Hampden memories

2 hours ago, Tom Boland said:

For my first ever post, here's one from my first ever Scotland match and my first ever visit to Hampden. 50 years ago this week.   

image.jpeg

Nice opener...referees and linsemen (as it was in those days) always seemed to have wrong un vibe back then

Is Bremner's handshake masonic or just firm?

I recognise the Brazilian player but can't remember his name?

4 hours ago, Tom Boland said:

For my first ever post, here's one from my first ever Scotland match and my first ever visit to Hampden. 50 years ago this week.   

image.jpeg

For younger viewers, this is before hairstyles were invented. In those days it just grew and you hoped for the best.

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

55 years ago for me - 1967 Scottish Cup Final.

Old Scottish Football: Aberdeen v Celtic 1967 Scottish Cup Final Hampden

Happier memories 3 years later.

Joe Harper and his Aberdeen team mates celebrate at the end of the 1970 ...

I shall refrain from my usual replies to these two occasions, but I will say that your second photo was my first Hampden, Glasgow and West Coast visit. 

And my second was exactly two weeks later at the Scotland v England 0-0 match.

Edited by kingjoey

Skol cup semi final v Celtic. 1986 I think.

If my memory serves me right, Andy Walker scored a couple to equalise. Then Philliben just about broke the cross bar with what was, I think, the decisive penalty miss.

Seeing as it's not the photographic thread I can post a video of my first visit to Hampden...

60,000 there for a friendly on a wet Wednesday in February, McLeodmania was in full swing.

Remember being gutted when Dalglish scored and the ref gave a penalty instead.

Also remember my first sight of the old stand as my dad's pal drove into the car park. 

"It's like a castle" I said.

"Ha ha, some ruined castles are in better condition." came the reply. 

Edited by Lurkst

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

55 years ago for me - 1967 Scottish Cup Final.

Old Scottish Football: Aberdeen v Celtic 1967 Scottish Cup Final Hampden

Happier memories 3 years later.

Joe Harper and his Aberdeen team mates celebrate at the end of the 1970 ...

Is that Joe Harper in the bottom pic?

Edited by Lyle Lanley

I think my first visit was the 1994 Scottish Cup semi final replay against Dundee Utd. Next was the Coca Cola Cup final against Dundee. Seen us lose to Motherwell, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and Queen of the South and beat Rangers, Hibs and Morton off the top of my head. 

Only Scotland international I've been to at Hampden was a 0-2 friendly defeat to Ireland in 2003 when we got absolutely ragdolled by Clinton Morrison. My uni fitba team won the league that day away at St Andrews and I missed the celebrations because I'd mates coming down from Aberdeen for the Scotland game who picked me up in St Andrews. Never been to a Scotland game since, I'm good at holding grudges. 

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

First went to Hampden in 1969. Two League Cup Finals v Hibs &. St Johnstone & Scottish Cup Semi v Morton. Hard to convey now how vast Hampden was back then. And how decayed.

Most grounds were huge back then - Hampden, Parkhead, Ibrox. Even Easter Road, Dens Park and Pittodrie. Funnily enough, I don't recall Tynecastle looking that big in comparison but I'm sure it was, just my memory of it.

East End Park, Muirton and Firhill were also fairly substantial.

Starks Park, Cappielow and Tannadice were also quite big.