Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Thank you to the Airdrie players for last night's pumping of EK. Reality check a certain chicken connoisseur needed.

On a more serious note, having watched the highlights, your lads look very sharp.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

What’s not to be positive aboit

scored 8 goals

good confidence boost

minutes for olayers

best of all is wee mick greeting into his roast chicken

I did say I was optimistic but thought they were diabolical.

Yes, no time for wee Mick after that ridiculous " soldiers of war" team talk with Darvel.

On 16/07/2024 at 15:20, Passionate said:

Where did Joe Gorman and James Daly sign from back in the day,  remember them...

Joe Gorman came from Maidenhead Utd, prior to that he was with Drogheda and Bray. He's now back in Ireland. 

Daly came from Drogheda, so a bit of a "former player of..." connection with the 2 of them. 

As for last night very well done to the team, surprised by just how bad EK were, could not cope with our forwards. Their GK was suicidal at times. Some really well taken goals by us. 

The BBC site shows 50% possession for both sides - the similarity stops there as we were miles ahead of them up front - a total collapse. In fact they were lucky we didn't hit double figures, so used to winning week in week out EK were suddenly facing opposition streets ahead of them. 

McGregor has now scored in every pre league season game - 6 in total over 4 games covering Albion Rovers, Crusaders, St. Mirren and EK. 

14 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Joe Gorman came from Maidenhead Utd, prior to that he was with Drogheda and Bray. He's now back in Ireland. 

Daly came from Drogheda, so a bit of a "former player of..." connection with the 2 of them. 

As for last night very well done to the team, surprised by just how bad EK were, could not cope with our forwards. Their GK was suicidal at times. Some really well taken goals by us. 

The BBC site shows 50% possession for both sides - the similarity stops there as we were miles ahead of them up front - a total collapse. In fact they were lucky we didn't hit double figures, so used to winning week in week out EK were suddenly facing opposition streets ahead of them. 

McGregor has now scored in every pre league season game - 6 in total over 4 games covering Albion Rovers, Crusaders, St. Mirren and EK. 

It will be hard to rest anybody after last night,   would think Todorov, Reid and McGrattan will play the bulk of the minutes at Dumbarton to keep the whole squad ticking over....

On a different note,  noticed a large walk in skip in the main car park and a cherry picker,  apart from new PA system is anything else getting done to the stadium..

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

It will be hard to rest anybody after last night,   would think Todorov, Reid and McGrattan will play the bulk of the minutes at Dumbarton to keep the whole squad ticking over....

On a different note,  noticed a large walk in skip in the main car park and a cherry picker,  apart from new PA system is anything else getting done to the stadium..

Probably for the new signage going up, stadium name etc, seen a couple of new sponsor boards up as well. Would love to see the scoreboards replaced but that can wait, can't imagine that would be cheap

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I

Was in Lidls a couple of days ago and there was a boy up in the cherry picker power washing the outside of the stadium.

Edited by Davi3j
Crap spelling

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

the cherry picker was there over the weekend and it was there to help install the new PA system as well as change the signage for the jack dalziel stand

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

Did you see the (as we used to say) "snazzy new" dugouts, complete with padded seats (well not quite complete for the away team! 🤔) - what you would call "brammers"! 

MKM logos on them, I wonder if they contributed to the cost. 

38 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Did you see the (as we used to say) "snazzy new" dugouts, complete with padded seats (well not quite complete for the away team! 🤔) - what you would call "brammers"! 

MKM logos on them, I wonder if they contributed to the cost. 

Couldn't miss them as you say,  has a 'big time' feel to them,   Stadium looks good apart from the pink fire exits and the shrubbery growing out the gutters of the AMS stand......

Hard to imagine the stadium has been up for more than 25 years,  it still gets known as the new park in certain circles..

20 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

Thank you to the Airdrie players for last night's pumping of EK. Reality check a certain chicken connoisseur needed.

On a more serious note, having watched the highlights, your lads look very sharp.

Was nice to get one over the Angel of Love, or whatever he calls himself. 

17 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

I know there was talk on P&B about McGregor a couple of weeks back and how much he would contribute this season.  I know he bagged a goal late last season and Rhys talked about how they had worked with him to get confidence about getting goals etc. genuinely thought pre- season that this might be his time to shine and make a big step up. Will he be getting six goals every 4 games, No.  but his pace and composure will surely see him set up plenty for Wilson, Toddy and others as well as getting a few himself.  Obviously we have still to face really tough tests but hoping he comes through the LC games ready to make an impact on the league 

57 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I know there was talk on P&B about McGregor a couple of weeks back and how much he would contribute this season.  I know he bagged a goal late last season and Rhys talked about how they had worked with him to get confidence about getting goals etc. genuinely thought pre- season that this might be his time to shine and make a big step up. Will he be getting six goals every 4 games, No.  but his pace and composure will surely see him set up plenty for Wilson, Toddy and others as well as getting a few himself.  Obviously we have still to face really tough tests but hoping he comes through the LC games ready to make an impact on the league 

Will be interesting to see how the team settles,  Mochrie,  McGrattan and Todorov have not really had any worthwhile minutes yet,  I think all 3 would expect to play,  we have plenty options for once,  agree about CB being the only real gap in the squad at the moment..

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

agree about CB being the only real gap in the squad at the moment..

Danny Wilson about to leave Queens Park....

Armstrong's through ball picking out McGregor's run and his nice finish is the kind of partnership you are desperate for in a team. To have developed it after a few games shows they are on the same wavelength and that move and finish will work against any team including Aberdeen. Armstrong's pass to McDonald to set up Wilson's hat trick was another brilliant pass.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Danny Wilson about to leave Queens Park....

Very good player bags of experience, can only imagine it's been a fall out with Davidson,  I wonder where he will rock up next...

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Will be interesting to see how the team settles,  Mochrie,  McGrattan and Todorov have not really had any worthwhile minutes yet,  I think all 3 would expect to play,  we have plenty options for once,  agree about CB being the only real gap in the squad at the moment..

Mochrie was in a moon boot last game of the season for us so has probably missed pre-season training.

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I fear that Frizzel may be competing for his place this year…

Agree that Frizz probably wasn't at his best in the last game (or at least there were others that outperformed him), but he still played a lovely ball over to McGregor that won us the penalty, and delivered the corner that Hancock scored from. Definitely would have liked to see him show the composure of Wilson and McGregor for the shot he ballooned over the bar, but he wasn't bad by any stretch.

And competition for places can only be a good thing.