Cyprus (a) - venue change

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

If we beat Cyprus but lose the last three, and assuming everyone else beats Cyprus, we'd need two of the following three scenarios to qualify:

1) Spain get 2 points maximum from Georgia H+A and Norway A (No chance)

2) Norway get 4 points maximum from Georgia H and Spain H (Fairly likely)

3) Georgia get 4 points maximum from Norway A and Spain H+A (Fairly likely)

So I think there's a decent chance we make it with 15 points but not for sure. Norway beating Spain at home is a particularly risky result for us.

Presented like that, it seems to me the only realistic danger (assuming we deal with Cyprus) is Norway beating both Spain and Georgia at home.

48 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Part of a group staying in aya napa, where are the best bets for tartan army pubs over there?

There’s a Scottish themed bar called Craig’s Bar in Napa that is always very lively. Ironically it’s right across the road from a Welsh place called Taffy’s bar which is absolutely dead. They will almost definitely be showing the game there.

A little bit of press from the Cyprus side of things. They have been quite decent from what I've seen in the three matches they've played against Scotland, Georgia and Norway. I'd be a little surprised if they don't get any points from the rest of their group games.

All the games are difficult, not only the one on Friday. Almost the whole team has arrived, we are expecting three or four guys tomorrow (05-Sep) to get ready for the Scotland game. Tough game but the way the group is there is no easy game. We should prepare properly to win the game - it's certainly not easy, but what we want to do is to try for the best.

In every game the goal is to get points, unfortunately we haven't got any points so far. In some games we were unlucky, but we have other games and hopefully we will get points. Every game is an opportunity, that's certainly what we want, it's a strong group, several teams are fighting for the first two places, for us it's difficult to say that we have the goal of going to the final stage, but we don't want to be easy opponents for any team.

We have players who have started the league well, we have players who are not playing, we have players who are still trying to find a team, but we're pleased that we've several players who've scored in every game.

Temuri Ketsbaia

https://protathlima.cyprustimes.com/podosfairo-kyprou/a-katigoria/ketspagia-den-echei-efkolo-mats-se-afto-ton-omilo-na-paroume-ti-niki-me-skotia/

Edited by 2426255

Listened to Craig Levein's thoughts ahead of this game on the BBC Scottish Football podcast. Apparently it's going to be hot and that will be an issue but we should deal with it, and we'd be better if we had a world class striker like Haaland.

Riveting stuff. So glad I could benefit from big Craig's expertise here. No idea why he never cut it as an international manager.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Listened to Craig Levein's thoughts ahead of this game on the BBC Scottish Football podcast. Apparently it's going to be hot and that will be an issue but we should deal with it, and we'd be better if we had a world class striker like Haaland.

Riveting stuff. So glad I could benefit from big Craig's expertise here. No idea why he never cut it as an international manager.

It's harrowing that he probably got paid for his thoughts too.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

........and to think I thought he was a brilliant appointment at the time :(

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

........and to think I thought he was a brilliant appointment at the time :(

Can't believe that was 14 years ago. Feels like another lifetime. Think it was snowing the day he was revealed as the new manager.

I too remember reading about the appointment in the paper (the actual paper) and feeling really optimistic.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Listened to that too, what a big black bin bag of rubbish Levein is. He always finds a way of slipping in a little joke about his horrific time as manager to which the presenter finds hilarious, every time 😐

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The guy who was sent off for Cyprus against Scotland at Hampden: Nikolas Ioannou, has withdrawn through injury and been replaced by Kostas Pileas of Greek Super League team Panserraikos.

He plays for Como in Serie B. Was at the game two Saturdays ago. He scored then hobbled off in the second half. Was hoping he'd be crocked for our game. Decent player.

Edited by jimbaxters