Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

I’ve checked and there’s no scenario at all where the second best of Spain/Norway/Georgia can have more than 16 points (the worst case scenario is that Spain win all their games apart from losing in Oslo or Tbilisi and whoever beats them wins their remaining games, apart from a defeat in Spain in Georgia’s case. That would put Spain on 18 and one of GEO/NOR on 16)

So if we beat Cyprus, either one more win or two draws from our last three fixtures absolutely mathematically does the job. 

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you have 3750 Euros to spare you can buy a hospitality deal for Scotland's 3 group matches, money back if they don't qualify. Official UEFA partner.

https://www.2024-hospitality.com/en/global/hospitality-packages/follow-my-team/scotland-DA00003892?l1=P100023311&l2=P100023299

'Things you hate about modern football' thread for this sort of shit

23 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Am I crazy to even consider it? 

Bit early to be thinking about this, but does the Deutschlandticket cover public transport like the U-bahn in all the cities? Do you have to prove you're a Kraut?

my mate moved to Hamburg about 8 years ago.  When i got married his present to me and my wife was flights to Hamburg to visit him.   Due to one thing and the other plus Covid I haven't had the chance to go over.

My Wife hasn't a clue about football or the Euros so it could be a wee "why don't we cash in those flights next Summer" conversation coming up soon....

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit early to be thinking about this, but does the Deutschlandticket cover public transport like the U-bahn in all the cities? Do you have to prove you're a Kraut?

According to the DB-Bahn site:

Where is the Deutschland-Ticket valid in Germany?

The Deutschland-Ticket can be used throughout Germany in all regional and local trains. It is also valid for any number of journeys in all means of public transport of the participating regional ticketing systems, transport associations and transport companies according to their area of validity and conditions. This is true regardless of which transport company, association or regional ticketing system is indicated on the ticket. A Deutschland-Ticket purchased in Munich, for example, can therefore also be used for journeys in Frankfurt and the surrounding area.

Please note, however, that the Deutschland-Ticket is not valid on trains operated by DB Fernverkehr AG or other long-distance providers such as FlixTrain (e.g. IC, EC, ICE, as well as RE operated by DB Fernverkehr AG). DB Fernverkehr is currently in talks with the German state governments and authorities about exceptions on certain sections of line.

The Deutschland-Ticket is currently also permitted for long-distance trains (IC, EC, ICE) between Rostock Hbf and Stralsund Hbf.

Furthermore, the Deutschland-Ticket is not valid on means of transport that are operated predominantly for tourist or historical purposes.

(https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/regional/deutschlandticket)

From my understanding of German railway operations, this means the ticket is only helpful for Regio-Bahn (Regional) and S-Bahn (Local) trains.

Edit: U-Bahn as well. My mistake.

In other words, no Intercity, no ICE.

Doesn't say anything about non-German nationals. Doubt it would be restricted that way, due to Schengen.

Edited by ClydeTon

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It does, you just have to show ID that matches the ticket. 

A load of places make it very difficult for non-residents to buy including DB who need you to set up a direct debit but need a German bank account. This link tells you the best place for non-residents to buy it with non-German cards https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm#Deutschlandticket

1 minute ago, ClydeTon said:

According to the DB-Bahn site:

(https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/regional/deutschlandticket)

From my understanding of German railway operations, this means the ticket is only helpful for Regio-Bahn (Regional) and S-Bahn (Local) trains.

In other words, no U-Bahn, no Intercity, no ICE.

Doesn't say anything about non-German nationals. Doubt it would be restricted that way, due to Schengen.

It's fine on the U-Bahn.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It does, you just have to show ID that matches the ticket. 

A load of places make it very difficult for non-residents to buy including DB who need you to set up a direct debit but need a German bank account. This link tells you the best place for non-residents to buy it with non-German cards https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm#Deutschlandticket

That's a great link, bookmarked..

It covers everything except the high speed ICE and IC trains including all local transport. 

A football ticket here at any game covers them too, depending on who and where. 

I'm thinking of doing a Cologne city guide on here nearer the time of the draw, depending if we're playing here or not. Not sure if anyone would find such a thing useful?

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It covers everything except the high speed ICE and IC trains including all local transport. 

I'm thinking of doing a Cologne city guide on here nearer the time of the draw, depending if we're playing here or not. Not sure if anyone would find such a thing useful?

Definitely would be. Only thing I know about Cologne is the fitba team and the big f**k-off cathedral next to the train station

Edited by ClydeTon

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Great work from Joel Sked to "narrow down the possible options" to...... every city hosting a match.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scotlands-euro-2024-chances-after-georgia-win-pot-1-hope-the-german-cities-the-team-could-play-in-4193083

And he still managed to f**k it up. The team assigned as A2, B2 etc aren't necessarily the pot 2 side.

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

Please just let us qualify during the England game.

The party that will ensue would be worthy of the history books.

Excellent stuff from Clarke to give a league B minnow a chance to share a pitch with the gold standard of international football. Sure the plucky lions will learn from us. 

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’ve checked and there’s no scenario at all where the second best of Spain/Norway/Georgia can have more than 16 points (the worst case scenario is that Spain win all their games apart from losing in Oslo or Tbilisi and whoever beats them wins their remaining games, apart from a defeat in Spain in Georgia’s case. That would put Spain on 18 and one of GEO/NOR on 16)

So if we beat Cyprus, either one more win or two draws from our last three fixtures absolutely mathematically does the job. 

Sorry is this last paragraph about winning the group or just qualifying? I’m thinking it’s the former but thought I’d check thanks 

15 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Sorry is this last paragraph about winning the group or just qualifying? I’m thinking it’s the former but thought I’d check thanks 

5 more points qualifies us.

To guarantee winning the group we still need to win three of our last four games and draw the other one.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Would be much appreciated , thinking of basing ourselves there for the first week

Edited by Andershen

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

5 more points qualifies us.

To guarantee winning the group we still need to win three of our last four games and draw the other one.

Or win the other three and lose to Spain by one goal.