League 2 Predictions 23/24

On 27/06/2023 at 10:40, Francesc Fabregas said:

6 - Stranraer
Stranraer were going nowhere under Jamie Hamill but have shown a degree of promise in the handful of matches under Scott Agnew. Keeping the likes of Craig Ross, Matty Grant and Dylan Forrest is huge - all three impressed me at times over the course of the season - and I think Tam Orr could be a useful signing if he's used properly (ie, everything is laid on a plate for him and he doesn't have to think). There are a few too many over-the-hill players at the club, however, and there's a lack of depth up front which could cost them a promotion challenge.

Only two of the Stranraer squad are over the age of 30. The next oldest being 26.

We’ll probably be running with lowest paid, youngest squad in the league.  

Given the resources or lack of Scott Agnews disposal 6th would be an achievement.

1 hour ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Odds from McBookie F0qWpMoXwAAFo0u.thumb.jpeg.79a690d259a44aaaa33232f437e24e8f.jpeg

Ourselves & Clyde to fight it out for the title, Dumbarton, Peterhead, Stenny, Forfar & Stranraer fighting for 3rd/4th place. They always say the bookies are never wrong!

Seriously, I'm not sure where they've come up with this, no one else has.

I'm not sure too many Clyde fans will be buying into this judging by their thread.  East Fife have Jack Healy and Nathan Austin, two players of genuine quality, a factor always in short supply in League Two.

As for ourselves, we're making positive noises but the more savvy of our support will believe it when we actually see it.  We've been here before and all that, never mind our overused and underfunded pitch.

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not sure too many Clyde fans will be buying into this judging by their thread.  East Fife have Jack Healy and Nathan Austin, two players of genuine quality, a factor always in short supply in League Two.

As for ourselves, we're making positive noises but the more savvy of our support will believe it when we actually see it.  We've been here before and all that, never mind our overused and underfunded pitch.

I'd fancy East Fife if they can keep Austin fit, but that's a huge if. Rest of the squad is a Partridge shrug.

Think there's value in Stenny as fancy them for top 3. Dumbarton, as much as they have an issue with the owners and manager should be top 3, but that'll be up to the manager. 

Clyde joint favourite is hilarious 

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

17 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I'd fancy East Fife if they can keep Austin fit, but that's a huge if. Rest of the squad is a Partridge shrug.

Think there's value in Stenny as fancy them for top 3. Dumbarton, as much as they have an issue with the owners and manager should be top 3, but that'll be up to the manager. 

Clyde joint favourite is hilarious 

Probably Forfar or Dumbarton favourites for me. Maybe EF another possibility. I don't get the Stenhousemuir for top votes, they look weaker than last season and finished 6th then.

1st- Dumbarton - most experienced squad.

2nd - Forfar - still a striker and a winger short but we look fairly exciting right now.

3rd - East Fife - it's East Fife they always seem to challenge at least for play offs. 

4th - Stenhousemuir - Matty Yates.

5th - Peterhead - bit of an arm's out shrug tbh.

6th - Spartans - Henderson and Russell could cause havoc.

7th - Stranraer - the term "aggyball" nearly made them 10th.

8th - Bonnyrigg - Too Loyal to some.

9th - Clyde - Jim Duffy recruitment.

10th - Elgin - No Hester no party.

Edited by ScottishLoon

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

1 Dumbarton

2. Peterhead

3. Forfar

4. Stenhousemuir

5. East Fife

6. Clyde

7. Spartans

8. Stranraer

9. Bonnyrigg

10. Elgin

3rd place ? Talk to me , fackin mug 

I don't think anybody really stands out this year at the top end of the table. You can pick holes in any of the sides. Fofar keeping Ray McKinnon was huge. As detestable as most fans of clubs he doesnt currently manage may find him, he is a very good manager at this level. There does look to be a lack of goals, but if they're difficult to beat then they shouldn't lose many. Does that give us a chance of the title? A potentially all new back 4 will take time to gel. Last season we were defensively solid but struggled for goals. This season we should be more attacking, but may leave gaps at the back. We've recruited well but there will still be a lot of pressure on Ruth to be the reliable scorer we've lacked for a few years now.

Nathan Austin makes East Fife very dangerous. I'm not convinced that the overall squad is good enough for a title challenge. Feel similar about Stenny - they're capable of beating anybody in the division but the squad doesn't look good enough to do it consistently. 

Spartans could be absolutely anything. Sonkur gives them a bit of experience at the back. But are they good enough to maintain a strong challenge all season or will they need to consolidate at this level for a year or two? I don't like the look of Peterhead or Clyde. Neither team look like they'll be contenders this season. It'll be interesting to see how Aggy does with Stranraer. 

Bonnyrigg looked a poor side when we played them in the cup. It may not have been entirely representative of either side, but I didn't like what I saw. They won't have to worry too much though - Eglin without Kane Hester just don't look capable of avoiding bottom.

1. Forfar

2. Dumbarton

3. East Fife

4. Stenny

5. Peterhead

6. Spartans

7. Stranraer

8. Bonnyrigg

9. Clyde

10. Elgin