US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

On 30/07/2024 at 13:54, Sonam said:

I'm anything but 'pro-Trump', but in his 1st term he wasn't all bad.

In some ways he was a 'peaceful president'.  Than say at the time... a Hillary Clinton with her Libyan antics which affected several countries round the region (such as Egypt) and still going on now!

Kamala Harris sure seems nice, just hope that neither of them have hunger for more war starting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/12/15/love-him-or-hate-him-president-trumps-defense-legacy-is-profound/

From a west European perspective, Obama was a disaster for us. You can draw a fairly straight line between his actions and massacres like the Manchester Arena bombing or the 2015 Paris attacks. Then a more indirect line can even be drawn between Obama's misadventures and Brexit or the neo-fascist tilt in Italian and Greek politics. I'm talking about consequences from interventions in Libya and Syria here.

Trump was an enormous improvement on that for us in Western Europe. Poroshenko supporters in Ukraine also remember Trump fondly because of the relationship he struck up with Poroshenko and how he began sending Ukraine arms where Obama had previously refused.

If you were Palestinian, Venezuelan, Cuban, Iranian or Yemeni, Trump brought you disaster where Obama hadn't.

Again from a solely west European perspective, Biden has been an improvement on Trump. So for us: Obama > Bush, Trump > Obama, Biden > Trump. Which suggests US foreign policy is to some extent independent of which party has their president in the White House and is more about eras or cycles.

Edited by Freedom Farter

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

I don't think it's that simple comparison. A lazy answer to be honest. 2 Completely different people, different personalities, desires, greed etc

How do you describe what's happening been happening in Gaza? Do you use your Hitler metaphor there?

Trump is the most dangerous man to have occupied the White House.  He will be far more dangerous if elected a second term.

That the "weird" thing is winding up Republican figures so much is funny. Taste of their own medicine and they can't handle it. First thing they did when Harris was announced was put out those laughing montages and trying to call her "Crazy Kamala". Trump is still trying it even though its completely fallen flat. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes and now they're the "weird" folk.

2 hours ago, Sonam said:

I'm anything but 'pro-Trump', but in his 1st term he wasn't all bad.

In some ways he was a 'peaceful president'.  Than say at the time... a Hillary Clinton with her Libyan antics which affected several countries round the region (such as Egypt) and still going on now!

Kamala Harris sure seems nice, just hope that neither of them have hunger for more war starting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/12/15/love-him-or-hate-him-president-trumps-defense-legacy-is-profound/

We all know Trump's ancestry but I see you mentioned Forbes Magazine, what's less well known in Scotland is that Bertie Forbes the founder of the magazine was a Buchan loon born in New Deer, once he made his money he would return every year and lay on a lavish picnic for the village, he died in NY but his remains were interred back in New Year.

His son Malcolm maintained the pilgrimage and it is acknowledged that if he had run for President he would have made President easily.

One his sons did run for President but failed, I remember seeing the massive family superyaucht berthed in New Orleans during his campaign.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Trump is the most dangerous man to have occupied the White House.  He will be far more dangerous if elected a second term.

He didn't do a fraction of the harm George Bush did. We all hate Trump here and hope he's routed in November but let's not forget how horrible the 2000s were. War and knock-on effects from war all around us. Memba suicide bombings in European cities? I memba. Memba having to hear on our news every day about places like Kandahar and Basra? I memba. 

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

He didn't do a fraction of the harm George Bush did. We all hate Trump here and hope he's routed in November but let's not forget how horrible the 2000s were. War and knock-on effects from war all around us. Memba suicide bombings in European cities? I memba. Memba having to hear on our news every day about places like Kandahar and Basra? I memba. 

It is stating the obvious to say the US is the most powerful country in the world.  Having a megalomaniac in charge in a Republican Party that has changed beyond all recognition who would strip the country of any semblance of democracy creates a danger far greater than past individual actions regardless of how egregious these actions were.

5 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Hillary Clinton would have almost certainly started a war with Iran if she got in. 

How so? She had stepped down as Secretary of State by the time the Iran Nuclear Deal was reached but she was involved in setting that up in Obama’s first term. 

5 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

That the "weird" thing is winding up Republican figures so much is funny. Taste of their own medicine and they can't handle it. First thing they did when Harris was announced was put out those laughing montages and trying to call her "Crazy Kamala". Trump is still trying it even though its completely fallen flat. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes and now they're the "weird" folk.

Well, enjoy it while it lasts leftist, Lil Marco’s gonna get yiz aw telt 

Obviously this will only come to matter if Harris wins. If Trump wins, Khan is gone immediately. However, there now seems to be a decent chance Harris could win so its worth looking at the mendacity of these billionaires. Harris' popularity comes from organic anti-Trump sentiment among US voters yet now these lice have come out the woodwork trying to harness the movement for their own ends.

"I do think that Lina Khan is a person who is not helping America". By "America" he means him and his billionaire buddies. They also constantly use weasel words like "sensible" and "pragmatic". The whole thing is just skin-crawling.

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

A f**king moron man. 

Just completely clueless when he’s not surrounded by a crowd of MAGA crackpots that would scream with joy if he shat himself on stage.