US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

33 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

I think I saw that amongst Republican voters, Trump has a 20 point lead over all other Republican candidates combined. Madness.

TBF, I wouldn't want to vote for any of his opponents either. The Democrats are almost as bad.

He's maybe coasting on his self-aggrandising desire to point out how shit they all are. Well, that and the racism. Pretty poor requirements for a leader, but he's certainly not keeping any inspiring figures or genius problem solvers out of office.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Latest polls all over the place, between +7 Trump and +5 Biden. When Harris replaces Biden, the D margin slims a bit, but anyone replacing Trump raises the D margins significantly. Haley polling worse than DeSantis, who’s trailing Trumps numbers significantly.

Biden will step aside for health reasons spring/summer 2024. Hopefully Whitmer or Newsom will step up. Harris is not at all popular. 

Trump will be a convicted felon, surely he will be out of the running. I’m not sure who in that clusterfukk of a party will be the nominee tbh. 

Should be a resounding win for the Dems but we’ve said that before. 

3 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Is there any chance Trump will get convicted before US election? I see some woman who worked for him has pled guilty and looks likely to testify against him. Also Cohen is now in court. Will he get convicted and does that automatically rule him out of standing?

Yes. Yes. No.

15 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Christ, is that Trump?

The absolute mindf**k for the Republican Party if Donald turned out to have been Donna Trump before transition would be a sight to behold. Just couldn’t imagine how that would go, revolution or revelation?

On 30/09/2023 at 09:13, Michael W said:

Why are there so many oldies in US politics? 

I remember at the last election your Democrat front runners were Biden (late 70s), Sanders (80s) and spring chicken Warren, who was 70. This to face a mid-70s Donald Trump for the presidency. 

Then in Congress you have Pelosi who is 83 and McConnell who is 81, and showing signs of age-related problems. Even with Feinstein's death there's another 90 year old in there. 

What do they have against retiring?

Simple, the money 'earned' is too good

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

His worldview is 1776-1825...buckle up! The good news is that his power is constrained by the short time frame and the need to keep the entire caucus behind him.

The crackpots will fall out with him about something and we’ll see a vote of no confidence. Sometime in the new year is my bet. 

The modern day Republican Party tho, dearie me. They must be super confident in their voter suppression efforts as they pander more and more to their every decreasing extremist base. 

4 hours ago, bigmarv said:

The crackpots will fall out with him about something and we’ll see a vote of no confidence. Sometime in the new year is my bet. 

The modern day Republican Party tho, dearie me. They must be super confident in their voter suppression efforts as they pander more and more to their every decreasing extremist base. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if the move/vote to oust him occurs due to the next Temporary Spending agreement…

It’s not clear if one Member can trigger a confidence vote anymore.

Edited by TxRover

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the move/vote to oust him occurs due to the next Temporary Spending agreement…

Its not clear if one Member can trigger a confidence vote anymore.

Not sure if they changed that rule. McCarthy certainly said they should. 

He sounds a bit too woke to be accepted by the MAGA mob :) …

Edited by bigmarv

On 28/10/2023 at 16:50, bigmarv said:

Not sure if they changed that rule. McCarthy certainly said they should. 

He sounds a bit too woke to be accepted by the MAGA mob :) …

The House rules still allow one Representative to call the question on declaring the Chair vacant.