Group D - The Famous Greenock Morton, R. County, Edinburgh, Kelty Hearts, Stranraer

We were great in the opening 45 minutes and really should have been 2 or 3 up given the chances we missed. Gillespie’s injury just exposed how thin our squad is as with Blues covering at RB we just lost all control in the midfield. Thought Waters was our MOTM, an excellent performance from him. 

Should have had that game buried at half-time, and can't blame anyone else for losing it. Second half was flat as f**k and being played like a friendly at 1-0, conceded from a set-piece out of nowhere then lost the game through a flick on from a goal kick. For all it was a makeshift defence, those are the sort of basic goals you just shouldn't concede even against a team from a higher division.

It's been a good effort at the group stage overall and we're still hanging in for a best second place finish with a team with Sam Ramsbottom in goal to come if we need to run up the goal difference, but that was a real missed opportunity there.

Stumbled to the three points there today, but ultimately I don’t think performances matter at this stage - would far rather just get through. We look in a decent position now to get through as one of the seeded teams, so hopefully a favourable draw in next round too. 

ETA: absolutely no disrespect to EC and Kelty with my comments above. Cliché I know, we ‘should’ be beating them on paper and I’d be disappointed if we couldn’t get the job done from here.

Edited by Matty-RCFC

Don't think that RC were convincing for the win but as stated above it doesn't really matter. They'll get through the group and produced two excellent, clinical finishes for the goals. As for us, we got what we deserved - the winning goal is criminal defending that deserves to lose any professional football game. 

For the first hour of the game we were excellent, with Blues doing a terrific job as a completely makeshift right back. While I expected us to struggle to maintain our energy in the latter stages, the crucial turning point for me was Gillespie going off injured. Replacing him with McGrattan - who was garbage incidentally - left us without a serious central midfield. Taking Oakley off instead of Muirhead was also costly. 

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

Asking mainly for RC supporters who were at the end of the pitch in question, was the equaliser offside - as the linesman indicated at first - or not?

Didn't think the equaliser was offside as Murray was not involved in play  but to me it appeared that Simon Murray was offside for the winner, I looked at the linesman when Murray broke away but he was  yards behind play so couldn't see.  I wasn't impressed by the officials today.

Officials were shocking, quite a few small decisions that had knock-on effects, plus the first of two freekicks we had near the end, total pisstake from the ref. Rather than doing 10 steps (which as R. Muirhead demonstrated, would have him in line with the Linesman) he did 8/9 and cut a couple of yards in the distance. Really poor.

Couldn't really tell if the Murray goal was offside or not from where i was. If it was offside then I suppose it excuses - to a degree, not entirely - the poor defending before it but it was still abysmal at that moment. I would argue undeserved win for county, with us having been in charge for most of the first half, and the first 20 or so of the second being quite balanced. The goal absolutely changed it, though, regardless.

Well done on winning the group, I suppose. (Unless our old friend Michael Tidser, and that pr*ck O'Ware, stop you)

Can't complain with coming 2nd behind the Prem' team, either way.

13 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Stumbled to the three points there today, but ultimately I don’t think performances matter at this stage - would far rather just get through. We look in a decent position now to get through as one of the seeded teams, so hopefully a favourable draw in next round too. 

Aye, it's always a weird time with competitive games that are sort of in a no man's land place between friendlies and competitive games. Players may not all be at full match fitness yet, new players clearly haven't gotten embedded in yet, all that. So ultimately results and just getting through to the knock out rounds is more important than the performances. Win is a win.

And honestly, if this was last season and we went a goal behind I'm not sure I'd have expected us to come back and win, even against a Championship team, so that's something.