Selling players to Saudi Arabia

Really just thinking out loud (or whatever the writing/text version of that is) with all this carry on happening with the Saudi league. 

A few questions/observations:

Do you think there will be loads of agents, especially those who represent old firm players, scrambling to market their players to Saudi?

Using one non-OF player as an example for a hypothetical , should Aberdeen be actively advising Duk’s agent to advertise him to this league in the hope that someone gives them a crazy figure for him? Do you think other clubs in Scotland will be hoping we’ll get a wee bit of this market? They won’t pay Mbappe money for everyone but let’s say it was Duk I’m sure someone over there would be daft enough to pay him £50k a week or something life changing l.

If your club benefitted from Saudi money in terms of transfers fees would you welcome the money or would you have any concerns about sportswashing etc? 

Can’t see any St Mirren players attracting Saudi attention, but if they did, as a fan, might as well just get on with supporting the team. Could melt my season ticket in disgust at accepting dirty Saudi cash, but I’d be as well pissing in the wind. My absence wouldn’t even register, much less register as a protest against the transfer. While I’m at it, I might as well stop watching Newcastle United and alter my signature text, and I might as well chuck watching any golf - dirty LIV/PGA/DP Tour ‘merger’.

The Saudis might well be mostly signing big name players ‘at the end of their careers’ at present - Jordan Henderson… but it would be quite the development should they throw buckets of cash at younger players the big European league clubs do not want to lose. Mo Salah or suchlike. Or, had a Saudi club trumped Man City for Haaland. Another interesting thing will be if every club in the Saudi league steers well clear of attempting to sign any Newcastle United players. Would be like raiding their own piggy bank.

Curtis Main going to the Indian Premier League is one thing, cannot see the Saudis in for Keanu Baccus or Ryan Strain.

Surprised Gowser hasn't gone for a final pay day though arguing with the police over there's probably not the best idea.

Just realised that €200m per year Ronaldo made his debut on the 22/01/23 when Al Nassr were top of the league and they stayed there until 09/03/23 when they lost to eventual champions Al Ittihad.

Strangely pleasing.

33 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Surprised Gowser hasn't gone for a final pay day though arguing with the police over there's probably not the best idea.

Just realised that €200m per year Ronaldo made his debut on the 22/01/23 when Al Nassr were top of the league and they stayed there until 09/03/23 when they lost to eventual champions Al Ittihad.

Strangely pleasing.

Public flogging and execution, I doubt with Mcgowans record he will be overly keen !

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Really just thinking out loud (or whatever the writing/text version of that is) with all this carry on happening with the Saudi league. 

Do you think there will be loads of agents, especially those who represent old firm players, scrambling to market their players to Saudi?

Using one non-OF player as an example for a hypothetical , should Aberdeen be actively advising Duk’s agent to advertise him to this league in the hope that someone gives them a crazy figure for him? Do you think other clubs in Scotland will be hoping we’ll get a wee bit of this market? They won’t pay Mbappe money for everyone but let’s say it was Duk I’m sure someone over there would be daft enough to pay him £50k a week or something life changing l.

If your club benefitted from Saudi money in terms of transfers fees would you welcome the money or would you have any concerns about sportswashing etc? 

Would welcome the money in the short term but it’s like house prices going up, it’s going to make replacing the asset so expensive as to negate any benefit.

as for sportswashing, it’s an overly simplistic buzzword.  There’s something to it of course but there’s also the hope that sport can be a civilising influence. I’d also rather they spent their money on footballers than on the traditional arms deals and hookers. 

On balance, is a medieval murderous despotic regime buying football a bad thing? Is that what you’re asking?

When Saudi clubs are currently targeting Mbappe, it seems a bit far-fetched to think non-OF Scottish Premiership players could be on their radar. However, we thought that about the Chinese Super League in the mid-2010s until Henan Jianye signed Osman Sow from Hearts, so similar could happen in time with Saudi clubs.

A general point on Saudi: parallels are commonly drawn between Qatar and UAE with Saudi which often miss a fundamental difference. Saudi is very much "a football country" where those other two aren't. Saudi has 32 million people and a huge, football-loving, working class. 

Must be shite being a Saudi Footballer though. 

Last year top player/scorer, golden boy, all the headlines, media,top shagger etc etc now punted down to Saudi League 1 or even worse Dundee Utd and nae c**t cares :( 

Edited by Hoose Rice

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I've quite enjoyed the Barclays fans getting themselves in a state about the Saudi League.

8 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Who was the St Mirren fan getting their knickers in a twist when Hibs sold Boyle to a Saudi team?

@Ric

A player who was in at Dens last season tweeted a thi g from the Saudi 3rd division saying they were looking for players. £3k - £5k a month and free accommodation. 

I'm amazed more players from Scotland aren't away, tbh.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

A player who was in at Dens last season tweeted a thi g from the Saudi 3rd division saying they were looking for players. £3k - £5k a month and free accommodation. 

I'm amazed more players from Scotland aren't away, tbh.

It's a country full of fingers, mate.

12 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Who was the St Mirren fan getting their knickers in a twist when Hibs sold Boyle to a Saudi team?

Probably the same one who's getting his knickers in a twist over our signing of the Israeli Nahmani ?