Lochee United

Marten

Has the idea of a Superleague made up of the top Midland and North Junior League sides died from lack of interest? I was originally against it as I thought it would sideline the North Caley, but now the NCL is getting seriously competitive in its own right it's no longer a big issue for me. All the top NJ sides are in the North East so the travel shouldn't be a major bar. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Has the idea of a Superleague made up of the top Midland and North Junior League sides died from lack of interest? I was originally against it as I thought it would sideline the North Caley, but now the NCL is getting seriously competitive in its own right it's no longer a big issue for me. All the top NJ sides are in the North East so the travel shouldn't be a major bar. 

I haven't heard much about it since, but I believe smaller clubs weren't keen on it, especially in the North Region.

19 hours ago, Marten said:

Another 3 new years players for us: Dom Blair, Lee Roeleveld (both Coupar Angus) and Stephen Tront (Tayport).

Squad looking good now. Also more squad depth, which we lacked the last 2 seasons and came back to bite us when the inevitable injuries hit. 

Tront not been at Tayport for years. Likely last club Coupar Angus

55 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Tront not been at Tayport for years. Likely last club Coupar Angus

Sorry, you're right. I misread it. That's 4 players from Coupar Angus now. 

Lochee United 6-1 Formartine United

Excellent performance against last season's number 4 of the division above us. They played with 10 men for an hour due to a silly stamp on one of our players, but hats off to the lads. That gives confidence for the new season. 

Lochee United 3-0 Dundee Violet

Great start to the league campaign. Excellent performance, commanding throughout. Probably should have scored more but in fairness, the Violet goalkeeper was very good. Can't complain, 3 points and a performance that gives confidence.

Forfar West End 0-3 Lochee United

Another strong, commanding, performance. Team looked good, again I could say we should have scored more. But 2 games in, 6 points, 6 goals and 0 conceded, I absolutely can't complain. St. James next on Saturday.

When was Lochee's last home tie in the Scottish Cup? Feels like every tie in recent memory has been away from home, maybe that's just how it feels to me though. Was hoping they'd be home this time, will have to go beat Broxburn to have another crack at it.

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

When was Lochee's last home tie in the Scottish Cup? Feels like every tie in recent memory has been away from home, maybe that's just how it feels to me though. Was hoping they'd be home this time, will have to go beat Broxburn to have another crack at it.

This is only the second time we entered as a licensed club, so far all 3 ties have been away (Dalkeith, Wick & now Broxburn). But last time we entered before that, in 2019/20 as East Superleague champions, we had 3 home ties (Burntisland Shipyard, LTHV & BSC Glasgow) and only 1 away (Edinburgh Uni).

Dundee St. James 0-3 Lochee United 

Well, we're definitely being consistent. Another 3-0 win, again a commanding performance and not given anything away. Again it could be argued we should have won by more, but I can't really complain with such a result. 

Lochee United 3-0 Blairgowrie 

I feel like I'm repeating myself. Much of the same again, but obviously I'm happy with this sort of consistency. Today was the first time our new goalkeeper Dean Easton has been seriously tested, a test he definitely passed with 2 great saves late in the first half. 

Time to get out the record books. How many clubs in the pyramid have ever started their season with 4 times exactly the same result? And I wonder if it ever happened with 4 3-0 wins? 

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hows Bobby Linn been looking for yous?  Is he adapting to his new surroundings well?

He has been great for us so far. Sometimes when players move down multiple tiers they disappoint as they tend to think they are too good for that level of football. It's nothing of the sort for Bobby Linn. He works very hard, plays in service of the team and creates lots of chances for his teammates. He scored once in the first 4 games, but he is far more important in the build-up. Of the 11 other goals we scored, he played an important part in the build-up to the goal (or foul that led to a penalty kick) in 8 of them.

