South Adventures in Big Scottish

10 hours ago, andy25 said:

Talbot could have had 20.

Hit the wood 4 times missed a penalty and young keeper had some decent saves.

Wigtown offered nothing. 

I did fear for Wigtown, they were run over by Nithsdale the week before. 

I'm not going to attempt to present any excuses for any of yesterday's results.

It was a bad day for the SOSFL. I'm sure some will try and sugar coat it though.

Morning after the night before as they say.

6 SOSFL teams entered the Scottish this season and after 2 Preliminary Rounds we are left with one representative.

Would be easy to either denounce the clubs or rejoice in the sole victory. Feel that would be too simple a response.

I'll start with W&B and Saints, hopefully my reasoning will make sense. Taking out the opposition and the level they are at; really did not expect any kind of a result from either side. Both clubs are having and have been through a difficult few seasons on the pitch and are in the process of trying to stabilise and grow the playing staff at both clubs. How many of their new young players would benefit from a season or so at u20's to benefit their progression?.

W&B have had an ok start to the league and should just focus on continuing their improvement, Saints as we are aware are having a difficult new beginning and can only take it one game at a time.

NS and Creetown are waking up this morning with that feeling of what might have been. Have witnessed both teams improvement from preseason into the actual season. Use that disappointment and feeling of possible injustice from yesterday to drive on for the rest of this season and being ready to show their worth in next season's Scottish. 

Have left Star for last. 1st Round proper as they say  beckons and will find out later their next opposition. Have been following their FB page and cannot understand the back clapping and general hysteria at scrapping past a club from the 10th tier of the pyramid in extra time and, after playing against 10 men for a majority of the game. This following on from their exit from the SRCC earlier against a Tier 8 club. Is this really the level of ambition our league's senior club has. To have come from Tier 5 and struggling against Tier 8 & 10 clubs would be getting the 'hairdryer' treatment from me at team meetings.

Is this the level we in the SOSFL are happy for our clubs to be at. I'm more impressed by the reaction from NS and Creetown, hopefully they will use the 'anger' from yesterday to better themselves.

I realise I am not a traditional south fan, but believe me I want to see the south clubs flourish and be a positive contributor in the pyramid.

13 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Have left Star for last. 1st Round proper as they say  beckons and will find out later their next opposition. Have been following their FB page and cannot understand the back clapping and general hysteria at scrapping past a club from the 10th tier of the pyramid in extra time and, after playing against 10 men for a majority of the game. This following on from their exit from the SRCC earlier against a Tier 8 club. Is this really the level of ambition our league's senior club has. To have come from Tier 5 and struggling against Tier 8 & 10 clubs would be getting the 'hairdryer' treatment from me at team meetings.

Is this the level we in the SOSFL are happy for our clubs to be at. I'm more impressed by the reaction from NS and Creetown, hopefully they will use the 'anger' from yesterday to better themselves.

I realise I am not a traditional south fan, but believe me I want to see the south clubs flourish and be a positive contributor in the pyramid.

Really, it's the Scottish Cup, a win's a win, some people are maybe happy about that.  A lot of folk just support and wish there local team well. Maybe they don't understand the pyramid or tiers or historically how good Carluke are, or how it was there first ever Scottish Cup game.  Talking to some at Carluke and couple of questions i was asked were what league are Dalbeattie in? whats the south league? why did they leave the Lowland league?  Bit of pyramid  education maybe needed. Strangely enough i haven't seen any back clapping or general hysteria from any one who was actually at the game.

Star were terrible, the game was terrible, the pitch is horrible and it's a long walk to the nearest pub. Carluke should hold there heads high, took a 2 goal lead through a brilliant 20 yarder and a bad Star blunder then went down to 10 men but never gave up, fought for everything, they even missed a penalty.  Would have had no Qualms had Carluke won. 

Star won, Yipee

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Morning after the night before as they say.

6 SOSFL teams entered the Scottish this season and after 2 Preliminary Rounds we are left with one representative.

NS and Creetown are waking up this morning with that feeling of what might have been. Have witnessed both teams improvement from preseason into the actual season. Use that disappointment and feeling of possible injustice from yesterday to drive on for the rest of this season and being ready to show their worth in next season's Scottish. 

Injustice for Creetown!

Great wee hospitable welcoming club. 👏

In the end they were outclassed by a team supposed to be a tier below. 

However its not their fault the pyramid system in Scotland is so lop sided. 

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Pretty comfortable for Whitehill. Home team started brightly but WW pretty dominant till Creetown got a softish spot kick for a handball after 30 mins. This gave them a lift and they had their best spell up to the break. Second half WW took the game by the scruff of the neck and never looked in any danger. WW have arrested their recent decline and have to say as a mid table tier 7 side I always had them as favourites despite Creetown being top of SOS.

My verdict on the WoS which was the wrong forum for it. First visit to Castle Cary Park and a very welcoming club like all the South clubs I've been at with WW.

9 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Really, it's the Scottish Cup, a win's a win, some people are maybe happy about that.  A lot of folk just support and wish there local team well. Maybe they don't understand the pyramid or tiers or historically how good Carluke are, or how it was there first ever Scottish Cup game.  Talking to some at Carluke and couple of questions i was asked were what league are Dalbeattie in? whats the south league? why did they leave the Lowland league?  Bit of pyramid  education maybe needed. Strangely enough i haven't seen any back clapping or general hysteria from any one who was actually at the game.

Star were terrible, the game was terrible, the pitch is horrible and it's a long walk to the nearest pub. Carluke should hold there heads high, took a 2 goal lead through a brilliant 20 yarder and a bad Star blunder then went down to 10 men but never gave up, fought for everything, they even missed a penalty.  Would have had no Qualms had Carluke won. 

