, Wilson, and Hancock as a back 3 with wing backs ahead of them.

That would be a grave misuse of Hancock’s abilities in going forward