Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

35 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Aberdeen want Hancock too I’ve heard. Airdrie are quoting a transfer fee of £500k.

That’s a much of a ‘hands off’ fee as I’ve seen for a while. Doubt we will get that kind of money but shows we fancy a go at going up this season imo

21 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

That’s a much of a ‘hands off’ fee as I’ve seen for a while. Doubt we will get that kind of money but shows we fancy a go at going up this season imo

Heard that Aberdeen reckon they would be able to resell him on down England for a good fee - they quoted 7 figures to Airdrie. Mad they have let him go for free, now looking at signing him back.

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Heard that Aberdeen reckon they would be able to resell him on down England for a good fee - they quoted 7 figures to Airdrie. Mad they have let him go for free, now looking at signing him back.

Losing Hancock would be a huge blow but I dont think we would turn down anything over £200,000, given he would go for free at the end of the season that would be the right call I think but would leave us needing two defenders in pretty sharp.

reading through this again after the good perfomance up at Aberdeen, i whole heartedly agree that we should get in a 2nd string striker should the worse come to fear and that B. Wilson does end up injured for a considerable amount of time, however i was at the Dumbarton game last saturday...and to me...Reid looks almost like a younger version of Toddy...big and physical but hes also willing to chase the ball down and harrass defenders when they have the ball, im certain that within a few months we will have Reid playing like a better Toddy, as for Cooper i can see him and McGregor being pushed out towards the wings and reverting back to our 4-3-3, too many times for my liking have we been caught high up the pitch inside their 3rd, with Hancock/Bruce/Macdonald being up far too high and we just get countered on
image.thumb.png.bb63a5096e998700b36271cee73617e5.png

As someone said earlier there’s no way we’ll hold out for 500 thousand for Hancock anything from 150 upwards with sell on fees would 100% be accepted.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

As someone said earlier there’s no way we’ll hold out for 500 thousand for Hancock anything from 150 upwards with sell on fees would 100% be accepted.

As good as Hancock is I’m not sure we’re in a position to reject a decent offer for a left-back. Likewise with McMaster if the rumours are true that there’s interest in him. We shouldn’t sell them if the offer isn’t right or fair but any sort of six figure offer would be hard to turn down. 

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

As good as Hancock is I’m not sure we’re in a position to reject a decent offer for a left-back. Likewise with McMaster if the rumours are true that there’s interest in him. We shouldn’t sell them if the offer isn’t right or fair but any sort of six figure offer would be hard to turn down. 

Be stupid not to. Got him on a free and potentially could get a sell on there as well.

McCabes model is clearly going to be get young talented players and give them a platform for first team football but my concern is how long is it going to last.

You have everyone raving about his style of play and the only leverage Airdrie have over an SPL team if they come knocking is that he can still play if he wants to as he’s only 31.

It looks like Armstrong, Wilson, McDonald and Tyrel (not going to attempt to butcher his surname 😂) are all great signings which could be worrying if they all shine and we get offers for them.

Early days yet but positive we can get safety secured this season early bells, then start looking up the league.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

Be stupid not to. Got him on a free and potentially could get a sell on there as well.

McCabes model is clearly going to be get young talented players and give them a platform for first team football but my concern is how long is it going to last.

You have everyone raving about his style of play and the only leverage Airdrie have over an SPL team if they come knocking is that he can still play if he wants to as he’s only 31.

It looks like Armstrong, Wilson, McDonald and Tyrel (not going to attempt to butcher his surname 😂) are all great signings which could be worrying if they all shine and we get offers for them.

Early days yet but positive we can get safety secured this season early bells, then start looking up the league.

Tyrell is on Loan is he not?

Edited by cb_diamond

15 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Losing Hancock would be a huge blow but I dont think we would turn down anything over £200,000, given he would go for free at the end of the season that would be the right call I think but would leave us needing two defenders in pretty sharp.

Yeah the issue is his contract (presumably) being up at the end of the season. Any club desperate to get him would be better waiting a year and putting the transfer fee into higher wages to attract him instead of spending a large fee. With a season to go I'd say upwards of £100k and, crucially, a good sell-on clause, would be a good deal.

