Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

Amazing. 

Woke up this morning and heard a radio report about last night's result in Norway... it wasn't a dream, we actually DID beat them with 2 late goals. 

Can still scarcely believe it, but I'll take it. 

One of our nephews was at the game. His condition is unknown. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Let's just pump Georgia and set our sights on Germany, shall we?

(P.S. - Haaland is a total fraud compared to the Aussie)

IMG_20230618_002958.thumb.png.6fb0f33a096f9fc08fb75e2c0ec15889.png

Brilliant.

Great win last night and one that was deserved. Norway for all their possession at times did little or nothing with it.

Andy Robertson superb. McGinn, Dykes for the goals and McTominay all superb.

Porteous and Hendry a bit bombscarish with their ill-discipline.

19 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Amazing. 

Woke up this morning and heard a radio report about last night's result in Norway... it wasn't a dream, we actually DID beat them with 2 late goals. 

Can still scarcely believe it, but I'll take it. 

One of our nephews was at the game. His condition is unknown. 

I've not examined him but pretty confident he's suffering from delirium.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats the time between the goals. Something like half of it was used in celebrating the first though.

30 seconds. You can hear the ko whistle on the radio commentary.

9 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I watched a video about him, filmed in his home town, where everyone they interviewed was pronouncing it like that. They were saying Erling differently as well.

Leeds?

10 hours ago, ropy said:

How far up the rankings are we likely to jump, it seems slow progress given the results we have had.

We actually went down in the last rankings somehow!

The morning after the night before, as a Killie fan it would have been utterly selfish to keep him to ourselves & I am astonished  that the SFA finally got something right. Breaking new ground as a Scotland supporter being positive about anything but mibbe John Carver is actually a decent coach who was right all along.

10 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I watched a video about him, filmed in his home town, where everyone they interviewed was pronouncing it like that. They were saying Erling differently as well.

Similarly, when Johan Cruyff, died I watch a lot videos from his Ajax and Feyenoord days and was stunned to hear every single Dutch commentator pronouncing his name as 'Crouff' 'with the crou' pronounced as in 'crouch'.

I watched the game on Dutch TV and the Dutch commentator pronounced Haaland the way most of us have been pronouncing it, kind of weird you'd think saying Holland would be easier, you're spot on with the Cruyff pronunciation.

Commentators sound like such wankers when they show off that they know how one player's name is pronounced in their home country and then just butcher the pronouncations of every other player in the team. Norwegian, Spanish, Georgian, etc commentators and fans aren't going to be pronouncing the Scottish players' names the same way Scottish people will. It's fine.

Just watched the highlights. f**k me, that second goal. As well worked as any you’re likely to see. And the finish. Sublime. 

What is this Scotland team, and what has it done with the bodies of decades of huddys that we had become so accustomed to? 

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Commentators sound like such wankers when they show off that they know how one player's name is pronounced in their home country and then just butcher the pronouncations of every other player in the team. Norwegian, Spanish, Georgian, etc commentators and fans aren't going to be pronouncing the Scottish players' names the same way Scottish people will. It's fine.

Aye absolutely, case in point the Dutch guy last night when the 2nd goal went in shouted "Mcleeeen" and I was totally fine with that because it was an absolute beauty of a goal.

Fantastic result - sign of a great team to pull out a win when far from your best.

What an amazing time to be a Scotland fan, happy to have been pushing back against some of the absolute shite some of the players get on this sub forum. We are a really good team, the table doesn't lie.

Time to change the description of this sub forum? It's no abject source of misery that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

I actually like Jonathan Pearce for pronouncing players' names correctly. It's professional and respectful and as important as knowing some stats and details about players. 

But aye, doing it inconsistently would be weird and lazy.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

I actually like Jonathan Pearce for pronouncing players' names correctly. It's professional and respectful and as important as knowing some stats and details about players. 

But aye, doing it inconsistently would be weird and lazy.

If you're going to make the effort to do that for every player you commentate on, fair play. I don't think it's anywhere near as important as actually knowing about the players as footballers. I think some folk think it shows some sort of colonialist mindset to not pronounce foreign names exactly as foreigners would. It's not. All countries do it. The Uruguyan defender, Coates, has Scottish ancenstry and that's where the name comes from, but they all call him 'Co-ah-tez'. It's not disrespectful or ignorant. It's perfectly understandable.

It's worth watching where McLean is when the move for the second goal starts. He's well inside his own half, running towards the 18 yard box and tracking back with a Norway player. From that point to the goal only takes 14 seconds.