First Divison 23/24

On 17/08/2023 at 21:09, jimbaxters said:

Are they moving back to the old place?

On 17/08/2023 at 21:16, Johnstonian said:

The greyhound track is long gone my friend!

i think it’s another cage job sadly 

Yep, Voluntary Park ground/dog track is long gone for housing development. Dam Park was going to be taken over and redeveloped by Ayr Rugby Club. However they've since announced plans to do work on their current home Millbrae. Unclear why Vic's are having to vacate just now.

Vic's plan in the long term is to move back to Whitletts area (about 300 yards from the old greyhound track). Currently just an all weather pitch -been dubbed 'New Voluntary Park'.

Vic's Community Group very recently announced that they received funding for the redevelopment of the pavilion building there (left of the picture below) into a clubhouse and improved changing facilities etc. Currently just standing room round the sides of pitch - could do with a bit more investment in years to come.

Understanding is that the 1st team aren't moving in straight away and will instead groundshare somewhere initially.

Daily Record article from last year on the initial news. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-sports-venue-sale-sees-26469271

IMG_20230821_203858.thumb.jpg.8b6dbd2f12e0a22d565a6693b20795a9.jpg

17 hours ago, AuAl said:

Understanding is that the 1st team aren't moving in straight away and will instead groundshare somewhere initially.

Cumnock or Bonnyton I'd guess as the WOSL doesn't allow groundshares on grass.

30 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Cumnock or Bonnyton I'd guess as the WOSL doesn't allow groundshares on grass.

Aye I had thought Troon maybe, but if that's the case with grass pitches (makes sense) then Cumnock would likely be best option.

16 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Ooft. Surely that's going to hurt income wise.

It will possibly help them, to be fair, as I understand their ground isn't quite ready yet so would need to pay a rent somewhere else for a groundshare. I'm not sure the money they would make from the crowds at the 3 or 4 home games at a neutral venue would cover that expense.

On 21/08/2023 at 21:23, AuAl said:

Yep, Voluntary Park ground/dog track is long gone for housing development. Dam Park was going to be taken over and redeveloped by Ayr Rugby Club. However they've since announced plans to do work on their current home Millbrae. Unclear why Vic's are having to vacate just now.

The rugby club still intends to take over Dam Park. Talk of them using it for their youth programme. I'm not sure whether the latest development is down to them or whether the council has decided to abandon Dam Park since it has no further use for it.

What's been happening at Kilbirnie? Surely their fans must be concerned with their start and they can't afford to go down again? Their used to be quite a few of the Kilbirnie fans on here but went right quiet over last couple of years. Although I do think they should finish above Cambuslang, Whitletts and perhaps Neilston come the end of the season but not guaranteed.

Edited by Shannon

10 minutes ago, Shannon said:

What's been happening at Kilbirnie? Surely their fans must be concerned with their start and they can't afford to go down again? Their used to be quite a few of the Kilbirnie fans on here but went right quiet over last couple of years. Although I do think they should finish above Cambuslang, Whitletts and perhaps Neilston come the end of the season but not guaranteed.

Hard to say what you have in the last paragraph with any certainty. This league is mental competitive. Hope Kilbirnie come good as they're too big to be in Division 2.

15 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Hard to say what you have in the last paragraph with any certainty. This league is mental competitive. Hope Kilbirnie come good as they're too big to be in Division 2.

Apart from a decent playing surface there is very little to be positive about on and off the park.

Committee have doubled down, support have drifted away, rookie manager,mediocre squad of players.

• 2 weeks later...