#Barclays 23/24

Cheese

Getting concessions/funding from local governments to build stadiums/arena is a very North American thing. Usually it's done under threat of "I'll move the team to somewhere else that will give me all the concessions I want", and usually it's just a bargaining tactic and usually it works. I can only really relate to this through hockey arenas so here are the recent ones:

Rogers Place - Wikipedia - built for the Edmonton Oilers as owned by billionaire Darryl Katz. 

The arena was funded by the following sources:[21][22]

$231 million from the Community Revitalization Levy (CRL) and other incremental revenues (increased parking revenue, reallocation of existing subsidy paid to Northlands and new taxes from business in the arena)

$125 million from ticket surcharge on all events in the new arena

$137.81 million from lease revenue for the Arena

$27.68 million in cash from Edmonton Arena Corporation

$92.2 million from other government sources

Little Caesars Arena - Wikipedia - built for the Detroit Red Wings as owned by the billionaire Ilitch family.

It was originally announced that Little Caesars Arena would cost $450 million to construct, on top of an additional $200 million for constructing the new district. $285 million of the total $650 million cost would be public funds, with $365.5 million in private funding.[34][92]

On May 23, 2017, it was reported that the cost of the arena had risen to $862.9 million.[12]

UBS Arena - Wikipedia - built for the New York Islanders as owned by... some guys. I can't actually figure out how much this cost or who paid for it, but 1.5 billion dollars seems the given amount. I imagine it's more expensive to build something in New York than it is in Edmonton or Detroit.

Climate Pledge Arena - Wikipedia - rebuilt with a view to getting an NHL team and an NBA team - for reference the expansion fee for Seattle's NHL team was 650 million. https://www.seattlecenter.com/about/plans-and-projects/arena

Project Funding
Redevelopment of the Arena complex is financed and paid for privately, solely by OVG and its partners, through a development and lease contract with the City of Seattle.

Those of an Arsenal persuasion may also like to know that the Kroenke family, despite owning about a dozen sports teams of various levels in Colorado, are also at it with attempts to get the city of Denver to pay for new developments in the city centre and around their venues.

It's also worth remembering that these are effectively 20,000 capacity concert venues that happen to be able to support a sports team for 40-60 home dates a season, so there are a lot more opportunities to make money by hosting events than there would be at a football stadium. 

I think it's safe to say that the Monaco dwelling, 30 billion net worth Mr. Ratcliffe may find a much poorer appetite from both government and public to fund a stadium for the most valuable sports team in the world playing in the most valuable league in the world. Especially when one of his star players has a history of telling the government to not cut off free school meals for children. 

I have both lived and worked in Manchester and I can see why folk would like it.  I would love to hear a conversation between ex-shop steward Alex Ferguson and ex-Brexiter/tax exile Jim Ratcliffe.  Ultimate Barclays.

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The game's gone. The game has officially gone. 

Defo.  I remember the days when you only knew a footballer was married because they put one picture of their family in their autobiography.  I don't recall my Blue grandad telling me about Dixie Dean's wife's choice of soft furnishings etc. 

27 minutes ago, The Master said:

I see the latest Man Utd revolution has gone as well as all the ones before it. 

I like it when they play an academy lad. He's automatically the best young player in Europe because Man U had a talented crop 30 years ago. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I see the latest Man Utd revolution has gone as well as all the ones before it. 

They need to lose every 2 or 3 weeks to make sure we don't have to wait too long for the next new era. 

Wee sneaky feeling Newcastle might get something tonight, and if I may say, as an armchair Barclays watcher (the most important kind) I am delighted that this kick off slot has been provided to meet my personal needs at the expense of the irrelevant attendees 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Wee sneaky feeling Newcastle might get something tonight, and if I may say, as an armchair Barclays watcher (the most important kind) I am delighted that this kick off slot has been provided to meet my personal needs at the expense of the irrelevant attendees 

You can thank Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool choking so many early Saturday games for this kick off time. His real lasting legacy for the EPL.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can thank Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool choking so many early Saturday games for this kick off time. His real lasting legacy for the EPL.

Iv just did a triple fist pump©️™️ in my living room in his honour.