When we signed Bruce I assumed Hancock would be away so fully expect him to leave. Him putting in a good showing against Aberdeen was a nice bonus that probably adds a bit to his fee.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

But you had no problem butchering Terrell’s first name 🤪😂

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Agree it does indeed have a shelf life,  we have yet to really see how this team performs although early signs are good,  I would say as long as Rhys is there the philosophy will stay the same...   This season yes looking beyond that ??

A lot of the players we are signing have had a good pedigree for various reasons team have cut them loose....

Mason Hancock looks to be the next player to go up a level again,  he is an excellent all round modern football player,...

Cammy Bruce comes highly rated and I don't think he is here to sit on the bench (or the gaming chairs we now have),   

If Mason goes we will need cover,  how about Flynn Duffy ex DU. Another Consilium player.,  you wouldn't rule it out..

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yeah the issue is his contract (presumably) being up at the end of the season. Any club desperate to get him would be better waiting a year and putting the transfer fee into higher wages to attract him instead of spending a large fee. With a season to go I'd say upwards of £100k and, crucially, a good sell-on clause, would be a good deal.

When we signed Bruce I assumed Hancock would be away so fully expect him to leave. Him putting in a good showing against Aberdeen was a nice bonus that probably adds a bit to his fee.

If more than one club is after him, waiting would run the risk of missing out

4 hours ago, KD1711 said:

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Agree it does indeed have a shelf life,  we have yet to really see how this team performs although early signs are good,  I would say as long as Rhys is there the philosophy will stay the same...   This season yes looking beyond that ??

A lot of the players we are signing have had a good pedigree for various reasons team have cut them loose....

Mason Hancock looks to be the next player to go up a level again,  he is an excellent all round modern football player,...

Cammy Bruce comes highly rated and I don't think he is here to sit on the bench (or the gaming chairs we now have),   

If Mason goes we will need cover,  how about Flynn Duffy ex DU. Another Consilium player.,  you wouldn't rule it out..

I think for me the worry is how much our style and recruitment is intrinsically tied to McCabe and Consillium. How much of that infrastructure or philosophy is really the club’s, as opposed to McCabe’s as an individual? Can’t fault the club for their last two managerial appointments, the support they’ve given McCabe and the infrastructural improvements made. And I would back them to get the next managerial appointment right. But in terms of recruitment and on the park business, is it embedded in a way that things can continue as they are, at least relatively, once McCabe goes? E.g. would we still get Andy Young scouting and recruiting players or does all of that go with McCabe? I think we are (hopefully) in a solid position on and off the park where we can continue to do well at this level when he does go and, on the face of it, Hetherington will give a manager time, support, freedom and resources within a budget. So I’m not going to worry about it just now, but it probably is something to think about.  

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think for me the worry is how much our style and recruitment is intrinsically tied to McCabe and Consillium. How much of that infrastructure or philosophy is really the club’s, as opposed to McCabe’s as an individual? Can’t fault the club for their last two managerial appointments, the support they’ve given McCabe and the infrastructural improvements made. And I would back them to get the next managerial appointment right. But in terms of recruitment and on the park business, is it embedded in a way that things can continue as they are, at least relatively, once McCabe goes? E.g. would we still get Andy Young scouting and recruiting players or does all of that go with McCabe? I think we are (hopefully) in a solid position on and off the park where we can continue to do well at this level when he does go and, on the face of it, Hetherington will give a manager time, support, freedom and resources within a budget. So I’m not going to worry about it just now, but it probably is something to think about.  

Apparently we have a scouting guy with a massive database of all the younger players so it looks like it’s a Moneyball type recruitment style.

Certain players come in give them platform to showcase and grow then move on for a fee.

We have been promoted, won a cup and then got into the play offs with this so hopefully we go one step further this year, would be amazing to see the potential if we managed to get into the SPL.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Excuse my ignorance lads. I see Consilium mentioned a lot in here. What's that about? Some sort of agency or talent scouting set up?

It's Jackie McNamara's agency. Rhys McCabe is tied in very closely with him and A guy called Andy Young who appears to be his chief talent scout. We have have a LOT of consillium players through our books in the last 2 years (can't mind the exact number but in the 15+ ballpark). Appears we're on first refusal a lot of the time, although that's purely my speculation.