US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

16 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The average Fox viewer is just going to rationalize that numbers are woke, and most likely communist, anyways. 

Numbers are a construct of the CCP. President Xi's 123% approval rating suddenly makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

image.png.ee42e93e8d6bf8d72e7da0d8571acb33.png

math.gif.82c367036e09a965836a6241d2cd59e4.gif

Favourability, not who they'd vote for.

40 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The average Fox viewer is just going to rationalize that numbers are woke, and most likely communist, anyways. 

Americans are weird when it comes to "communism". Had a guy on twitter say Harris is a typical Marxist/Communist and that he'd studied communism at college. When I pointed out that communism usually means no private business, no private schools, no private healthcare, no organised religions, no private media and free press, no foreign imports there were dozens if not scores of people replying saying that "this was already happening" and that "the government runs these businesses anyway" (because of taxes and regulations apparently). They are fucking mental.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

image.png.ee42e93e8d6bf8d72e7da0d8571acb33.png

math.gif.82c367036e09a965836a6241d2cd59e4.gif

That's in response to the question asked about each candidate; "Please tell me whether you have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion of..."

Which means there are people who have a favourable opinion of both of them.

One of the reasons Harris has closed the polling gap is that those who say they hate both candidates or parties are much more likely to choose her over Trump than said they'd choose Biden over Trump.

https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2024/07/Fox_July-22-24-2024_Michigan_Cross-Tabs_July-26-Release.pdf 

16 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

You sure? Filipkowski’s generally pretty meticulous. 

well it’s real when it comes to “favorability rating” I guess. Whatever the hell that means :) 

for what its worth, I think the only reason to not vote for a Democratic president has been removed (Biden age), I think she will wipe the floor with the old psychopath. 

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Nope, Elvis had fifty million.

GUEST_47caed5e-f3d1-4d56-a896-997d0fae8a19

It’s astounding how many Elvis songs could be applied to Trump.  As an example:

”To my daughter Ivanka, you are always on my mind”.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s astounding how many Elvis songs could be applied to Trump.  As an example:

”To my daughter Ivanka, you are always on my mind”.

In that case I would like to request Jailhouse Rock.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In that case I would like to request Jailhouse Rock.

Good choice.

You’re the devil in disguise also applicable.

On 28/07/2024 at 23:29, Granny Danger said:

For the first time in quite a while I’m not so pessimistic about what could happen in November.

There’s probably the odd unhinged, racist, misogynist on P&B hoping for a Trump win but I think most of us will be very relieved if that does not happen.

I'm anything but 'pro-Trump', but in his 1st term he wasn't all bad.

In some ways he was a 'peaceful president'.  Than say at the time... a Hillary Clinton with her Libyan antics which affected several countries round the region (such as Egypt) and still going on now!

Kamala Harris sure seems nice, just hope that neither of them have hunger for more war starting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/12/15/love-him-or-hate-him-president-trumps-defense-legacy-is-profound/

2 minutes ago, Sonam said:

In some ways he was a 'peaceful president'.  Than say at the time... a Hillary Clinton with her Libyan antics which affected several countries round the region (such as Egypt) and still going on now!

Kamala Harris sure seems nice, just hope that neither of them have hunger for more war starting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/12/15/love-him-or-hate-him-president-trumps-defense-legacy-is-profound/

Aye and Hitler made sure the trains ran on time.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye and Hitler made sure the trains ran on time.

I don't think it's that simple comparison. A lazy answer to be honest. 2 Completely different people, different personalities, desires, greed etc

How do you describe what's happening been happening in Gaza? Do you use your Hitler metaphor there?

Edited by Sonam

I think that's a good point. Netanyahu was invited to congress by the Republican party so they could applaud the man overseeing mass rape and genocide. To be expected. Yet what was Democrat Mark Kelly also doing there applauding? Added to his anti-union stance, which puts him well to the right of Bidenomics, I hope Harris does not select him.

Shapiro, as I commented before, I'm also strongly against. Which leaves Tim Walz of the reported shortlist.

Walz is far from perfect. George Floyd was murdered in Walz's state and this was his response to subsequent protests.

Screenshot_20240730_140500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c531017818892c9b2f00150b46d923ce.jpg

(https://jacobin.com/2020/06/donald-trump-police-brutality-minneapolis-george-floyd-protests)

His mind instinctively drew a parallel between working class Black Americans at home and then Afghans and Iraqis abroad. At least he understands the link between internal and external oppression, he just supports it.

Regardless, Walz is better than Shapiro and Kelly, particularly on economics. I could be wrong here but I think it was him who began the recent trend of pointing out Republican weirdness too. That's a bonus. I hope Harris announces him as her VP pick in a week's time (if it is indeed only between Walz, Shapiro or Kelly).

23 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Trump, other than being a fraud, plays a populist role in and out of the Presidency by telling his section of voters what they want to hear, he has said he can prevent WW111 if he is re-elected but then he recently told a conference he will build an 'Iron Dome' defence system over the USA, the man flip flops constantly.

I'd much rather the US spent a good chunk of their military budget on a pointless Iron Dome defensive system rather than giving it to various fucking nutjobs around the world.

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Trump, other than being a fraud, plays a populist role in and out of the Presidency by telling his section of voters what they want to hear, he has said he can prevent WW111 if he is re-elected but then he recently told a conference he will build an 'Iron Dome' defence system over the USA, the man flip flops constantly.

This.

What Trump says and what he does are 2 very different things.