Premiership - new strips 2023/24.

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Only in English. In Czech its Česká republika.

I've friends over there, and they say nobody really cares what name people use. Proper usage of town names are weird, because I travelled Europe so much I ended up calling a lot of towns by their local names. So Sevilla, Venezia or Firenze, yet rely on the Anglicised names of other places.

It's entirely off topic (nothing new for me) but Turkey has applied to the UN to be recognised by their Turkish spelling/pronunciation which is Türkiye.

Edited by Ric

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

According to the Cambridge dictionary you are both correct...

Spoiler

chequered.png

Correct is such a difficult term when it comes to linguistics, you can have all the rules you want but English is a movable feast, a language that rifles the jackets of other languages for bits and pieces. Even though the British English spelling is cheque, the de facto usage is check. Almost everyone uses check, presumably because cheque is too difficult a word to spell for some.

However, the people who are definitely incorrect here, are those saying that cheques/chequer/chequerboard are not correct. Three people have suggested that, 1 has admitted their mistake.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Correct is such a difficult term when it comes to linguistics, you can have all the rules you want but English is a movable feast, a language that rifles the jackets of other languages for bits and pieces. Even though the British English spelling is cheque, the de facto usage is check. Almost everyone uses check, presumably because cheque is too difficult a word to spell for some.

However, the people who are definitely incorrect here, are those saying that cheques/chequer/chequerboard are not correct. Three people have suggested that, 1 has admitted their mistake.

Never show weakness. 

Anyway, I quite like the St Mirren strip. 

Edited by kingjoey

I like that St Mirren kit and even better it has stripes on the back.

I know there is reference to a historical kit in there, was it the match winner one from early 90's? I've in image in mind of Gunni Torfasson in a st Mirren kit with checks, but maybe I'm mixing kits up. 

31 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I know there is reference to a historical kit in there, was it the match winner one from early 90's? I've in image in mind of Gunni Torfasson in a st Mirren kit with checks, but maybe I'm mixing kits up. 

The reference is the umbro diamonds on the Anglo-Scottish cup winning strip.

When Saints were kings: How St Mirren made history in the Anglo-Scottish Cup  40 years ago | The Scotsman

34 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

It’s a nod to this one…. Which I have an original team-worn jersey in my possession, and will not part with…

1ADB41CC-0BA5-4479-BD65-3EEF4B6B5641.jpeg

F8C456F2-6F9C-4FE8-84DF-FACD48BA325F.jpeg

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given that you can only see really small bits of the strip, and given that everyone knows it's going to be green and white hoops, what are the Celtic support so upset about?

Its the same support that think there is a country-wide conspiracy against their team despite winning 17 of the last 21 domestic trophies on offer.

Bit of a stretch trying to find logical reasons for them to be upset. 

7 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

It’d be more interesting to have Lyons and Daniels on the shirt. 

Aye, there's no moral high ground when it comes to sponsorship. If Oceangate and Wagner were looking to "put something back" there would be a queue of clubs lining up to welcome them as partners.

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, there's no moral high ground when it comes to sponsorship. If Oceangate and Wagner were looking to "put something back" there would be a queue of clubs lining up to welcome them as partners.

Would be quite happy if OceanGate were St Mirren’s shirt sponsor. No chance of us going down.