Star won, Yipee

I am just a product of my upbringing. I am very competitive and any sport I took part in always strived for improvement. (Not saying I was any good).

I do get annoyed, probably shouldn't, at the attitude around that we are only the SOSFL and as nice as the Scottish and the SRCC are as a wee distraction, we are content playing away in our own wee bubble down here. If that's what the SOSFL want then drop out of the pyramid and become a wee standalone league. 

Personally, I don't witness or hear that at the games I've been at around Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire. 

Not been to Star much to say but at NS and Creetown see two clubs that want to progress and move forward. Saints and W&B are at a different stage in their development.

There is another local club who have taken the bull by the horns who fully expected to be in Round 1 tonight. The whole demeanour and attitude at Meadow Park is of a club growing and wanting to be a positive component in the pyramid. 

I have an understanding and knowledge of all the league's in our pyramid.  Am I expecting too much from our clubs. I don't think so.

I've seen ex boys clubs and ammies with no backing enter the pyramid and grow year on year with ambitions and expectations. Surely It's not wrong to want the same for some of our well established clubs.

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Injustice for Creetown!

Great wee hospitable welcoming club. 👏

In the end they were outclassed by a team supposed to be a tier below. 

However its not their fault the pyramid system in Scotland is so lop sided. 

Wasn't using injustice to mean they were on the wrong end of any refereeing decisions more to do with a sense of regret. How many times have you looked back on a game and thought if only things had happened this way instead of that it could have been different.

See Creetown a good bit and for me they are invested in the pyramid and all it offers. A club on the up!

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

How many times have you looked back on a game and thought if only things had happened this way instead of that it could have been different.

See Creetown a good bit and for me they are invested in the pyramid and all it offers. A club on the up!

I expected a more difficult game yesterday though. After a stuttering start WW were by far superior in the end and could've won by more. 

Just now, newcastle broon said:

I expected a more difficult game yesterday though. After a stuttering start WW were by far superior in the end and could've won by more. 

A problem I see, fully expect to get slaughtered for this, is a number of games I've seen Creetown at in the league this season have not been competitive. Almost like training matches; defence v attack, so when they need to be competitive in a match like yesterday they can struggle to find the extra levels needed to bee able to hold onto a lead in a circumstance they found themselves in at half time. I've said a few times the gap between top and bottom in SOSFL is very noticeable and increasing. What is the path forward for our South clubs at all their levels.

Anyway heard you all had a good time at Lochar Inn.

59 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

A problem I see, fully expect to get slaughtered for this, is a number of games I've seen Creetown at in the league this season have not been competitive. Almost like training matches; defence v attack, so when they need to be competitive in a match like yesterday they can struggle to find the extra levels needed to bee able to hold onto a lead in a circumstance they found themselves in at half time. I've said a few times the gap between top and bottom in SOSFL is very noticeable and increasing. What is the path forward for our South clubs at all their levels.

Anyway heard you all had a good time at Lochar Inn.

Yes a place I'd recommend excellent soup and sandwiches 👏

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I am just a product of my upbringing. I am very competitive and any sport I took part in always strived for improvement. (Not saying I was any good).

I do get annoyed, probably shouldn't, at the attitude around that we are only the SOSFL and as nice as the Scottish and the SRCC are as a wee distraction, we are content playing away in our own wee bubble down here. If that's what the SOSFL want then drop out of the pyramid and become a wee standalone league. 

Personally, I don't witness or hear that at the games I've been at around Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire. 

Not been to Star much to say but at NS and Creetown see two clubs that want to progress and move forward. Saints and W&B are at a different stage in their development.

There is another local club who have taken the bull by the horns who fully expected to be in Round 1 tonight. The whole demeanour and attitude at Meadow Park is of a club growing and wanting to be a positive component in the pyramid. 

I have an understanding and knowledge of all the league's in our pyramid.  Am I expecting too much from our clubs. I don't think so.

I've seen ex boys clubs and ammies with no backing enter the pyramid and grow year on year with ambitions and expectations. Surely It's not wrong to want the same for some of our well established clubs.

A SOSFL team, Dalbeattie Star, won a game in the Scottish Cup, can you not just say well done!

Instead it's all about , previous performances and other clubs future ambitions.

As for belittling the clubs supporters for wanting to say well done on fb!!!! oh dear!!!! Jesus wept

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Yes a place I'd recommend excellent soup and sandwiches 👏

There’s only 2 or 3 times a season when you have a great day out, you meet some familiar faces and a few new ones. This was one of the good days amongst all the shite 😂

1 hour ago, Sermani said:

A SOSFL team, Dalbeattie Star, won a game in the Scottish Cup, can you not just say well done!

Instead it's all about , previous performances and other clubs future ambitions.

As for belittling the clubs supporters for wanting to say well done on fb!!!! oh dear!!!! Jesus wept

Sorry fair point, well done Dalbeattie Star on your victory and gaining entry to Round 1 of the Scottish Cup.

I'll leave it at that.

• 3 weeks later...

Round 1 this Sat for our last man standing as if were. Star making the long journey up to Tullos Park on the south banks of the Dee. Tough tie for the Star against HL opponents.

FB_IMG_1695302734593.thumb.jpg.39b62fb87c2ab3a37c8c869daa170bb1.jpg

3 minutes ago, forfarton said:

Spain Park 

Cheers man I was just giving it it's geographical location basically next to Tullos Park off the Wellington Road. No been up to Aberdeen since I retired but pretty sure that's where it's located unless I'm wrong of course.