Jump to content

First Divison 23/24


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Rutherglen Glencairn I think lost the plot a bit in the League last season by a fixture build up at the end. Looking for them to do better.

I'm not sure where this "fixture build up" was, we only had two midweek games in May and were never behind with the fixtures last season. But yes, I agree we under-performed in the league last season, eight draws sucked us down the table. One more goal in half of those games would have seen us finish a lot higher in the table, but results are results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I'm not sure where this "fixture build up" was, we only had two midweek games in May and were never behind with the fixtures last season. But yes, I agree we under-performed in the league last season, eight draws sucked us down the table. One more goal in half of those games would have seen us finish a lot higher in the table, but results are results.

Very congruent with the rest of his word salad.

You more hopeful this year, GM?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Very congruent with the rest of his word salad.

You more hopeful this year, GM?

It's hard to say at the moment jimbo, we've had a big turnaround in players since the cup final and of course a change of management as well. In total eleven players have left or retired, and the same number coming in, so it may take a bit of time to settle. Hopefully we'll hit the ground running, but I'm willing to give some time for settling in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MickGarvey
23 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I'm not sure where this "fixture build up" was, we only had two midweek games in May and were never behind with the fixtures last season. But yes, I agree we under-performed in the league last season, eight draws sucked us down the table. One more goal in half of those games would have seen us finish a lot higher in the table, but results are results.

It seemed that when you did have a rearranged midweek fixture at home that you were a victim of the weather or you suffered floodlight failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BurghLoyal said:

Shotts is an interesting one, took six points from us last season I suppose so we’ve seen them at their best, just don’t seem to do very well against other teams. Maybe they just don’t like us 🤨

And beat Beith twice in cups! But lost to Bonnyton. That's fitba!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

It's hard to say at the moment jimbo, we've had a big turnaround in players since the cup final and of course a change of management as well. In total eleven players have left or retired, and the same number coming in, so it may take a bit of time to settle. Hopefully we'll hit the ground running, but I'm willing to give some time for settling in.

Trying to be diplomatic and not unkind, but I think you will improve for your change in management.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Kilbirnie Ladeside

Kilwinning Rangers 

Petershill 

In no particular order.

Cambuslang Rangers in the top 5 see Petershill for details.

Just can't see past the two Ayrshire teams hanging about Division One.

Petershill because as pointed out they're a yo yo team with good facilities even if the support is almost gone just by the sheer demographics in the area. Does anybody under 40 support them? Could say the same about of course about Cambuslang Rangers.

Rutherglen Glencairn I think lost the plot a bit in the League last season by a fixture build up at the end. Looking for them to do better.

Johnstone Burgh, show us your money. Let's see what happens. Curious to see where the this big local support is coming from, pre Covid they were asking for matchday volunteers.

Don't see why folk think Neilston are for the drop before a ball is kicked.

No idea about the 3 coming up.

Bit of a cut throat league to be stepping into.

Ashfield playing out of Easterhouse doesn't seem right. Bit of a journey from Parkhouse to Easterhouse by public transport. Guessing the support is down now to family and friends. Virtually nothing left support wise at Saracen Park so doubt anybody will be leaving Possilpark to watch them playing halfway to Coatbridge.

Maybole again no idea.

Drumchapel Utd possibly reached their level in Division One.

Shotts Bon Accord, not convinced.

Whitletts Victoria, are they flitting or not?

Going by social media it looks like West Park United have took over completely St Roch's management and players. Either it will be a success for the WPU tribute act or relegation for St Roch's. Time will tell.

Burgh were averaging 250 last season, 180 the season before, with 800 v Arthurlie and Muirkirk when we won promotion. (I was on the gate both games) 

when last in the Central/West Premier 1999 to 2005 we were getting 350 most weeks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MickGarvey said:

It seemed that when you did have a rearranged midweek fixture at home that you were a victim of the weather or you suffered floodlight failure.

We had one match postponed due to floodlight failure. We did not have a backlog of fixtures this season, we only played four midweek matches all season - one in November, one in January, and two in May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MickGarvey
17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

We had one match postponed due to floodlight failure. We did not have a backlog of fixtures this season, we only played four midweek matches all season - one in November, one in January, and two in May.

Season shouldve and couldve been completed by the 6th May.

Extension to the league massively supports your argument.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Johnstonian said:

Burgh were averaging 250 last season, 180 the season before, with 800 v Arthurlie and Muirkirk when we won promotion. (I was on the gate both games) 

when last in the Central/West Premier 1999 to 2005 we were getting 350 most weeks.

 

Brilliant.

Funny thing is, I was at Keanie three Saturday afternoons last season and it was lucky if there was a 100 people there each time.

Maybe St Mirren were playing at home.

😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MickGarvey said:

Season shouldve and couldve been completed by the 6th May.

Extension to the league massively supports your argument.

What????

No football for 12 weeks? 

12 weeks of the summer weather?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, glensmad said:

We had one match postponed due to floodlight failure. We did not have a backlog of fixtures this season, we only played four midweek matches all season - one in November, one in January, and two in May.

Better to play in November and January in freezing conditions.

Who wants to play midway in August anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MickGarvey
11 minutes ago, Kennie said:

What????

No football for 12 weeks? 

12 weeks of the summer weather?

6 weeks in reality for players and staff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Brilliant.

Funny thing is, I was at Keanie three Saturday afternoons last season and it was lucky if there was a 100 people there each time.

Maybe St Mirren were playing at home.

😀

I’d suggest you improve your counting skills and interesting to see what games they were as every crowd last season had well over that in terms of paying customers and reflected in the take at the gate.

There were 4 games at KP last season that had over 350 paying spectators.

Edited by Johnstonian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Shannon said:

My predictions.

1. Johnstone Burgh - made some huge signings that are surely too good for this level.  The tough part will be getting them to gel quickly but should have too much over the course of the season.

2. Drumchapel - done well last season and I don't think have lost many players and added James Marks who knows how to score in this league so should be in the top 3 after narrowly missing out last season.

3. Petershill - really hard to choose but Petershill to be the Norwich of WOSFL and yo-yo back up to the Premier.

Kilbirnie Ladeside & Kilwinning Rangers are the two best supported sides and bigger names but seems to be in transition so it may take them until the following season to come back up but could finish above Peasy / Drumchapel if can go on a good run. Renfrew, Glencairn and Shotts to be the outside bets.

 

Bottom 3. Likely candidates Cambuslang, Whitletts, Maybole, Ashfield & Neilston but not really seen their new signings to make a judgement just purely based on their positions last season & players I know they have lost so could be very wrong.

 If had to choose:

14. Neilston

15. Maybole

16. Cambuslang Rangers 

 

 

Kilbirnie  support dwindling season after season, not sure about the Buffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MickGarvey
46 minutes ago, glensmad said:

There is no such rule.

Conveniently so. The season shouldve and couldve been finished by 6th May. If you wish to be super pedantic about it, 13th May like the Premier League was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...