Group D - The Famous Greenock Morton, R. County, Edinburgh, Kelty Hearts, Stranraer

Decent draw for us. Should be aiming for at  least  9 points and hopefully we can go up to County and cause them a few problems.

In previous years,  we have went into the League Cup in a bit of a state. This year we will go into the first game with most of the same starting 11 as last season, missing only a keeper and presumably a RB, should Grimshaw move on. 

I expect us to do well and with some difficult looking groups elsewhere, we should be looking to progress.

i'd like Kelty away as not been there. Think we play 3rd and 5th seeds at home so good chance we go to Kelty.

Edited by madton

Looking forward to dropping into the Mallard and wishing my warmest congratulations and thanks to the Ross County fans for their team’s sterling efforts on Sunday.

Great bunch o’ lads!

Edited by Toby

3 hours ago, madton said:

Decent draw for us. Should be aiming for at  least  9 points and hopefully we can go up to County and cause them a few problems.

In previous years,  we have went into the League Cup in a bit of a state. This year we will go into the first game with most of the same starting 11 as last season, missing only a keeper and presumably a RB, should Grimshaw move on. 

I expect us to do well and with some difficult looking groups elsewhere, we should be looking to progress.

i'd like Kelty away as not been there. Think we play 3rd and 5th seeds at home so good chance we go to Kelty.

Yeah, going by previous years it should be Ross County and Kelty away with Edinburgh and Stranraer at home.

Our last win in Dingwall was a Scottish Cup tie in 2003 when we were 2 leagues below County. Since then we've had numerous defeats and a couple of draws.

Three of our four wins up there have been cup ties. I have faith in Sir Dougie to get us a result here.

Stranraer is a fantastic away day! Cheap flight to Belfast, hotel even for 1 night, then boat accross. Nicely oiled for the match if that is your thing. Possibilities.

A trip to Edinburgh too. What's not to like!?

GROUP D

Saturday July 15
Kelty Hearts v Greenock Morton (3.00pm)
Stranraer v Ross County (3.00pm)

Tuesday July 18
Greenock Morton v Stranraer (7.45pm)

Wednesday July 19
FC Edinburgh v Kelty Hearts (7.45pm)

Saturday July 22
Ross County v Greenock Morton (3.00pm)
Stranraer v FC Edinburgh (3.00pm)

Tuesday July 25
Kelty Hearts v Stranraer (7.45pm)

Wednesday July 26
FC Edinburgh v Ross County (7.45pm)

Saturday July 29
Greenock Morton v FC Edinburgh (3.00pm)
Ross County v Kelty Hearts (3.00pm)

Brilliant, thanks FlyerTon for the fixtures saves me looking. Would have much preferred Morton away as a great day out. Who knows, maybe in a later round or the Scottish cup when that eventually starts.

On 09/06/2023 at 16:59, Matty-RCFC said:

Probably the best draw we’ve had in this cup yet. A 3pm Saturday jaunt to Stranraer, 2 home games you’d hope we can win with relative comfort and a trip to Edinburgh’s version of the Aquadome. Class!

I don't for one minute think the Morton game in Dingwall will be won in any comfort. Imrie has been a revelation as Morton manager, and with a relatively settled squad going into the new season they'll be looking to cause an upset.

3 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I don't for one minute think the Morton game in Dingwall will be won in any comfort. Imrie has been a revelation as Morton manager, and with a relatively settled squad going into the new season they'll be looking to cause an upset.

I don’t mean comfort in a literal “turn up and expect 3 points” sense. However, if both teams play to their optimum we should beat Morton. That’s absolutely no disrespect to them and they should be quite right in thinking they can come up A9 and cause an upset given their season last year, but on paper the group is ours to lose and that includes playing the 2nd best team at home. 

Will we have a managerial change or any new players in place before the Stranraer game?  It looks likely that the club is treating these as glorified warmup matches.   I’m not a betting man, but I would imagine a 0-0 draw would be worth a flutter.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can see us challenging Ross County for this group. We've had a longer break than they have and we have quite a settled squad for once, with signings beginning to come through the door. Country seem to still have a half-decent side but it's hardly spectacular as things stand.

I think we'll both manage to take care of the other three sides, Kelty may be an interesting one for us because of the contingent of ex-Morton players there now (Telfer, Lyon, etc.). Doubt it'll be a classic group looking back on it, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2023 at 10:50, highlandmac said:

Poor that one team gets 2 Saturday home games,  1 team gets none

Correct! 👍

They should change this thing to groups of either 4 or 6, so everyteam plays each matchday.

It's ridiculous to have teams sitting without any fixture on a Saturday afternoon!

34 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Correct! 👍

They should change this thing to groups of either 4 or 6, so everyteam plays each matchday.

It's ridiculous to have teams sitting without any fixture on a Saturday afternoon!

My perfect* version of the format - to solve exactly this problem - would be to have 5 groups of 4 with the L1 and L2 teams (with the Highland/Lowland winners playing some sort of preliminary round against the bottom L2 teams), and Championship and Premiership playing. The top 2 teams from the groups in a Round of 32, then the rest is straight knockout to the final.

That would guarantee no "Empty Saturday's" and also means that the Groups are a bit less friendly-like.

Allows the Championship and Premiership teams to get bigger knockout games, with the League One and League Two teams who progress to and all round would be a better system for everyone.

But that's unlikely to ever happen, despite most of the problems being eradicated.