Elgin City 23-24

Maybe but the board obviously persuaded him as he wasn’t keen in the first place. I have always said that a Manager at Elgin needs connections to attract players as it is difficult at the best of times but even more so now. Draper obviously does not have the connections in the markets we have to operate in. The board took the easy option as they did with getting rid of Price. The south market is very difficult now with Lowland League and West of Scotland sides paying big money for players which we and several of our rivals can’t compete with. The HL market remains financially difficult. I believe we were quoted 20 grand by Huntly for a player. 

15 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Maybe but the board obviously persuaded him as he wasn’t keen in the first place. I have always said that a Manager at Elgin needs connections to attract players as it is difficult at the best of times but even more so now. Draper obviously does not have the connections in the markets we have to operate in. The board took the easy option as they did with getting rid of Price. The south market is very difficult now with Lowland League and West of Scotland sides paying big money for players which we and several of our rivals can’t compete with. The HL market remains financially difficult. I believe we were quoted 20 grand by Huntly for a player. 

I am not sure he wasn't keen. I am almost sure he interviewed for the job and he was the man they wanted. His recruitment in the summer was a disgrace. Even the getting rid of Darryl in his 1st day in the job seems a crazy call. He is still doing the coaching at training as well. Totally bizarre situation.

Barry Smith has been up twice a week taking training. I explained about recruitment, unless you have connections, we don’t have the finances. It’s not fantasy football. I personally think the board were behind the Mchardy decision. They believed he was a poor influence. He was not good enough IMO. I agree if you are getting rid of someone you need a better replacement but if we were to improve he and several others should have been punted, again though, inability to recruit has prevented us refreshing the squad.

1 hour ago, 1993 said:

Barry Smith has been up twice a week taking training. I explained about recruitment, unless you have connections, we don’t have the finances. It’s not fantasy football. I personally think the board were behind the Mchardy decision. They believed he was a poor influence. He was not good enough IMO. I agree if you are getting rid of someone you need a better replacement but if we were to improve he and several others should have been punted, again though, inability to recruit has prevented us refreshing the squad.

McHardy was at least experienced in league 2 if nothing else, and goes for something. It now seems Elgin haven’t even replaced that and are paying a price for it. 

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I forgot Barry Smith was in charge. That explains a lot. 

My mate who was with me at the game and is a supporter of Highland League teams in cup ties observed "All Barry Smith has done this half is shout at the lino. He should be sorting his defence out"

1 hour ago, 1993 said:

Ross Draper believe me takes most of the training. I see it with my own eyes. Barry Smith you are right is also there but just seems to over see it.

I think Tatters was behind the decision but I have spoken to other board members and they were bemused by it.

I honestly thought Draper would have recruited some of his ex team mates in the summer. Still amazed he never did that.

49 minutes ago, Super Elgin City said:

Ross Draper believe me takes most of the training. I see it with my own eyes. Barry Smith you are right is also there but just seems to over see it.

I think Tatters was behind the decision but I have spoken to other board members and they were bemused by it.

I honestly thought Draper would have recruited some of his ex team mates in the summer. Still amazed he never did that.

Did he try? Vigurs his best mate was rumoured but would appear he would rather not play football than sign for Elgin if he was asked. Maybe the rest of his mates didna fancy it. 

54 minutes ago, Super Elgin City said:

He maybe over sees it but does Draper or Smith set the agenda?

11 hours ago, 1993 said:

Did he try? Vigurs his best mate was rumoured but would appear he would rather not play football than sign for Elgin if he was asked. Maybe the rest of his mates didna fancy it. 

He mabye never tried. I think all of us wrongly made that presumption that he would do that. Think it was a crazy risk to take in his 1st job to go with such an inexperienced squad. And it has back fired massively. It is a long time until January until anything at all can be changed. We could well be well adrift by then.

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

I read on twitter that pumping is the biggest non league win over league opposition in the Scottish Cup since 1896...

Given Queen's Park were the nonleague team in 1896 it might be the worst loss ever to a semi-professional nonleague club?

Jeanfield Swifts aren't exactly comparable to the financially doped Cove Rangers team that dismantled Berwick Rangers in the Club 42 playoffs a few seasons back so this wasn't the strongest opposition that tiers 5 and 6 have to offer.

Now there's more money being spent at those levels (and even at tier 7 with Johnstone Burgh) maybe Elgin are finding it more difficult to sign central belt players of the quality they need?

56 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Given Queen's Park were the nonleague team in 1896 it might be the worst loss ever to a semi-professional nonleague club?

Jeanfield Swifts aren't exactly comparable to the financially doped Cove Rangers team that dismantled Berwick Rangers in the Club 42 playoffs a few seasons back so this wasn't the strongest opposition that tiers 5 and 6 have to offer.

Now there's more money being spent at those levels (and even at tier 7 with Johnstone Burgh) maybe Elgin are finding it more difficult to sign central belt players of the quality they need?

Equal with the 6-0 pumping Ross County gave QOS in 1990-91.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Equal with the 6-0 pumping Ross County gave QOS in 1990-91.

It was 2-6 at Palmerston, oddly after a 2-2 draw in Dingwall. 

Some jobbers stuffed County 6-1 in the next round but I forget who....  :whistle

Edited by tamthebam

16 hours ago, SLClyde said:

McHardy was at least experienced in league 2 if nothing else, and goes for something. It now seems Elgin haven’t even replaced that and are paying a price for it. 

In fairness, I do think Connall Ewan has been great for us this season. Not saying it’s the reason we lost 6-0 but his absence yesterday won’t have helped