First Divison 23/24

4 hours ago, glensmad said:

Oh yes I remember it very well as well, known to the Glencairn following as "that night at Johnstone Burgh". 😍

Yep!! Big Dony, a Burgh legend sadly blundered at your goal 🤨

we had lost 5-2 at home to Shotts on the Monday and the players were knackered.

We had best you at yours 3-1 that season as well. Always liked games at Rutherglen and like the Glens as a club 👍🏼

It's crunch time for McKim and his league campaign. The Burgh are shockingly predictable, toothless and predictable despite the signings every other week. Goal keepers are on a revolving door, we don't have a functional midfield or a number 9 that can win one of the numerous crosses pumped into the box.  Third division Threave worked us out pretty quickly and gave a lesson on how to win a game never mind Kilbirnie and Drumchapel recently. Needs to gub Glencairn if serious about promotion.

2 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Yep!! Big Dony, a Burgh legend sadly blundered at your goal 🤨

we had lost 5-2 at home to Shotts on the Monday and the players were knackered.

We had best you at yours 3-1 that season as well. Always liked games at Rutherglen and like the Glens as a club 👍🏼

That was possibly the longest night I can remember watching football. We felt justice was done for us in the end, as we had been docked three points for a registration error, but our win secured us promotion at Burgh's expense with the points deduction denying us the league title.  David Hardie scored the goal for us, and Alan Monaghan was unbeatable between the sticks. Mark Dykes missed a penalty as well for us, manager John Conlin was banned from the dugout from memory as well.

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:

That was possibly the longest night I can remember watching football. We felt justice was done for us in the end, as we had been docked three points for a registration error, but our win secured us promotion at Burgh's expense with the points deduction denying us the league title.  David Hardie scored the goal for us, and Alan Monaghan was unbeatable between the sticks. Mark Dykes missed a penalty as well for us, manager John Conlin was banned from the dugout from memory as well.

Remember Alan Monaghan in goals. He had family in Johnstone and I remember his Clydebank v Dundee performance 😁

He was good craic 👍🏼

We drew 0-0 at Forth the previous midweek and those of us that were there knew it was that game that killed us. Was between SBA, Burgh, Glens and Cambuslang to go up and Rob Roy not far behind 

we went up the next year, but it was a great season, my first on the committee and the start of a good era for the club.

I think we put you guys out the Scottish at Southcroft the next season 

2 hours ago, Johnstone Castle said:

It's crunch time for McKim and his league campaign. The Burgh are shockingly predictable, toothless and predictable despite the signings every other week. Goal keepers are on a revolving door, we don't have a functional midfield or a number 9 that can win one of the numerous crosses pumped into the box.  Third division Threave worked us out pretty quickly and gave a lesson on how to win a game never mind Kilbirnie and Drumchapel recently. Needs to gub Glencairn if serious about promotion.

5 keepers signed this season

Spoke to a Johnstone based work mate today and he  informed me that  theres real disharmony in the camp already,  training not good   , setup not good and general feeling not good around the club and apparently a recently arrived  coach has left the club.  

Maybe a wee '  domino ' effect could kick in here .

8 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Remember Alan Monaghan in goals. He had family in Johnstone and I remember his Clydebank v Dundee performance 😁

He was good craic 👍🏼

We drew 0-0 at Forth the previous midweek and those of us that were there knew it was that game that killed us. Was between SBA, Burgh, Glens and Cambuslang to go up and Rob Roy not far behind 

we went up the next year, but it was a great season, my first on the committee and the start of a good era for the club.

I think we put you guys out the Scottish at Southcroft the next season 

Yes that's correct, you won 3-2 at Southcroft in the cup.

Going back to how the league panned out that season, from memory Burgh were miles behind with the fixtures, and we had played ten games from mid April till mid May, but then had to wait nearly three weeks from our penultimate game to play you guys in the last game, knowing it was likely "win or bust" for us.

I think a few of our players actually went away on holiday and were back in time to play Burgh, so we were well rested and focused whereas Burgh were clearly absolutely knackered as it was their last game of the season after a tortuous schedule.

I also remember the crowd at Keanie Park that night was huge, with the Glencairn fans all congregated on the wee mound to the side of the changing room building.

It was the night that I started using the phrase "I hate football", but I remember running onto the pitch at full time and suddenly it was The Beautiful Game again. 😉

39 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Yes that's correct, you won 3-2 at Southcroft in the cup.

Going back to how the league panned out that season, from memory Burgh were miles behind with the fixtures, and we had played ten games from mid April till mid May, but then had to wait nearly three weeks from our penultimate game to play you guys in the last game, knowing it was likely "win or bust" for us.

I think a few of our players actually went away on holiday and were back in time to play Burgh, so we were well rested and focused whereas Burgh were clearly absolutely knackered as it was their last game of the season after a tortuous schedule.

I also remember the crowd at Keanie Park that night was huge, with the Glencairn fans all congregated on the wee mound to the side of the changing room building.

It was the night that I started using the phrase "I hate football", but I remember running onto the pitch at full time and suddenly it was The Beautiful Game again. 😉

Crowd was 800 that night.

Our pitch, which drained badly at the best of times, got totally mangled against Maryhill in the last 32 of the Scottish.

Pat Keogh running the show for them.

That, cup replays, two legged league cup semis and getting to the semi of the west done us.

Happy times and great memories all the same 

Burgh & drum are certs to go up in my opinion. Burghs back log of games will cause trouble but with the size of the squad they'll be fine. Don't see Mckim losing his job anytime soon, taking them to a semi final of the Scottish cup & a favorable draw to get into the final. Cant see him being pumped as I would class that as a success especially if they do go on to get promoted. Its a real toss up for 3rd , Ashfield & Shotts have a load of games still to play wither that helps or hinders them who knows. Kilwinning seem to be very inconsistent & Petershill already with points on the board. if Kilbirnie keep up the good run they might just have an outside chance. Also can never write of Blantyre as its a very difficult place to go to get a result.

There has been a pretty big turnover of players at Johnstone Burgh which is never ideal for keeping a settled team. That and they no doubt have painted a target on their backs.

They should still get promotion and winning the league is more than achievable 

There seems to be a lot of people assuming JB will get it together and go up. They are fast running out of games and nothing in their form this season suggests they will start to churn out win after win. Add to that that we all know how difficult it is when the fixtures pile up(admittedly less so when you have a large squad of good players) - at what point do the Burgh fans fear that it might not happen this season?

Edited by Dean Learner

1 minute ago, Dean Learner said:

There seems to be a lot of people assuming JB will get it together and go up. They are fast running out of games and nothing in their form this season suggests they will start to churn out win after win. Add to that that we all know how difficult it is when the fixtures pile up(admittedly less so when you have a large squad of good players) but at what point do the Burgh fans fear that it might not happen this season?

Now. There is no fluency or signs that they may turn the corner. Every team gets a goal of start.

The squad is already stretched with 4 first team starters already out for most of the season.

What struck me today was the attitude of a few Burgh supporters who were standing behind me at the Glencairn dugout. They were highly critical of their team only ten minutes into the match because they weren't dominating the game the way they expected to. They were calling for substitutions even before Glencairn took the lead in the 16th minute. There seemed a distinct lack of patience from them.