Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not only did he get it horrendously wrong in terms of how the match played out, he’s also f*cked it in terms of the players he’s complaining about.

Where’s he getting two centre halves out of Cooper, Gilmour, Armstrong and McLean? Christie was brought off in the  triple sub too 😅

Making an arse of it and some

27 minutes ago, Binos said:

Have a look at the top flight sides today and see how many scots are in them

I don’t disagree that more players from outside the top flight are not Scotland eligible currently ,  but I certainly disagree that this squad of players would be much different had there been more money in the top flight for that period.  Look how many came through English systems or lower league spfl.

We maybe have slightly less players who were involved with rangers but any good players on their radar would have gone elsewhere quite comfortably 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Easy to get carried away with what it meant and the circumstances, but I genuinely think that second goal is the best I've seen Scotland score. Every bit of the move is perfect.

McTominay's pass is exquisite. A bit more weight on it and McGinn would be on the ball wider and not be in position to get to Dykes' feet, a bit shorter and it's not clearing Dykes and the centre back. It's perfectly measured.

It would have been so easy for McGinn to either lash that towards goal or alternatively take another touch to try to work an angle for a shot himself, but it's a great ball to Dykes.

You wouldn't remotely blame Dykes in that position for taking a touch and trying to spin on it and shoot, but he's got the composure to see McLean's run and measures the layoff perfectly.

It's a tremendous run McLean has made and then the finish is absolutely glorious. On his weaker foot!

Agreed, it's just about as good a goal from a break as you're likely to see. Even Dykes' reaction to McTominay's cross, realises it's going too far for him and instead presses up against Strandberg who had just started preparing to head it clear, and all but pins him to the floor by getting touch-tight with him to let the ball run for McGinn. Every ball and movement from Scotland left Norway obstructed and unable to stop what was coming next, and McLean's finish just stabs the knife in with perfect precision around the shape the play had forced Norway into.

It's hard for me not to look at it and think of chess, a ruthless checkmate Magnus Carlsen would be proud of. And yet, I hope Magnus Carlsen is raging at the sight of it.

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually think the first Scotland goal involved the better move of the two.  

We get up the field for it via three or four incisive passes through the middle in a way that the most of the passing we'd done before, simply wasn't.

Obviously, the opening was reliant on the defender getting in a mess, but it was great athleticism from Dykes and a clever finish.  At first I'd thought it was a bit sclaffy,but he did very deliberately flick it past the goalkeeper.

It was a nice lay off and excellent finish for the winner too, but I thought the move was a bit more  speculative beforehand.  I'm not at all convinced that McGinn was aiming for Dykes when he found him.

You'd find a fiver and be grumpy that it wasn't a tenner 😎.

Look at McGinn's body shape. He's obviously not shooting and is playing it back in. It's a splendid goal.

McTominay's cross for the second was, simply, amazing. I think he was probably going for Dykes and overhit it, but he's still done extremely well to get into that area where someone will get it. Then the other three just decided to produce some Barcelona 2010 sh*t for the goal.

On that note- why is McTominay suddenly so good? who's possessed him?

Zidane? Pele? John McGinn?

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

The boy in the white top is fuming for both goals.

I thought that initially as well and sadly kept watching it back. I actually think he's with them and it's a "I can't believe this!" kind of shove. 

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually think the first Scotland goal involved the better move of the two.  

We get up the field for it via three or four incisive passes through the middle in a way that the most of the passing we'd done before, simply wasn't.

Obviously, the opening was reliant on the defender getting in a mess, but it was great athleticism from Dykes and a clever finish.  At first I'd thought it was a bit sclaffy,but he did very deliberately flick it past the goalkeeper.

It was a nice lay off and excellent finish for the winner too, but I thought the move was a bit more  speculative beforehand.  I'm not at all convinced that McGinn was aiming for Dykes when he found him.

Yeah, I've not seen the move back for that goal but I thought at the time that there were a couple of really clever passes to get us forward. 

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There's a lot of talk (rightly) that this team works harder than any we've had. 

What's not perhaps evident enough is simply how good we now are. We're a fucking decent outfit and its time to acknowledge it.

We are, but last night showed that we do still need to improve on our away performances. I'd love to see performances like Serbia become at least a semi-regular occurrence.

18 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

McTominay's cross for the second was, simply, amazing. I think he was probably going for Dykes and overhit it, but he's still done extremely well to get into that area where someone will get it. Then the other three just decided to produce some Barcelona 2010 sh*t for the goal.

On that note- why is McTominay suddenly so good? who's possessed him?

Zidane? Pele? John McGinn?

Sir Stephen Clarke.

He's a superb man manager who makes his players feel seen and appreciated. Hearing McTam talking after the Spain game and seeing him glow when talking about the manager where he says that Clarke said something really simple to him that struck a chord and since then he's been absolutely flying for us.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t disagree that more players from outside the top flight are not Scotland eligible currently ,  but I certainly disagree that this squad of players would be much different had there been more money in the top flight for that period.  Look how many came through English systems or lower league spfl.

We maybe have slightly less players who were involved with rangers but any good players on their radar would have gone elsewhere quite comfortably 

It was the other clubs who had less cash for a sustained period due to the rangers situation 

7 minutes ago, Binos said:

It was the other clubs who had less cash for a sustained period due to the rangers situation 

And what players from the current national team got games who otherwise wouldn't have?

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

And what players from the current national team got games who otherwise wouldn't have?

f**k me

There are a number of players who came through during that period for clubs who under circumstances prior to and after then (ie now) when flush are playing f**k all scots

Like 2 in a starting line up

15 minutes ago, Binos said:

Is there any evidence of clubs having less money during this period? 

Lost money from 1/2 visiting Rangers supports would have been offset by prize money given that every team would have been one place higher than if a strong RFC side had been present in the top flight.

More sides reached cup finals also which they may not have done in other circumstances.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Culturally I've found people in Norway to be non confrontational which is good in society, but maybe less so in sport.

... sounds like they've calmed down a bit since they rowed their viking long boats ower tae oor bit a few years back, eh?

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

f**k me

There are a number of players who came through during that period for clubs who under circumstances prior to and after then (ie now) when flush are playing f**k all scots

I hear you on that, but given you started this by saying that the reason we have good players now is because of (or partly because of) Rangers' demise taking money out of Scottish football I was wondering what players who wouldn't have otherwise gotten into the squad. 

I couldn't see a single player in that team who I thought would have been kept out by a foreign player. 

I think the depletion in numbers might be more down to Brexit denuding Scottish teams of their young players through EPL teams' inability to get young foreign players cheaply. 

The timing of both was the same, but I don't think clubs signing fewer foreign players makes sense with less money, they're not especially more expensive. I reckon it was more the Brexit effect. I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I don't think there's as much supporting evidence for your theory.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy imo.

And I'll fucking deck you if you swear at me again 😉

45 minutes ago, Binos said:

Did they though, and to what extent?

Celtic badly missed their sister club and probably had reduced income.  I doubt if the others lost much at all though.  Their gates didn't suffer and the TV deal was only slightly reduced.

47 minutes ago, Binos said:

f**k me

What 2?  And beyond them who else?