Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Edited to add that I've just noticed that Devenny isn't even stripped today!

Possibly outwith our control but this needs wrapped up pronto. Aside from showing up the ITK posters, it’s dragged on far too long… and we could get some players in with the pay off.

3 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Possibly outwith our control but this needs wrapped up pronto. Aside from showing up the ITK posters, it’s dragged on far too long… and we could get some players in with the pay off.

I would like to think him not being stripped today is indeed a sign that something is imminent.

A shame to lose the game but it was a lot more competitive than I expected after the first 10 minutes. I thought we did well to come back into the game after that and probably had the better of the play between County’s 2nd and 3rd goals. Their 3rd goal was such a daft one to concede, I know you can argue it was a foul but ATS needs to be much stronger there. 

I thought McMaster was our best player, always picking up good positions and moving the ball with purpose. O’Connor made a real impact and him hammering down the line and winning the penalty was great, good for him to score such an important goal too. I think that an impact sub might be his best role, I certainly wouldn’t fancy playing 80 minutes then having him coming on fresh and charging at me.

You get a lot of moany managers in football but Malky Mackay must be the most annoying. The only time he shut up was O’Connor’s goal. I enjoyed literally all of our fans having no time for him or his antics.

Strange feeling fairly positive after a defeat, great fight back after a bad first 10 mins. County are a gang thought gal did well up top himself Mcmaster outstanding!

Dont want to sound like a broken record but we have to get a winger/striker in Lewis Mcgregor passenger again today, granted O’Connor done well when he came on but we’ve got to be looking at an upgrade there. Plenty positives to take onto next week.

Brilliant cup tie. Their ruthlessness, pace and physicality made the difference in the end but proud of the team for going head-to-head with a Premiership side. Soft goals to lose - ATS far too soft at the 3rd although other than that I thought he had a good game, and the 4th goal again too easy. But lots of positives to take from that. McMaster and Aiken outstanding in the middle of the park and Ballantyne was very good once again. That’s Gal got 3 goals in 2 games now and O’Connor made a big impact off the bench. Definitely think that’s the role for him atm. Great to have Todorov back and for Hancock to get a run out too. Didn’t see him defend much but he looks composed enough on the ball. Right enjoyed that. We won’t play many teams as physical, streetwise or quick this season so to give as good an account of ourselves against such a team is encouraging. 

Couldn’t put up with Malky Mackay as my club’s manager for obvious reasons. But even if that wasn’t the case, no chance could I watch his antics on the sidelines every week. Insufferable. Nothing against County historically but I wish them nothing but ill whilst he’s in charge. 

22 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Strange feeling fairly positive after a defeat, great fight back after a bad first 10 mins. County are a gang thought gal did well up top himself Mcmaster outstanding!

Dont want to sound like a broken record but we have to get a winger/striker in Lewis Mcgregor passenger again today, granted O’Connor done well when he came on but we’ve got to be looking at an upgrade there. Plenty positives to take onto next week.

Yeh, you can't help thinking that a couple of quality signings and we can surpass all expectations this year.

Was fearing a bit of a hiding after the first 10 minutes but brilliant character from the team to come back to 3-3 and force extra time.

From up in the stands I did think Simon Murray used his elbow on ATS and the 3rd goal shouldn't have stood but I'd need to see it again.

Delighted for Josh O'Connor, came on, won the penalty and got an important goal, I do think his performances haven't been as good as the likes of Gal and Gabby, I do see some potential in there and he'll only get better.

Can't argue with the performance, we've shown time and time again that we are able to compete against much bigger teams than ourselves.

With a few solid additions I'm more than confident that we can hold our own in the Championship.

If you look at this game with the glass half empty, maybe just maybe with a couple of quality additions we might have won this tie.  But yes, it’s hard to complain after a great showing from the lads.   Easy to take the positives and again, same as last week, I’d give everyone pass marks.  McMaster was easily our best player but Gal did well against a physical side intent on making sure he had a tough afternoon.  O’Connor played really well tbf and in ET, after fighting for a ball in midfield and chasing it down to the goal line, his cross was met with no Airdrie players at all. I honestly think nobody thought he was going to reach the ball and make the cross. He’s got pace and a lot of heart, hoping this performance helps him kick on.  Friz, Janny etc gave their usual 100% and in the end it was the physicality and smart play from RC that won the day.  More than enough to see we will be competitive in the Championship this year - just a shame we aren’t in the hat to pick up some extra cash in the LC.  

Having a look at the players still available, either on loan or on frees and surprisingly for this time of the season there are still some decent players without clubs or signed up on season long loans. I appreciate McCabe only wants to sign players who fit into/compliments our style of play, however there isn't an endless list of players who will remain available. A couple of injuries and/or suspensions and we are beyond stretched. I'm not suggesting we sign all of them, just highlighting there are still players available that would strengthen the team/squad

Ross Stewart - Keeper freed from Hearts, would provide some much needed cover for Rae

Dylan McGowan - Experienced Centre Half who has experience playing in this division with Killie & Hamilton

Euan East - Versatile Centre Half/Left Back/Striker who has experience playing in this division

Dan O'Reilly - Played very well in the play off final

Brody Patterson - Played well for us previously

Connor Smith - Not the first to highlight him, would more than do us a turn

David Wotherspoon - Provide some strength to the CM position, would free up McCabe to provide back up in defence if/when needed

Lewis Jamieson - Having played last season, he knows and fits into our style and offers another goal threat.