Lochee United 5-3 Dundee Downfield

An absolute thriller. This promised to be a good game and it was. A typical game of two halves. Lochee United were poor, especially defensively, in the first half. You can't do that against a good team and the Spiders took full advantage by taking a 3-1 lead at HT. The second half was so much better though. A quick goal after the break got us back in the game and through an amazing fightback we took a 4-3 lead. Downfield lost their heads and got deservedly 2 players and their manager sent off. Against 9 men we decided the game and got a fantastic win. Very impressive second half performance and a deserved win based on that.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

Lochee United 5-3 Dundee Downfield

An absolute thriller. This promised to be a good game and it was. A typical game of two halves. Lochee United were poor, especially defensively, in the first half. You can't do that against a good team and the Spiders took full advantage by taking a 3-1 lead at HT. The second half was so much better though. A quick goal after the break got us back in the game and through an amazing fightback we took a 4-3 lead. Downfield lost their heads and got deservedly 2 players and their manager sent off. Against 9 men we decided the game and got a fantastic win. Very impressive second half performance and a deserved win based on that.

Agree with all of that although 15 for Lochee was lucky not to get sent off but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Liam McCartney was outstanding first half but like rest of Downfield side ran out of steam in second half.

Feels like a huge one in the season already. Not just the result but psychologically Lochee knowing they can step-up a level if needed and Downfield probably thinking they are a bit short.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Agree with all of that although 15 for Lochee was lucky not to get sent off but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Liam McCartney was outstanding first half but like rest of Downfield side ran out of steam in second half.

Feels like a huge one in the season already. Not just the result but psychologically Lochee knowing they can step-up a level if needed and Downfield probably thinking they are a bit short.

I think with our fairly fast paced style of play we will more often than not decide games in the second half after running the opposition tired tbh. Still very early on obviously so I'm not getting carried away, but this is an excellent start to the season. 

I'm a bit behind with updating this thread, I said what I wanted on the 2-2 draw at East Craigie in the Midlands League topic. A draw was probably a fair result, the game went back and forth, but East Craigie are a tough nut to crack and 4 points from playing 2 direct competitors in Downfield & East Craigie is good so I'm not complaining.

Arbroath Victoria 1-9 Lochee United

Long story short, the first 10 minutes were poor, we were lucky not to be 2-0 down within 2 minutes. After that absolutely commanding and a brilliant performance. Bobby Linn got a hattrick on his first competitive game in Arbroath after joining us, Kerr Hay scored 4. Much better at finishing than previous games. Very encouraging.

Scone Thistle 0-7 Lochee United

Due to being busy at work I was slightly late for kick-off. I was just on time to see the first goal though. The performance was probably the best I've seen all season so far. It was 2-0 at half time and could have been more. The second half was even better and we scored another 5 goals. Kerr Hay scored another hattrick, but the Man of the Match for me was Bobby Linn with 2 goals, 2 assists and playing an important part in the build up to the other goals.

Kirriemuir Thistle 1-5 Lochee United

Another excellent performance. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, Kirrie were tough to beat last season but their results so far suggested they aren't as strong now. Some clinical finishing from our side got us a 3-0 lead at half time. Some key players like Bobby Linn were taken off to give them some rest and the second half was less attractive with the game basically already wrapped off. We scored a fourth, they scored a screamer to get on the scoresheet and we scored another one late on. Again a great team performance with it being difficult to single one single player out for MoM.

Lochee United 9-1 Forfar United
Well, another game with lots of goals. We started poorly though, a mix-up in defence was punished by the visitors, a well taken goal to be honest. Within 2 minutes we equalised and not long after we were 2-1 up. After about 40 minutes we said to each other that this was our poorest game so far this season, which was right at the time but the players must have heard us because after 2 quick fire goals it was 4-1 at half-time. The second half was excellent. Some players were taken off at 5-1 to save them for Tayport on Saturday. A few good goals resulted in a 9-1 win. Some excellent stuff in the second half. Finishing was excellent.