Rutherglen Glencairn 2023-24

Posted (edited)

There were only four yellow cards in the game, one for Glencairn and three for Neilston. All of them were for dissent, and all of them were in the first half. I think the players got the message that they needed to keep shtoom when he sent off the Neilston player and then booked the Glencairn player a few minutes later for mildly disputing an offside call.

Edited by glensmad

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

what about that ref 🤣 You couldn't look at him the wrong way without getting booked

Neilston number 7 is really thick as shit though, sarcastically congratulating the ref for a decision having already got a yellow after disputing a throw-in and not shutting up when the ref was talking to him. 

Edited by Ginaro

21 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Neilston number 7 is really thick as shit though, sarcastically congratulating the ref for a decision having already got a yellow after disputing a throw-in and not shutting up when the ref was talking to him. 

aye - cant argue with that

Excellent performance from us today, we passed the ball well, we controlled the game and we were mostly solid at the back. The only criticism is that the game should have been over as a contest by half time, but we got the points.

We're still hanging in there, if we keep putting points on the board then you never know what could happen. Six games left, we need to win at least four of them to be in with a shout.

Posted (edited)

Ten points out of twelve for us and that was a big win again. That's back-to-back away wins against promotion contenders, and we're still hanging in there.

I thought we played some good stuff again today, and I was pleased for Dylan Collins to grab a couple of goals as things haven't really been going for him in front of goal. Two big wins without our top scorer Ryan McManus as well.

Five games left, four of them at home. Our players and management deserve great credit for not giving up on the promotion issue when it could have been easy to do just that after the poor couple of months over the winter.

Edited by glensmad

• 2 weeks later...

We are delighted to announce that central defender Anthony Maguire has signed a 2-year contract extension and committed to the club until the summer of 2026.

Ants was promoted from our Under 21s to the first team squad last season and is now a regular cornerstone of our defence.

I was down south visiting family today so wasn't at Brig O' Lea, but the updates coming to my phone were most enjoyable. A 3-0 win away from home against any team, regardless of their league position, is a good solid result.

That's 13 points out of 15 for us now, and 10 out of 12 of those away from home.

Add to that the fact that all of the other promotion contenders dropped points today, and suddenly we find ourselves in 3rd place, with 4 games left to play, all of them at home.

We're going to need to win them all to still have a chance, but we have real momentum at the right time.

Posted (edited)

And still we battle on. Five wins on the bounce, six games undefeated, another clean sheet and we're now up to 2nd place.

All we can do is put points on the board and see where we end up. We're very aware that winning all of our three remaining games might still not be enough, but we're giving it our best shot.

We have no game next Saturday, so we can rest up and be hopefully quite fresh for the visit of Shotts Bon Accord, who have four scheduled matches to play (v Darvel, Petershill (or Pollok), Johnstone Burgh and Drumchapel United) between now and coming to Rutherglen, while we are resting.

Hopefully that will work in our favour, but only time will tell.

Edited by glensmad

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Hopefully that will work in our favour, but only time will tell.

I like reading your updates but you really need to stop saying that. I'm willing to bet that you actually verbalise the phrase constantly.

Glencairn have confirmed the team captain Dom McLaughlin, long-serving midfielder Sean McGuire and left-sided defender/midfielder Mathew Meechan have all signed new contracts to stay with the club for season 2024-25.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like the end of the promotion chase for us now, it'd take an extraordinary sequence of results to keep us in it.

Today was a toss of the coin between the teams, Shotts edged it on a penalty kick that came out of nowhere, it was two very evenly matched teams.

Had we won our last three matches, it might still not have been enough for promotion, so I'm not downbeat tonight. Instead I'm pleased we have taken the promotion issue to the month of May, with a new management team and eleven new players at the start of the season.

We're going in the right direction, and it looks like the uneven playing field of the crazy money spenders are not going to be in our league next season, so we'll see how we compete next time.

Meantime, two home games to finish the season. Johnstone Burgh and Maybole. We could yet have a big say in what happens at the top and bottom of the table. Our friends along the road might be supporting us on 18th May.......

Edited by glensmad

11 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Well it looks like the end of the promotion chase for us now, it'd take an extraordinary sequence of results to keep us in it.

Today was a toss of the coin between the teams, Shotts edged it on a penalty kick that came out of nowhere, it was two very evenly matched teams.

Had we won our last three matches, it might still not have been enough for promotion, so I'm not downbeat tonight. Instead I'm pleased we have taken the promotion issue to the month of May, with a new management team and eleven new players at the start of the season.

We're going in the right direction, and it looks like the uneven playing field of the crazy money spenders are not going to be in our league next season, so we'll see how we compete next time.

Meantime, two home games to finish the season. Johnstone Burgh and Maybole. We could yet have a big say in what happens at the top and bottom of the table. Our friends along the road might be supporting us on 18th May.......

Given that it was our 4 game in 8 days I thought we done well considering the games schedule that we have had this week. All the teams had something to play for one looks like the winners of the league one looks like being promoted and 2 still have a mathematical chance yet of promotion don’t think there is a harder schedule than that and of course 2 of the teams have been well rested and only managing to play maybe one a week if they are lucky. You don’t have to spend crazy money to have a shout of promotion either but have faith in your management teams ability and show a bit of loyalty and give them time to build a challenging squad which I’m sure Willie H the boss and his committee will. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Of that there is no doubt, Joe Pryce and Billy Ogilvie have done a great job shaping our squad this season. There's no doubt they will have the gig for next season and we will strengthen in the summer. And we play a style of football that is pleasing on the eye when it clicks into gear. A few tweaks here and there and we'll hopefully be in the mix again next season.

17 hours ago, glensmad said:

People who invest in their local team and community should be commended . They have plans submitted for the ground, facilities and exterior car park.  

lots of teams have in the past have spent big on there team and squad the most recent being Darvel who have also invested in their facilities.

Any investment to the game should be welcomed.