US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

36 minutes ago, strichener said:

I wouldn't say he is very open about it.  He goes to extraordinary lengths to deny it.

When he's talking to the press? I'm just a frugal guy who likes to mingle with the ordinary folks.

When he's talking to the Republican Party and their donors? Nice Supreme Court you've got here; be a real shame if I was to retire due to lack of backhanders now there's a Democrat in the White House.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hearing from a pollster on Newsnight that the key to the whole thing is Latino voters in the seven swing states, more of them are undecided apparently. So should Harris announce tonight that she'll invade Cuba or stop the sanctions? It's on these frail threads that American elections are decided by. 

Trump's surely f**ked in Arizona if that's true, considering he pardoned Sheriff Joe and was a big fan of his "dirty Hispanics are the enemy" policies.

Then again, it's astonishing how many first generation immigrants go native as soon as their papers come through. I'm one of the good ones; they'll see that and leave me alone if I play along  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

I'm sure he would, but does that mean the Democrats have too as well ?

Trump dragged American politics to this shit pit. This is where the fight will be until he is gone (hopefully jail) and the MAGA cultists snap out if their madness. 

Just now, bigmarv said:

Trump dragged American politics to this shit pit. This is where the fight will be until he is gone (hopefully jail) and the MAGA cultists snap out if their madness. 

We're still waiting for ordinary folk to snap out of Reagan's fever dreams of trickle-down economics and welfare queens, so I don't think any of us will live to see that happen.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

We're still waiting for ordinary folk to snap out of Reagan's fever dreams of trickle-down economics and welfare queens, so I don't think any of us will live to see that happen.

I’ve been in US since 1995, I have never understood the hard on some people have for the Reaganomics, it was and always will be utter horseshit. 

“The great communicator” ffs. 

The man would get laughed out of the first Republican primary debate these days. 

16 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

The one thing I remember from the Reagan Presidency (apart from the  very close assassination attempt) was the Air Traffic controllers strike. Reagan said if you strike I will fire you. The controllers went on strike and Reagan fired them all. A no bullshit kind of politician - I do wish some of our senior politicians showed the same type of direct action instead of taking the knee.

Reagan first told the Air Traffic Controllers "I will take whatever steps are necessary to provide our air traffic controllers with the most modern equipment available, and to adjust staff levels and workdays so they are commensurate with achieving the maximum degree of public safety," and "I pledge to you that my administration will work very closely with you to bring about a spirit of cooperation between the President and the air traffic controllers" during the campaign.

Between Feb and Aug 1981, PATCO and the FAA reached a deadlock and PATCO decided to strike because of Reagan's earlier support. When PATCO walked out, Reagan then issued an illegal 48-hour deadline that swept hundreds of Controllers on approved leave into the mass firing...and then fought to keep Controllers who had not returned even though it was not physically possible (on a cruise, on vacation with no contact, those lacking flights to return from an approved vacation, etc) to have returned within the 48-hours.

Reagan was the consummate bullshit artist. He's the genesis of the welfare queen myth, and his administration had more investigations, inditements and convictions than any other until Trump. Not to mention that Reagan, in addition to likely conspiring with Iran, also received Jimmy Carter's briefing preparation documents before the October 1980 debate. 

Kamala Harris is coming across well in her speech at the Democrat Congress but f**k me they seem to have as many OFTW folk in the crowd as a Trump rally. Also she keeps going on about pushing middle class dreams, what about helping the folk below comfortable? Trump will be raging though as she called him out for being a sex pest.

11 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Kamala Harris is coming across well in her speech at the Democrat Congress but f**k me they seem to have as many OFTW folk in the crowd as a Trump rally. Also she keeps going on about pushing middle class dreams, what about helping the folk below comfortable? Trump will be raging though as she called him out for being a sex pest.

Keeping up the sex pesty vibes, let me just remark that Maya Harris at 57 is a stone cold wid

Maya Harris says sister Kamala is 'fighting for each of us'

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

FYI "Middle Class" is the term Americans use for "Working Class".

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Ha! I noticed that when listening to these speeches. Shawn Fain (trade union leader) and AOC at least both said working class.

Edited by Freedom Farter

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Thatcher and Reagan believed the rich should be allowed to get incredibly rich and having lots of billionaires is something to boast about.

How rich the rich are is far less important than how not poor the poor are.  Having to live in a gated community and own lots of guns to protect yourself from everybody else is hardly the sign of a civilised country.

7 hours ago, bigmarv said:

Yes American politics was quite the honest, golden, hands across the aisle model of athenian democracy before Donny turned up.

All political parties are cult like in various ways, the Democrats are no different.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I used to think the US was all about your collar colour Blue Collar= working class, White Caller= middle class Dog caller = religious sexual deviant 

Female Republican voters are a strange breed.  Willing to ignore/forgive/endorse sexual assault against women, willing to be told what they can and can’t do with their bodies and willing to ignore/forgive/endorse violence against women.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Female Republican voters are a strange breed.  Willing to ignore/forgive/endorse sexual assault against women, willing to be told what they can and can’t do with their bodies and willing to ignore/forgive/endorse violence against women.

Yes, but it won't happen to them - they're the good ones, and the people they've chosen to associate with will see that and treat them accordingly. When they're treated just as poorly as every member of their group, they'll scream that it's the fault of the strawman BAD people who do all the things their "friends" don't like.

It's the same with every demographic. Christ, something like 10% of German Jews initially supported Hitler. People are f**king mental.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Yes American politics was quite the honest, golden, hands across the aisle model of athenian democracy before Donny turned up.

All political parties are cult like in various ways, the Democrats are no different.

We have never seen the cult like madness that these crackpots have for Trump. 

An obese 78yo, thats our guy? Ffs  

The GOP would have wiped the floor with Haley as the nominee, but nope, lets go with the fanny that lost to a decrepit 77yo last time. Coz that wasn’t a proper election, that one was stolen from our great leader while he was in the White House. This time they will not be unable to steal it from us while they have all the federal power.