LOWLAND LEAGUE - Strongest it's ever been! What's You View?

54 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

They are all at that level because they got in when the juniors were arguing about the price of toilets etc. None of them have been relegated so I would suggest they are at the right level.

it should be added that none of the 3 clubs mentioned were in the first season of the LL, so there was ample opportunity for other teams to apply.

None of what you have said negates the fact that they're numpty teams who jumped on the pyramid wagon before many others were pushed on to it. They haven't been relegated due to the fact the LL is a self preserving bottleneck in an ever more self preserving pyramid, at least above tier 6.

22 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

None of what you have said negates the fact that they're numpty teams who jumped on the pyramid wagon before many others were pushed on to it. They haven't been relegated due to the fact the LL is a self preserving bottleneck in an ever more self preserving pyramid, at least above tier 6.

If you say so 👍🏻😀

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Neither are in the WoS Premier. Nor likely to be anytime soon on recent form. Drumchapel United nearly made it though.

Never really took much notice of St Cadoc's tbh but if they're flashing money about it should be fun.

Nothing better than watching the denizens of Banjo Country getting upset.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Given that the LL was crap from inception with a load of made up teams, promotion and relegation has made it more competitive but not sure that equates to stronger. It's like the WoSFL Division 4. It will be more competitive now with 16 teams but it's still the bottom tier.

Every team in that first season had either previously played in the East of Scotland League, South of Scotland League or Scottish Amateurs.

Only 4 clubs remain from the original 12.

11 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

Every team in that first season had either previously played in the East of Scotland League, South of Scotland League or Scottish Amateurs.

Only 4 clubs remain from the original 12.

Did ye deliberately miss oot two of the original 12 are in the SPFL now? 

Edited by newcastle broon

Only "made up" because you didn't know about them before they applied. 

If you knew anything about nonleague/amatuer/youth football, not just the Ayrshire Juniors, then you would know who and where these clubs all came from... Expect EK and BSC, they can go in the bin 😉

Edited by Spyro

Been an interesting journey,  part of the inaugural Lowland League,  Club started from Boys Club yes (  now have a flourishing Girls Section) through Amatuers and absolutely proud of the progress made, like lots of other Clubs. As the saying goes, it's not where you start , same applies to every single Club in any sport anywhere,anytime. 

The Lowland League has improved,  strengthened,  become more competitive just about every single year, expect more of the same for season ahead. Yes some big issues at both ends regarding promotion and relegation.  Would be nice to focus on the positives,  like the number of Clubs which have moved on and moved up from Tiers below. Pre Pyramid that was zilch apart from Clubs  folding, progress surely.

On 10/06/2023 at 19:02, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its really a generalization of most clubs coming down.  I'm not gonna go searching for the twitter on here or facebook etc for each fans comments on each of the clubs that have came down but there were a few who were confident they would do well but to be honest, its just natural from most fans who have never sampled a lower level than what they are used to, they would expect to come back quickly.   

P.s.  it's not a slagging or even trying to ridicule any fan whose team is coming down to Lowland.  I don't see anything wrong with any fan of the SPFL 2 who is relegated hoping or expecting their team to come back up as most don't really look at the Lowland League until they are there or heading that way. 

It’s a 2 horse race with EK and Tranent followed by Berwick , we won’t be near it 

36 minutes ago, Yodanumber1 said:

It’s a 2 horse race with EK and Tranent followed by Berwick , we won’t be near it 

I would guess Cowdenbeath just behind, then an absolute dogfight between Lithgow, Stirling Uni, CSS and maybe Albion if they don't have a traditional 1st season implosion 

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

Only "made up" because you didn't know about them before they applied. 

If you knew anything about nonleague/amatuer/youth football, not just the Ayrshire Juniors, then you would know who and where these clubs all came from... Expect EK and BSC, they can go in the bin 😉

Aye fair enough. I obviously didn't do my due diligence in regards to the named clubs. Apologies.

Still, stand by the point that it's not any stronger than it was.

26 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Aye fair enough. I obviously didn't do my due diligence in regards to the named clubs. Apologies.

I would say it's definitely a LOT stronger than it was. Half of the initial clubs who made it up where always a bit sh!t, but it doesn't take away from the fact that most of them have been and are perfectly functioning clubs at their own level for decades before they made the step up.

It's what I was brought up with (my grandad was well versed in the old East of Scotland League) and I hardly knew anything about the old junior teams until very recently tbh, so can understanding the misunderstanding.... if that makes sense 🤷‍♂️😂

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Come on Jim, more due diligence needed.

From the bottom of the Lowland League we have lost:

Threave (now WoS3)

Preston (now EoS1)

Hawick (now EoS3)

Selkirk (defunct)

Whitehill Welfare (now Eos1)

Vale of Leithen (EoS1)

In their place we now have:

Tranent

Boness

Cowdenbeath

Berwick R

Caledonian Braves

Civil Service Strollers

Are you seriously suggesting the former 6 are equal to their replacements.

If not, then logically (Mr Spock mode) the league must be stronger.

Edited by gwd440
Corrected Vale of Leithen

4 minutes ago, gwd440 said:

Come on Jim, more due diligence needed.

From the bottom of the Lowland League we have lost:

Threave (now WoS3)

Preston (now EoS1)

Hawick (now EoS3)

Selkirk (defunct)

Whitehill Welfare (now Eos1)

Vale of Leven (EoS1)

In their place we now have:

Tranent

Boness

Cowdenbeath

Berwick R

Caledonian Braves

Civil Service Strollers

Are you seriously suggesting the former 6 are equal to their replacements.

If not, then logically (Mr Spock mode) the league must be stronger.

Vale of Leven are a 3rd division West of Scotland side Vale of Leithen are in the East 1st division.

Strollers joined to make up the numbers to a 16 team league, maybes you need to do a bit due diligence as well :rolleyes: