Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Went along today just out of curiosity to see some of the new signings. Was everything I expected to see in a pre season game tbh so not really sure if you can take anything out of it. Would say out of the new guys, Armstrong (who was one of the names trialists), Agyemang and Lewis McGratten stood out for me the most.

No. 23 the other trialist wasn't Stevie Warnock from Killie, apparently he's a young winger QPR, didn't stand out that much particularly in the first half but he did lob the keeper and hit the bar. 

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Went along today just out of curiosity to see some of the new signings. Was everything I expected to see in a pre season game tbh so not really sure if you can take anything out of it. Would say out of the new guys, Armstrong (who was one of the names trialists), Agyemang and Lewis McGratten stood out for me the most.

No. 23 the other trialist wasn't Stevie Warnock from Killie, apparently he's a young winger QPR, didn't stand out that much particularly in the first half but he did lob the keeper and hit the bar. 

Steven Bala maybe?

IMG_6314.png

5 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

I think that I remember that game, I think that Jim March had recently signed and was playing in a more forward role.

I was standing in my usual spot behind the goals at the Gartlea end.

March signed for us as a centre forward and converted to centre back (no idea on the timeframe). Of course in those days in Scotland it was the home team who played in a change kit if there was a clash. Can you remember who we were playing?

Jim March was a centre forward in his early days at Airdrie, not without success. I remember a game at Broomfield near the end of the 1974/75 season when he scored a hat-trick against Dunfermline in a 5-2 win in the old First Division which then became the Premier League. Unfortunately we finished 11th of 18 and were relegated.

12 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

March signed for us as a centre forward and converted to centre back (no idea on the timeframe). Of course in those days in Scotland it was the home team who played in a change kit if there was a clash. Can you remember who we were playing?

I think it might have been Clyde.

Not sure though!

Obviously yesterday's friendly doesn't tell as much about the new signings but Aygemang in midfield looked strong, quick and could also see a pass. With Aiken in there as well they could provide a bit more energy and pace to complement the other types we have in that area, something that we lacked last season. 

On 28/06/2024 at 15:49, Diamond8 said:

What’s with the common assumption that Lamie is signing for us? As much as it would be a welcome addition in an area that we need to recruit it just doesn’t seem like our kind of signing.

No chance of us getting Lamie, couldn't afford him.

Hearing Chris Mochrie is a done deal. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

How did Lewis McGrattan do yesterday lads? 

Aaron Lyall looks like he's going to be a class act for us going by his performance yesterday. 

He came on at Half time and was never out of 2nd gear,  looked decent but was really no more than a training game ( no disrespect to rovers).   Lewis he is a player , I cannot really remember playing  or standing out against us,  that means nothing right enough... I think he will be one of our starters..   All positive at our end..

You will enjoy Lyall he reminds me of a style of footballer of bygone days,  he will make mistakes,  but is a good player..

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

How did Lewis McGrattan do yesterday lads? 

Aaron Lyall looks like he's going to be a class act for us going by his performance yesterday. 

McGrattan did fine and can obviously play but a friendly against a Lowland league side ain't much of a test.

Lyall can play also, he has a little burst over 5 yards where he can leave players for dead but gave the ball away too cheaply on many occasions, that should come though.