Selling players to Saudi Arabia

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's pretty much my take.

It's why I couldn't get animated about the Super League proposals a few years back.

As structures at the top of the club game attempt to devour each other, I now watch on with detached amusement.  I don't really care who wins, but I hope it's suitably destructive for some participants.

What is this wishy washy liberal pish?

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's why I couldn't get animated about the Super League proposals a few years back.

It's to do with ownership. Collective is always better than private. UEFA is a members' organisation so all revenue is reinvested back to the members. That means even if the vast chunk of revenue has to be handed out in prize money to the elite clubs, there's at least always some going to grass roots football, to fund Bulgarian women's facilities or something. The proposed Super League would be entirely private therefore much of the revenue raised would be extracted out the game as profit, into the pockets of club shareholders like the Glazers at Man Utd, Fenway Sports Group at Liverpool, and so on.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I remember thinking back when the top footballers started getting paid 20k a week (£1m/year) and not quite comprehending how much money that was.

Now Mbappe is reportedly being offered £600m a year. It's mind-boggling.

He might jokingly say... "nah, unless you play me a billion a year" and they might just end up giving him it!

Mbappe has to go for that!! Like seriously f**k the football, f**k any kind of legacy he might leave, if he’s offered that and chooses not to take he’s an absolute balloon who in my honest opinion deserves a bat to the knees 

Spoiler

I realise that’s probably too far , but my point stands , over half a BILLION A YEAR and he says no he needs to check himself 

Edited by D TOTAL

2 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Mbappe has to go for that!! Like seriously f**k the football, f**k any kind of legacy he might leave, if he’s offered that and chooses not to take he’s an absolute balloon who in my honest opinion deserves a bat to the knees 

Reveal hidden contents

I realise that’s probably too far , but my point stands , over half a BILLION A YEAR and he says no he needs to check himself 

What do you suggest he does with that money that he can't do on his current meagre wages?

Unless he's planning some remarkable philanthropic enterprise, there is no point, even for him, in having that kind of money.

I wouldn't ever go there myself, but I am much more sympathetic to people like Martin Boyle or Jack Hendry deciding to go there for the sort of money that could genuinely change their life than I am to super rich people who are going from £300k a week to £500k a week or whatever.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't ever go there myself, but I am much more sympathetic to people like Martin Boyle or Jack Hendry deciding to go there for the sort of money that could genuinely change their life than I am to super rich people who are going from £300k a week to £500k a week or whatever.

£12million a week!

I'm not saying even that should tempt him, but if he's getting offered around six times as much money as even Real Madrid could probably afford to throw at him, it's gonna make him twitch at least.

And if Mbappe goes, wouldn't everyone else begin to follow? 

Edited by ArabFC

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

P&B is weird.

There's an almost universal loathing for the avaricious Tories, yet an enormous tolerance for the most blatant and immoral pursuit of riches.

Almost as if they are two separate things.

I'd move to Riyadh in a heartbeat if they x10 my wages and I simultaneously oppose sending refugees to Rwanda.

You don't have to live on a higher moral plane to have compassion.

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

It's to do with ownership. Collective is always better than private. UEFA is a members' organisation so all revenue is reinvested back to the members. That means even if the vast chunk of revenue has to be handed out in prize money to the elite clubs, there's at least always some going to grass roots football, to fund Bulgarian women's facilities or something. The proposed Super League would be entirely private therefore much of the revenue raised would be extracted out the game as profit, into the pockets of club shareholders like the Glazers at Man Utd, Fenway Sports Group at Liverpool, and so on.

What was once considered collective has operated almost entirely on a private basis for a long time.

Any distinction between the two is blurry and vague.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

P&B is weird.

There's an almost universal loathing for the avaricious Tories, yet an enormous tolerance for the most blatant and immoral pursuit of riches.

In theory we can rid of the Tories for hoovering up our money with their corrupt practices but the Saudis can do what the want with their oil dosh.

Not a lot we can do about that except not watch the games and I'd guess we won't.

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're right.

I fear however that there probably has to be a winner.  

Until an even bigger boy comes along of course.

A pyrrhic victory where they win, but are then treated like an NFL franchise and moved to a different place entirely. 

Like you I tend to look on with a growing sense of detachment like I'm watching two different sports. The saudis are absolutely welcome to Mbappe and any other elite European footballer they can get their hands on.

Harry Kane next please.

37 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

In theory we can rid of the Tories for hoovering up our money with their corrupt practices but the Saudis can do what the want with their oil dosh.

Not a lot we can do about that except not watch the games and I'd guess we won't.

That's not what I'm saying though.

I just find it weird that people who despise what Tories represent, can also applaud the idea of someone who already earned tens of millions, looking to multiply it.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I just find it weird that people who despise what Tories represent, can also applaud the idea of someone who already earned tens of millions, looking to multiply it.

What an odd post to hit send on.

46 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Neither are the Uyghur genocide and owning an iPhone, but life is not absolute.

Of course it's not, but being opposed to hideous imbalance in wealth, yet saying good luck to Mbappe, is directly contradictory.