Andy Robertson

Robertson has been unfairly criticised, like many England-based Scots before him. 

Tierney has also been really good for Scotland for the most part (when not being played at right back), which maybe put him under the microscope a bit more.

I don't think his commitment to the cause can be questioned, hopefully he puts in a few more MotM displays to keep the doubters quiet.

We're fortunate to have him.

I used to think he was bang average when I saw him play against Aberdeen (I guess that was only twice). Was surprised at the uplift in his career, given I don't watch English football. But fair play to the lad, I absolutely agree...he looks like a top class player these days.

Hopefully his Liverpool teammate fulfils his potential, and we'll have two exceptional full backs.

I'm not sure if it was his best game for Scotland as he's had plenty of excellent ones, but it was probably one of the few where he carried an underperforming side. Really impressive to do that from his position.

I thought he had a very good game last night. On the ball he was superb, driving us forward when he could. Defemsively far better than usual and even marking Haaland at the back post a couple of times.

BUT he was as much to blame as Porteous on the penalty. He should never have allowed the space to get that cross in.

Its churlish I know, he had a grest game, but its worth not brushing over.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

And again, sensational last night. Thought he was our biggest attacking threat. 

Was watching him bomb up and down and thinking what an engine he has, to be playing with such commitment after a long hard season and the away game on Sat. Noticed he was struggling with cramp at the end. 

A fantastic captain we are lucky to call ours!

He's been a top-class player for the past ten years.

I can't speak for the game or two you thought he was bang average in as a 19yo, but he was an almost immediate phenomenon for United in the one season he was with us - hence why he was immediately snapped up by a Premier League team.

On 18/06/2023 at 01:46, Illgresi said:

I used to think he was bang average when I saw him play against Aberdeen (I guess that was only twice). Was surprised at the uplift in his career, given I don't watch English football. But fair play to the lad, I absolutely agree...he looks like a top class player these days.

Hopefully his Liverpool teammate fulfils his potential, and we'll have two exceptional full backs.

He's on 64 caps, so needs 36 to make the century.  Injuries aside, he should finish the year on 70.

Euros (3+ fixtures), perhaps 3/4 friendlies (March playoff dates, Euro preparation in June), plus 6 Nations League games would have him well over 80 before he turns 31. 

There's a good chance he'll make it.  That would be some rewards for his talent and commitment.

I'd say there's a fair chance that McGregor will get close, as he strikes me as the type of player with staying power (reasonably diminutive, and his game doesn't rely hugely on pace).  I'd worry that McGinn might not last as long, but 40 caps by 32/33 is certainly plausible.

Behind that, McTominay, and Tierney (injury barring) might also make it.  A long way to go, and much still to achieve, but we've never had a strong generation rack up the caps together in the manner that other countries have.  It does feel like this is our turn.

We probably would've been expecting Tierney to break the record if he was right-footed and/or hadn't picked up so many injuries, but I suppose you could say that about others too - such is life. 

I'd love to see Robertson make it. He's clearly incredibly fit and a very well-rounded full-back which might help him as he gets older, but there's no denying that his intensity is a big part of his game so he (and Scotland) would lose a lot if he drops off physically. That said, it'll still be disappointing if he doesn't end his Scotland career at least in the top three. 

I make it that the starting XI on Tuesday night had a total of 333 Scotland caps between them despite Callum McGregor being the only player over 30 in the entire team. There have only been 30 Scotland starting line-ups in history which have had more caps than that, and 7 of those have been since June 2022.

Ireland away was 380, the Ukraine play-off was 343, Ukraine at home in the Nations League was 369, Ireland at home was 377, the Turkey friendly was 421, Spain was 359 and Norway was 343. I didn't realise it at the time, but that Turkey game was actually the most experienced Scotland starting XI of all time in terms of caps, beating a 0-0 draw away Lithuania in September 1998. Obviously everything up to Turkey had Craig Gordon rather than Angus Gunn in goals which makes a big difference.

Incidentally, when we talk about people being on course for 100 caps, Billy Gilmour won his 18th Scotland cap on Tuesday night, and he just turned 22 last week. Kenny Dalglish and Andy Robertson were both 23 and a few months when they made it to that many.

Edited by craigkillie

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I make it that the starting XI on Tuesday night had a total of 333 Scotland caps between them despite Callum McGregor being the only player over 30 in the entire team. There have only been 30 Scotland starting line-ups in history which have had more caps than that, and 7 of those have been since June 2022.

Ireland away was 380, the Ukraine play-off was 343, Ukraine at home in the Nations League was 369, Ireland at home was 377, the Turkey friendly was 423, Spain was 359 and Norway was 343. I didn't realise it at the time, but that Turkey game was actually the most experienced Scotland starting XI of all time in terms of caps, beating a 0-0 draw away Lithuania in September 1998. Obviously everything up to Turkey had Craig Gordon rather than Angus Gunn in goals which makes a big difference.

Incidentally, when we talk about people being on course for 100 caps, Billy Gilmour won his 18th Scotland cap on Tuesday night, and he just turned 22 last week. Kenny Dalglish and Andy Robertson were both 23 and a few months when they made it to that many.

That's fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.  Switching out Gilmour for Armstrong, Gunn for Gordon, and Hendry for Hanley would increase it by 120+

It's clear that the record will be under pressure in the next few years.

One other aspect we sometimes overlook is just the sheer number of goals in this team as well.  Part of that is a result of having a more experienced squad, but our goals return since 2019 must surely be above our long-term average?  

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

One other aspect we sometimes overlook is just the sheer number of goals in this team as well.  Part of that is a result of having a more experienced squad, but our goals return since 2019 must surely be above our long-term average?  

1.22 goals per game between the end of the 1998 World Cup and the appointment of Clarke. 1.47 since Clarke was appointed.