Second Chance: the EOS Second Division 2023-24

57 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

First ever visit to Whitestone Park today for the Peebles Rovers game, who eventually claimed a deserved 2-1 win, attendance of about 35.

A real shame if this venue is consigned to history.  Yes it isn't fenced in, and their changing rooms are miles away, but it's a fantastic setting.  Has to be a solution rather than another 3g cage which seemingly is the alternative.

Speaking to someone at Peebles today, that might not be happening yet as the facilities they were/are planning to move to don't meet the standard.  Peebles are hoping to get a stay of execution at Whitestone Park - but the guy I spoke to also mentioned groundsharing with the rugby club next door - not sure if he meant temporarily or permanent.

5 minutes ago, Burgh1909 said:

Speaking to someone at Peebles today, that might not be happening yet as the facilities they were/are planning to move to don't meet the standard.  Peebles are hoping to get a stay of execution at Whitestone Park - but the guy I spoke to also mentioned groundsharing with the rugby club next door - not sure if he meant temporarily or permanent.

Interesting, thanks.  I was looking across at the rugby club thinking it would be a solution given the sports centre next door is where the changing rooms are.   Also, easier to fence in.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

First ever visit to Whitestone Park today for the Peebles Rovers game, who eventually claimed a deserved 2-1 win, attendance of about 35.

A real shame if this venue is consigned to history.  Yes it isn't fenced in, and their changing rooms are miles away, but it's a fantastic setting.  Has to be a solution rather than another 3g cage which seemingly is the alternative.

Please define a 3G cage Burnieman?

Your main affiliation is with Blackburn, who play on a 3G within a cage. I think that ground is a good model for how small clubs cam evolve. D9 you want to take this away?

Just now, TheLad said:

Please define a 3G cage Burnieman?

Your main affiliation is with Blackburn, who play on a 3G within a cage. I think that ground is a good model for how small clubs cam evolve. D9 you want to take this away?

A 3G cage is what you find at schools and sports centre's, what Rosyth played in at the Fleet Grounds until they folded. Only one side accessible to spectators, no facilities at all within the fence, portable goals blocked sightlines. Heriot Watt is not much more than a cage, has the two stands of course - but no barrier between the stands and the pitch - otherwise no facilities at all within the fence and one-sided. They must be of shaky ground as well as far as complying with EoS rules with the changing rooms across a road, no toilets, no food/drink kiosk.  Inverkeithing not ideal either but they have at least made a bit of an effort.   

Cages are more prevalent amongst the newer clubs in the WoS to be fair, some of them wouldn't get into the EoS.

New Murrayfield Park is a football ground with a 3g pitch (remember, it started out as grass when first redeveloped), proper turnstiles, covered standing, seated stand, disabled area & toilet, large pavilion within the boundary of the ground etc.  It was never what people would understand as a cage.

Tweedmouth, Easthouses, Dunipace and Ormiston are good examples of what smaller clubs can achieve.

37 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

A 3G cage is what you find at schools and sports centre's, what Rosyth played in at the Fleet Grounds until they folded. Only one side accessible to spectators, no facilities at all within the fence, portable goals blocked sightlines. Heriot Watt is not much more than a cage, has the two stands of course - but no barrier between the stands and the pitch - otherwise no facilities at all within the fence and one-sided. They must be of shaky ground as well as far as complying with EoS rules with the changing rooms across a road, no toilets, no food/drink kiosk.  Inverkeithing not ideal either but they have at least made a bit of an effort.   

Cages are more prevalent amongst the newer clubs in the WoS to be fair, some of them wouldn't get into the EoS.

New Murrayfield Park is a football ground with a 3g pitch (remember, it started out as grass when first redeveloped), proper turnstiles, covered standing, seated stand, disabled area & toilet, large pavilion within the boundary of the ground etc.  It was never what people would understand as a cage.

Tweedmouth, Easthouses, Dunipace and Ormiston are good examples of what smaller clubs can achieve.

Quite right burnie 

New Murrayfield Park isn't a cage and is a tidy wee ground with facilities such as a pie stall, spectator cover and hot and cold running midges. 

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

New Murrayfield Park isn't a cage and is a tidy wee ground with facilities such as a pie stall, spectator cover and hot and cold running midges. 

Lies! there is no midge problem at NMP. Well, not on the scale of Fauldhouse anyway.

1 hour ago, Nittenrab said:

Edinburgh College have plans with moving into their original home at Marine Drive (grass), watch this space.

Will that be on CSS's old pitch and ckubhouse?

10 minutes ago, Nittenrab said:

Not sure of the details but as Edinburgh College has the lease on Marine Drive they may have other plans other than CCS's old pitch.

I haven’t been there since CSS moved out so don’t know what is still there, but the location is perfect for the team

Isn't that where CCS play, with the pitch down in one corner beyond the indoor 5-a-side pitches? they use the bar and changing rooms there. 

There's still a lot of room there, where you could build an EoS complaint ground, but it would be a start from scratch job.

15 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Isn't that where CCS play, with the pitch down in one corner beyond the indoor 5-a-side pitches? they use the bar and changing rooms there. 

There's still a lot of room there, where you could build an EoS complaint ground, but it would be a start from scratch job.

I’m trying to remember how it used to be, it’s all the same complex and there is plenty of room for 2 teams. I know the bottom end (north of the current CCS park) was boggy af so had rugby posts down there 

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I’m trying to remember how it used to be, it’s all the same complex and there is plenty of room for 2 teams. I know the bottom end (north of the current CCS park) was boggy af so had rugby posts down there 

Have a look on Google Earth, pretty upto date overview there.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

Have a look on Google Earth, pretty upto date overview there.

I was, still sure the CCS pitch was up closer to the clubhouse and at a funny angle but I’m probably wrong! It all looks different now!

I went along to Thornton Hibs v Easthouses Lily last night and witnessed the best goal ive seen all season as the visitors scored with a chip of the keeper from be back of the centre circle in the half they were defending.

The game finished 4-1 to Thornton who remain in the title hunt.

Burntisland 0-0 Edinburgh South
Thornton 4-1 Easthouses

Ormiston 2-2 Kennoway

image.png.c6707b7d6a1322024abdd7b437f85f2b.png

Thornton need to beat Bo'ness Athletic on Saturday - they did thrash them away in March - then hope they drop points at Ormiston or Dalkeith.

Edinburgh South did drop points at Burntisland last night and Armadale will hope they do so again.

Ormiston are effectively relegated given their GD (in any case: beating Bo'ness Athletic be a tall order).

Burntisland 0-1 Coldstream
Dalkeith 0-1 Armadale
Easthouses 1-4 Edinburgh College
Edinburgh Utd 1-2 Peebles
Kennoway 2-1 Tweedmouth
Ormiston 3-2 Newburgh
Stirling Uni EOS 2-3 Edinburgh South
Thornton 4-2 Bo'ness Athletic

image.png.0eb7b9a1c817fb2aefab733e29cc1f0c.png