Champions league 2023/24.

guinness

10 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Neither wonder VAR struggles, the amount of people trying to defend Rashford and saying it’s not a red.

If people can’t agree on fairly clear challenges like that, the refs have no chance of getting folk in the game to accept decisions, especially when they go against them.

I don’t think it’s remotely close to a red card.  But it’s hilarious, so all’s well. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You don't think Rashfords was remotely close to a red? Really?

he was shielding the ball and there was no intent of a stamp but if your studs are going down like that on someone’s ankles you have to go to you not?

The 2 handballs are a pain in the arse but what is anyone supposed to do if the ball has hit the arm and changed path and it’s a here in plain sight for the ref to see? he doesn’t have an option but to give it and this is why var was bought in the first place. I think what some people want is a blind eye and turned on certain things to make the games go more fluidly but you either do VAR or you don’t and we are now at a point of no return with it.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

he was shielding the ball and there was no intent of a stamp but if your studs are going down like that on someone’s ankles you have to go to you not?

The 2 handballs are a pain in the arse but what is anyone supposed to do if the ball has hit the arm and changed path and it’s a here in plain sight for the ref to see? he doesn’t have an option but to give it and this is why var was bought in the first place. I think what some people want is a blind eye and turned on certain things to make the games go more fluidly but you either do VAR or you don’t and we are now at a point of no return with it.

The opponent was in danger of pretty severe injury from a tackle from a player who missed the ball. You could say neither one had "intent" but to compare over the two nights, Maedas one for me is never a red because of the lack of an actual, forceful motion into Hermosos leg. A yellow is enough. Rashford on the other hand, the motion in itself was absolutely savage. Its pure luck that the boys leg isn't fucked. 

The opponent was in danger of pretty severe injury from a tackle from a player who missed the ball. You could say neither one had "intent" but to compare over the two nights, Maedas one for me is never a red because of the lack of an actual, forceful motion into Hermosos leg. A yellow is enough. Rashford on the other hand, the motion in itself was absolutely savage. It’s pure luck that the boys leg isn't fucked. 

I don’t think Maeda was red - i didn’t have numerous rewatches of it but it was a harsh decision.

Agreed about how forceful it was with Rashford and it could have been a bad injury, i do think it was clumsy rather than a deliberate stamp though. 

The opponent was in danger of pretty severe injury from a tackle from a player who missed the ball. You could say neither one had "intent" but to compare over the two nights, Maedas one for me is never a red because of the lack of an actual, forceful motion into Hermosos leg. A yellow is enough. Rashford on the other hand, the motion in itself was absolutely savage. Its pure luck that the boys leg isn't fucked. 

You can't compare them as they're both different. Rashford isn't tackling anyone, he's planting his foot to claim the space as players do many times in a game. He's caught the other player entirely by accident. We're now at this stage of absolutism that the deciding factor in awarding the foul is a small set of criteria denuded of context. 

I thought that was a rubbish game as the drama was entirely manufactured. A boy gets sent off for a nothing foul (again, I don't think the contact was nothing, but the other player took a risk by putting his foot in there) and then there's two nonsense penalties (the second was a gutless award) and then it's game on. Utter inauthentic shite.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thumbing through tonight's fixtures and I've really almost no interest in this competition anymore and I've felt like that for a while.

None of the games really appeal other than hoping English teams lose and keeping an eye out for the old firm. Don't even watch the highlights. 

I used to love the competition. Prefer the Europa League or Conference League now.