#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

It’s tremendous to watch the struggles of Man Utd pretty much since Fergie retired.

A lot of glory hunting fans up here, who’d only ever known them as a team who won trophies every season, who now have to sit through their struggles as they spunk millions of pounds on overpriced frauds and continue in a spiral of relative failure and managerial sackings.

Even watching Man City dominate you know one day it’ll end, they’ll sink down and you’ll get to rip the pish out of them.

This is what we miss out on in Scotland. We deserve rangers and Celtic struggling at the same time for a few seasons.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s tremendous to watch the struggles of Man Utd pretty much since Fergie retired.

A lot of glory hunting fans up here, who’d only ever known them as a team who won trophies every season, who now have to sit through their struggles as they spunk millions of pounds on overpriced frauds and continue in a spiral of relative failure and managerial sackings.

Even watching Man City dominate you know one day it’ll end, they’ll sink down and you’ll get to rip the pish out of them.

This is what we miss out on in Scotland. We deserve rangers and Celtic struggling at the same time for a few seasons.

Happy to admit I am/was one of those glory hunters who had Man Utd as their "English team". Mostly cause of Fergie to be fair.

But how far theyve fallen is objectively very funny. Especially with the money theyve spent and the fact theyre more brand/tourist destination than actual properly functioning football team.

They genuinely seem incapable of making good signings/off field decisions. Very funny indeed.

There’s about 10 strikers every summer that United could easily afford that would improve them and they never sign any of them. I have no idea why they’re determined to stick with Rashford, best on the left wing, and Martial, almost permanently injured. 

They’d be a lot more successful if they signed a proven goalscorer.

Man United have been diabolical. They might improve when Hojlund is available and Rashford can move wide, but they've been an absolute car crash individually and as a team which is concerning given you'd expect them to kick on after what turned out to be a good first season for Ten Hag - although I suppose last season showed how he's able to turn it around after two terrible performances. 

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

There was a stat that came up during the game saying Man Utd got one point from away fixtures against the top nine sides last season. 

I thought they'd made a mistake as I remembered them getting a point against Chelsea... only to remember that Chelsea finished 12th last season. 

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Perhaps the funniest thing about the Man United game was the cameras cutting to McTominay like they used to do with Ferguson. Defos a case of a player getting better by not playing, but I'm all for it. 

I suppose even in England his stock will have risen slightly due to his international performances. 

If United were actually on an upwards trajectory and improving their side there would be little said about McTominay being left out but when they look no better, and possibly worse, than they did last season then the thought that they might as well give him another go will always be there. As Neville said in commentary, it's clear Ten Hag is finished with him and he's unlikely to even get any decent playing time off the bench this season. 

20 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Perhaps the funniest thing about the Man United game was the cameras cutting to McTominay like they used to do with Ferguson. Defos a case of a player getting better by not playing, but I'm all for it. 

I think McTominay will still get games with them having the Champions League this season. Managers will leave players in the cold in August to get them to leave but if he's still there come September he'll still play 20+ games this season. It's an ideal situation from a Scottish point of view, plays enough games to still be fit but means he is fresh for the international games and reduces likelihood of injury. Same is definitely true for Kieran Tierney, from a Scottish point of view I think the worst thing would be for him to move to a team where he would play every week because he'd be injured half the season. Far better for us if he plays the odd game here and there and is then fit to play 3 games in 10 days for us.

8 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Having seen Mac Allisters sending off earlier, how the f**k did Newcastle keep 11 on the park v Man City?

Thought that was a ridiculous red card. And it was never a penalty either. They both seem to fall into that category where everyone knows they are wrong, but they aren't 'wrong enough' to be overturned, which just seems an absurd way to officiate a game.

Webb seems to be big on not 're-refereeing the game', which in essence means accepting wrong decisions, for what purpose I'm unsure. I get it for random irrelevant fouls on the halfway line, but for penalties and red cards then surely the whole point of VAR is to get involved and correct wrong decisions.

19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think McTominay will still get games with them having the Champions League this season. Managers will leave players in the cold in August to get them to leave but if he's still there come September he'll still play 20+ games this season. It's an ideal situation from a Scottish point of view, plays enough games to still be fit but means he is fresh for the international games and reduces likelihood of injury. Same is definitely true for Kieran Tierney, from a Scottish point of view I think the worst thing would be for him to move to a team where he would play every week because he'd be injured half the season. Far better for us if he plays the odd game here and there and is then fit to play 3 games in 10 days for us.

I think this is a true point. It is a real shame for Tierney but I don't think he can play 30+ games a season. 

36 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Thought that was a ridiculous red card. And it was never a penalty either. They both seem to fall into that category where everyone knows they are wrong, but they aren't 'wrong enough' to be overturned, which just seems an absurd way to officiate a game.

Webb seems to be big on not 're-refereeing the game', which in essence means accepting wrong decisions, for what purpose I'm unsure. I get it for random irrelevant fouls on the halfway line, but for penalties and red cards then surely the whole point of VAR is to get involved and correct wrong decisions.

Watching the highlights there was a few softer than shite penalties given yesterday. Attacker and defender going for the ball side-by-side and the attacker falls to the ground.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There’s about 10 strikers every summer that United could easily afford that would improve them and they never sign any of them. I have no idea why they’re determined to stick with Rashford, best on the left wing, and Martial, almost permanently injured. 

They’d be a lot more successful if they signed a proven goalscorer.

This is an issue I have with most PL clubs. They spend millions on players from every part of the world, but it's usually after they've played in Europe for another club.

Why aren't there scouts better at spotting these guys earlier?

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This is an issue I have with most PL clubs. They spend millions on players from every part of the world, but it's usually after they've played in Europe for another club.

Why aren't there scouts better at spotting these guys earlier?

Arrogance probably. A case of ‘you do the hard bit of finding these guys, and we’ll pay you not as much as we pay for English players, and you’ll thank us for it’.