League Cup Group E - Dundee, ICT, Airdrie, Dumbarton and Bonnyrigg

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

To no-one's surprise we concede a late penalty - Dochety wants shot for that team today

Hopefully a wake up before the main event. We need more players. The result isn't important but it's helped show we are light.

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I wish we would take this cup a bit more seriously tbh.

It's our first loss in the group stage - first result that wasn't a win too - since Hibs in 2020. I'd wager we usually do, but that team today has me wondering.

Imagine bringing Pineda on and 5 mins later he's given the perfect chance to start his stint in Scotland on the front foot, and instead handing the penalty to our worst penalty taker 😵‍💫

Better to get a warning shot now than in the league, but I have a feeling that's us practically out of this cup already.

2 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

I have no idea or interest really, hadn't thought about it as we've not played in a while.

Screenshot_20230722_180408_Chrome.thumb.jpg.655ec27dcae02120dc6ee01eda34ef83.jpgScreenshot_20230722_180303_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e3b88ace5e3ee2ec8b6ae6605bdd1180.jpg

2 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Surprising given how much detail they go into.

Screenshot_20230722_183422_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1780503cc69b2a18d368ddb0fce2571c.jpg

Airdrieonians. Surprisingly the image immediately above referred to Airdrie United but uses the new Airdrieonians crest given the old one fell foul of the Lord Lyon.

Screenshot_20230722-190350.thumb.png.11d857f13d687f82d5ebb34a4802c5e3.png

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I wish we would take this cup a bit more seriously tbh.

Why? It's an utterly meaningless diddy cup. The only potentially worthwhile endeavour is the gate receipts from getting pumped by an arse-cheek in the Semi or Final.

It's absolutely right that the majority of managers treat it as nothing but a pre-season warm-up, because that's all it deserves.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Why? It's an utterly meaningless diddy cup. The only potentially worthwhile endeavour is the gate receipts from getting pumped by an arse-cheek in the Semi or Final.

It's absolutely right that the majority of managers treat it as nothing but a pre-season warm-up, because that's all it deserves.

I’d say it’s more important for teams like us or league 1 teams to try maximise the cash. However, for premier league teams it is basically just pre season. Still doesn’t take away the fact we beat yoi

Just now, Aufc said:

I’d say it’s more important for teams like us or league 1 teams to try maximise the cash. However, for premier league teams it is basically just pre season. Still doesn’t take away the fact we beat yoi

Of course it is. Everything is relative. If you have a tiny budget then any sort of reasonable sized one-off gate receipt is going to be of much more significance than it would be to a bigger club with a bigger budget, but the League Cup lost what little prestige it had as soon as it lost the Continental qualifying place, and even the prize money is pitiful, so personally speaking, I couldn't care less about how seriously or otherwise any Dundee manager views it, and if they want to treat it as a fitness and squad rotation exercise ahead of the league season then that's perfectly ok by me.

36 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Not at all, it's one of the 3 major trophies in Scotland and one of the few things us diddy clubs have a slight chance of winning (maybe not so much us, mind you).

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Of course it is. Everything is relative. If you have a tiny budget then any sort of reasonable sized one-off gate receipt is going to be of much more significance than it would be to a bigger club with a bigger budget, but the League Cup lost what little prestige it had as soon as it lost the Continental qualifying place, and even the prize money is pitiful, so personally speaking, I couldn't care less about how seriously or otherwise any Dundee manager views it, and if they want to treat it as a fitness and squad rotation exercise ahead of the league season then that's perfectly ok by me.

Yes it is all relative. And in the SPL, I'd guess you'll have one of the smallest budgets so you'd think a decent cup run and draw would help with that, and your survival chances as a result. 

25 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yes it is all relative. And in the SPL, I'd guess you'll have one of the smallest budgets so you'd think a decent cup run and draw would help with that, and your survival chances as a result. 

We're running at a near £1 million loss year on year. One or two decent gates aren't going to bring that back into the black, so the owners will be servicing the debt regardless. If they've decided a set budget for the season and anything earned over and above expectation genuinely goes back into the playing budget pot, then fair enough, but that would be an odd way to run a club that is perpetually operating at a loss anyway.

I can see it being an issue from a player's point of view, in that they should be wanting to win every single game and every single competition they can, but as a fan if you offered me a League Cup win every single season for the next ten years or a solid mid-table finish this season coming, I'd take the latter. A League Cup win wouldn't be any more significant to me than a Tennents Sixes or B&Q Cup win, nice to have, but nobody really gives a shit. 

12 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

We're running at a near £1 million loss year on year. One or two decent gates aren't going to bring that back into the black, so the owners will be servicing the debt regardless. If they've decided a set budget for the season and anything earned over and above expectation genuinely goes back into the playing budget pot, then fair enough, but that would be an odd way to run a club that is perpetually operating at a loss anyway.

I can see it being an issue from a player's point of view, in that they should be wanting to win every single game and every single competition they can, but as a fan if you offered me a League Cup win every single season for the next ten years or a solid mid-table finish this season coming, I'd take the latter. A League Cup win wouldn't be any more significant to me than a Tennents Sixes or B&Q Cup win, nice to have, but nobody really gives a shit. 

So you're saying that if Dundee won the League Cup, none of the fans would really give a shit? 

Yeah, sure. 

And as for saying you'd rather a mid table league finish instead, well these things aren't connected and failing at one doesn't guarantee the other, so I can't buy into that type of thinking at all. 

I'd expect my team to compete in every competition they take part in. Try to breed a winning mentality. 

Not a chance Dundee fans would be saying it doesn't matter if you'd actually have won the game. Not a chance. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

10 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So you're saying that if Dundee won the League Cup, none of the fans would really give a shit? 

Yeah, sure. 

And as for saying you'd rather a mid table league finish instead, well these things aren't connected and failing at one doesn't guarantee the other, so I can't buy into that type of thinking at all. 

I'd expect my team to compete in every competition they take part in. Try to breed a winning mentality. 

Not a chance Dundee fans would be saying it doesn't matter if you'd actually have won the game. Not a chance. 

Spot on GD. The old "it means nothing/nobody gives a shit" is invariably trotted out by fans of the bigger clubs when they lose these kind of games. What a pathetic cop out, to the Dundee poster above how about saying "nobody gives a shit" to your fellow 400 odd fans who took the time, effort and money to come down from Tayside to Lanarkshire!

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Spot on GD. The old "it means nothing/nobody gives a shit" is invariably trotted out by fans of the bigger clubs when they lose these kind of games. 

It really isn't a loss only opinion. The quicker we are out this 'cup' the better.

Quite a bit of pish posted on this thread, regrettably from Dees.  This is one of the two trophies that we can actually win.  To bin it off in a strop after a slightly unfortunate defeat to Airdrie doesn't make much sense to me; we've still got two home games against lower league teams and whilst I was also surprised by Saturday's team sheet, I'm still reasonably/hopefully confident we can still get through to the next stage.