Not much to add to the posts above on today's game. Disappointing to be caught cold in the first 10 minutes, which I think was down to the difference between PL and Championship teams. However, our performance after that was really encouraging. Came away from the game thinking that if we can play like that regularly in the league we'll be absolutely fine. Would still like to see a couple of players in but let's see what pans out there. As mentioned above, hopefully the fact that Devenny wasn't on the bench today means the deal is just about done (hopefully with a loan back included).

The whole team put in a great shift today which is becoming the norm for this team. Every player seems totally committed and bought into what we're trying to do. McCabe has to get credit for that. Gal got motm but you could have picked from half a dozen others.

Lots of twists and turns to come through the season but right now I'm feeling positive.

Still smarting a wee bit at that moaning faced McKay getting a win in ET. It was a desperate start as they pressed us so high and whilst Turner hit a good strike I'd need to see the passage of play for both those goals

It was a great run and pass by Friz and so much a shame that we lost our chance for an equaliser to ,  maybe, a wee shove by Murray. Even then had Gabby heard us all shouting square it, instead of running in, we'd have been just one behind.

Great fight back in second half although their defender probably gifted us the penalty

It was great reward for Gal to score as he had a very good game, unassisted by the Ref, and it was so exciting to get the third.

Alas it was not to be and their sheer physicality won them the game.

On the matter of County players I've often heard of hairy arsed centre Half's, ball playing central defenders but until today I'd never seen a centre half taking all the throw ins! 

On to the league now and whilst it's no pleasure to see QP with 9 points, it's keeping Arbroath below us!

48 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

On to the league now and whilst it's no pleasure to see QP with 9 points, it's keeping Arbroath below us!

I have to say I’m totally surprised that QP have started perfectly but not surprised that they took 3 points from Arbroath or that Arbroath are now anchored at the bottom.  Already they are in trouble and heads must be down.  You have to figure that QP at home will be one of their better opportunities to get off the mark.  I’m not expecting a run of wins from us, but to stay undefeated over the next 3 or 4 games would be a good achievement. 

Edited by FLDiamond

10 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I have to say I’m totally surprised that QP have started perfectly but not surprised that they took 3 points from Arbroath or that Arbroath are now anchored at the bottom.  Already they are in trouble and heads must be down.  You have to figure that QP at home is will be one of their better opportunities to get off the mark.  I’m not expecting a run of wins from us, but to stay undefeated over the next 3 or 4 games would be a good achievement. 

QP have been a bit fortunate that they’ve had an easier start with a struggling Inverness, Arbroath at home and then a rearranged trip to Arbroath. It’s all about getting points on the board though and they’ve done a very good job of that so far. 

If we can beat Inverness next week then that would be a fantastic start. Every game will be tough in this league but it would be good to go to Gayfield in a few weeks with a slight buffer, as the aim, certainly initially, needs to be picking up as many points as we can and opening up a gap on a team below us.

9 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I have to say I’m totally surprised that QP have started perfectly but not surprised that they took 3 points from Arbroath or that Arbroath are now anchored at the bottom.  Already they are in trouble and heads must be down.  You have to figure that QP at home is will be one of their better opportunities to get off the mark.  I’m not expecting a run of wins from us, but to stay undefeated over the next 3 or 4 games would be a good achievement. 

Quite honestly, next game is already a massive match. A win would take us 6 points clear of Arbroath & Inverness at the bottom after 3 games which despite our promising start is still where i’m looking. Funny thing is, that we are now expecting that to be the case. 

1 hour ago, Mabawsa Ritchie said:

Having a look at the players still available, either on loan or on frees and surprisingly for this time of the season there are still some decent players without clubs or signed up on season long loans. I appreciate McCabe only wants to sign players who fit into/compliments our style of play, however there isn't an endless list of players who will remain available. A couple of injuries and/or suspensions and we are beyond stretched. I'm not suggesting we sign all of them, just highlighting there are still players available that would strengthen the team/squad

Ross Stewart - Keeper freed from Hearts, would provide some much needed cover for Rae

Dylan McGowan - Experienced Centre Half who has experience playing in this division with Killie & Hamilton

Euan East - Versatile Centre Half/Left Back/Striker who has experience playing in this division

Dan O'Reilly - Played very well in the play off final

Brody Patterson - Played well for us previously

Connor Smith - Not the first to highlight him, would more than do us a turn

David Wotherspoon - Provide some strength to the CM position, would free up McCabe to provide back up in defence if/when needed

Lewis Jamieson - Having played last season, he knows and fits into our style and offers another goal threat.

Ross stewart 😂

Cant help but feel that losing 2 quick goals in the first 10 mins and another right after scoring is something to do with focus and rigor and can be practiced against. That said 3-4 AET is a great effort against a premier league team especially when the squad hasn't really been strengthened all that much over the summer. 

Would rather lose a cup game than a league game as every point is critical this season in order to stay up and there are plenty of positives that can be taken from this game.