US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

We will see a lot of "birth certificate" on social media shortly about Harris 

Already seen various right-wing grifters post that she's ineligible to run for President because her parents aren't natural-born US citizens.

15 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Good news, but we know he will still drag it through the courts if he can. Soreliest loser ever.

14 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Exactly. The Speaker was talking about challenging things in courts etc but since he's not been officially nominated yet (Biden was only officially the presumptive nominee) then ordinarily they'd have no case to answer. However, with the lunatics that are in the Supreme Court these days... 

By no means I'm claiming to be an expert on this topic. But I am quite a geek on stuff like this and I listened to a podcast in which they discussed what's going on and the legalities of it. They said that Biden had delegates from the primaries pledged to vote for him at the Convention, they officially decide the nominee at that vote. As Biden has withdrawn, these delegates have become uncommitted and can vote for whoever they like. Had he refused to step down, it would have been a legal minefield for these delegates to bypass him and vote for someone else. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be tricky. Now it seems pretty straightforward from a legal perspective.

But indeed, with Trump and the current Supreme Court you never know.

31 minutes ago, Marten said:

By no means I'm claiming to be an expert on this topic. But I am quite a geek on stuff like this and I listened to a podcast in which they discussed what's going on and the legalities of it. They said that Biden had delegates from the primaries pledged to vote for him at the Convention, they officially decide the nominee at that vote. As Biden has withdrawn, these delegates have become uncommitted and can vote for whoever they like. Had he refused to step down, it would have been a legal minefield for these delegates to bypass him and vote for someone else. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be tricky. Now it seems pretty straightforward from a legal perspective.

But indeed, with Trump and the current Supreme Court you never know.

Good, we don't want any "experts" muddying the waters with their "facts" and "expertise".

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Good, we don't want any "experts" muddying the waters with their "facts" and "expertise".

Speaking of "experts" 🙂 I've just checked that font of all knowledge... Bet365. They have Trump 1/2, Harris 2/1.

It'll be interesting to see if the odds change in the coming days.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

If Trump loses this now, will he have a legitimate claim to fight the decision in courts for months due to Biden withdrawing this late?

No.  

The Democratic Party nomination system has, for this precise reason, never been legally binding.  Unlike the Republican caucuses, the Democratic primaries result in non-binding votes.  Admittedly, as was shown in 68, when people don’t hold to their allocated pledge, chaos ensues.  But in theory if nobody holds to their allocated vite, it should be plain sailing.  

Now, given how political the legal system is in the US, I would be surprised if somebody didn’t try that card.  

The tears and snotters will be hilarious, but Biden should have done this months ago.  

As his last official act Biden should have Trump killed whether or not he wins the Presidency.  Just make sure it’s an official act.

F*ck you SCOTUS.

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As his last official act Biden should have Trump killed whether or not he wins the Presidency.  Just make sure it’s an official act.

F*ck you SCOTUS.

And how do you reckon they should officially kill him ? Are we ok about wanting to kill people we don't like, maybe start a thread on it.

6 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

And how do you reckon they should officially kill him ? Are we ok about wanting to kill people we don't like, maybe start a thread on it.

You should check the Official Trump Thread. There are plenty of references to that time an angry, tooled-up mob were encouraged to storm a government building & hunt down its inhabitants, mate.

7 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

You should check the Official Trump Thread. There are plenty of references to that time an angry, tooled-up mob were encouraged to storm a government building & hunt down its inhabitants, mate.

In a sane nation that would bar Trump from ever running for office again.

20 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

Put him in a room with a Covided up Biden and a syringe of bleach. 

30 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

Have a clairvoyant come in and tell him he’ll die without ever having gotten to shag his daughter. He’ll probably give up and snuff it on the spot then. 

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol:

Whatever are you suggesting?  Biden came to power stating would put the people first…….

Can we at least agree UK politicians put the people first, rather than their own party / personal ambition…..

1 hour ago, Plumpy said:

I wish I could bring Margaret Thatcher back to life.

So I could kill her again.