Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I don't know if I'd rate the Irish League as highly as @Ivo den Bieman but like their southern neighbours that doesn't mean isn't a good source for players.

My reasoning for first point is that all the teams barring Linfield and now Larne are part-time.

That hasn't stopped Cliftonville being regular contenders but they tend to drop off. They have some good players such as the Hale brothers who came back from England after spending time in the academy in England.

I watched them play Raith last season and they were readily brushed aside but had a few players missing at the time.

I don't know if Wilson played and I don't know too much about him but good luck to the lad anyway. Certainly seems to have something about him.

Signings from that league can be hit or miss but the standard of player seems better in recent years.

22 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I don't know if I'd rate the Irish League as highly as @Ivo den Bieman but like their southern neighbours that doesn't mean isn't a good source for players.

My reasoning for first point is that all the teams barring Linfield and now Larne are part-time.

That hasn't stopped Cliftonville being regular contenders but they tend to drop off. They have some good players such as the Hale brothers who came back from England after spending time in the academy in England.

I watched them play Raith last season and they were readily brushed aside but had a few players missing at the time.

I don't know if Wilson played and I don't know too much about him but good luck to the lad anyway. Certainly seems to have something about him.

Signings from that league can be hit or miss but the standard of player seems better in recent years.

There appears to be more 'value' in scouting the Irish market for players, don't get me wrong we have had a few crackers over the years especially with Joe (Baresi( Gorman, James Daly and Eoighan Stokes,  in the Championship now players are looking for 1 k a week, that's not sustainable for most clubs,  

Regarding the Irish League they seem to have a bit of money with Champions League playoffs etc,   The Southern League with Bo's, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers etc seems to get the most publicity and is probably a slightly higher standard..

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

There appears to be more 'value' in scouting the Irish market for players, don't get me wrong we have had a few crackers over the years especially with Joe (Baresi( Gorman, James Daly and Eoighan Stokes,  in the Championship now players are looking for 1 k a week, that's not sustainable for most clubs,  

Regarding the Irish League they seem to have a bit of money with Champions League playoffs etc,   The Southern League with Bo's, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers etc seems to get the most publicity and is probably a slightly higher standard..

I think most of the LoI teams have full-time outfits these days so I'd agree they would have the edge at the moment over their 6 county neighbours.

On 21/05/2024 at 20:07, Kenny_m said:

With regards "new" signings I think it's quite clear the model of signing young players will continue and quite honestly having a look around the guy's freed from other championship clubs, it might be the way to go. For what it's worth I would think Nathan Shaw or Jakubiak could be decent signings for us.

Nathan Shaw another decent signing for Morton and I guy particularly like despite his hair!

18 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Nathan Shaw another decent signing for Morton and I guy particularly like despite his hair!

Not really kept up with other teams signings but Morton seem to be building a decent squad

3 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Would certainly agree that the LoI is of a higher standard than the Irish Premiership, but still I reckon the top 4-5 sides would have little problem in the Scottish Championship. Let's not forget some of our Championship teams are hybrid in terms of mixing f/t and p/t players so not much different really. Cliftonville have had some really decent players coming through in the last few seasons - Liam Boyce and Joe Gormley, for example.

Wouldn't particularly seek to judge an injury hit side in a cup people only really get excited about in the last four or last eight.

anyway, not to derail Airdrie's thread! Let's see how the new player does for them in the season ahead.

Murray Aiken back.

Good move that will suit both clubs, hopefully he gets a full season as what I think he showed up quite well when he was available last term.

Hopefully a centre half, a full back and Ben Wilson to go?

EDIT: Only on loan until Jan…

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

Happy with Aiken coming back. There’s always the worry when players are injured/not playing that they get better with every week they’re out but I do think we badly missed Aiken for the first few months he was out before McCabe changed shape. The only time we really made a 4-3-3 work last season was with Aiken in there to cover loads of ground, after that our best performances were with a diamond or a 3-5-2. 

I suspect that might be us done for central midfielders now, maybe one more depending on McStravick’s injury. It’s a young midfield, I think the hope will be that guys like McMaster step up a level this season.

Happy to have Aiken back. Plenty of midfield options now so unless Gallagher or Dunlop go out on loan I can’t see many more midfielders added, maybe just one if any. I’d still like to see a more experienced midfielder sign. Centre half, right back and a whole host of forwards still to come hopefully.

14 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Happy with Aiken coming back. There’s always the worry when players are injured/not playing that they get better with every week they’re out but I do think we badly missed Aiken for the first few months he was out before McCabe changed shape. The only time we really made a 4-3-3 work last season was with Aiken in there to cover loads of ground, after that our best performances were with a diamond or a 3-5-2. 

I suspect that might be us done for central midfielders now, maybe one more depending on McStravick’s injury. It’s a young midfield, I think the hope will be that guys like McMaster step up a level this season.

Delighted with this signing, I've said many times that he's different from our other midfielders in that he can win the ball back and provides loads of pace and energy. Hopefully he keeps injury free and we can see the best of him.

Delighted to get Aiken back. Thought he was one of our best and most consistent players before his injury. Can win and carry the ball, and plays with a bit of intensity and pace that we lacked at times last season. I thought he looked a real prospect and think he would have been a contender for YPotY had he stayed fit and kept his levels up the entire season. Hopefully this time we’ll get a full season out of him. 

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Murray Aiken back.

Good move that will suit both clubs, hopefully he gets a full season as what I think he showed up quite well when he was available last term.

Hopefully a centre half, a full back and Ben Wilson to go?

EDIT: Only on loan until Jan…

I saw Darragh O’Connor’s name mentioned on the Facebook group. Not sure how likely that is to happen. But he’s a decent and experienced Championship centre-half and probably as good as we can get on our budget. Would be happy to sign him if there’s anything in it. 

Just now, airdrieman said:

I saw Darragh O’Connor’s name mentioned on the Facebook group. Not sure how likely that is to happen. But he’s a decent and experienced Championship centre-half and probably as good as we can get on our budget. Would be happy to sign him if there’s anything in it. 

Signed for York City.

3 minutes ago, AirdrieDaft77 said:

Hearing that both Hancock and McMaster could be away down south. Anyone heard of any clubs interested or any rumoured fees ??

I know there were at least a couple of clubs had McMaster watched over the course of last season, even as early as JD's move to Crystal Palace but I don't know of any confirmed club names.

Can’t begrudge him that if he does sign. A huge wage increase and another shot at the Premiership. I don’t think he’s as good as Turner so whether or not he’d make it I’m not sure. But fair play. 

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I know some people had mentioned Dylan Corr as a potential signing but looks like he’s off to Morton.

Disappointed Airdrie didn’t go for him. Morton have made some solid signings so far on paper.