Morton v Ayr - Opening Day 2023/2024

Is that the right back that completely loses Boyd in the box after having a hold of him outside the box in the lead up to the cross? To go from that position to being nowhere near him when he scores takes some doing. 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Referee got the Murdoch- Quotongo incident right. Yellow card for both. 

At the time I felt it was a booking, as was Quitongo's reaction. Referee then lost the plot and booked another two.

7 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Murdoch could have pulled the jersey or just shoved Quitongo off the ball. No need for the malicious tackle as he was taking a booking regardless.

No guarantee that pulling the shirt would’ve stopped him and you need to get closer to the player to shove him which can just as easily injure him. 

It was a cynical tackle which we don’t see enough of. 

I still think it was no more than a booking however the elbow that injured Quitongo is defenitely naughtier than the trip part of the tackle that injured Murdoch which was a pretty run of the mill stopping a counter attack to take a booking cynical tackle. 

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I still think it was no more than a booking however the elbow that injured Quitongo is defenitely naughtier than the trip part of the tackle that injured Murdoch which was a pretty run of the mill stopping a counter attack to take a booking cynical tackle. 

I can’t see by any aspect of the rules how it can possibly be more than a booking. 

In real time I thought Murdoch was much higher going into the tackle, from the highlights that was a significant overreaction, probably brought on by both of them going flying immediately after the trip.

It was obvious McGinty had made a total arse of the penalty, but didn't appreciate quite how bad it was. That's so, so easy for Oakley to get goalside and isn't at all hilarious.

I forgot that Quitongo and Murdoch played together for Morton under Duffy which makes Jai's reaction to the tackle a bit more interesting. I wonder if he was raging because they're mates and he thought Murdoch set out to injure him or because they didn't get on that well previously. 

20 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I forgot that Quitongo and Murdoch played together for Morton under Duffy which makes Jai's reaction to the tackle a bit more interesting. I wonder if he was raging because they're mates and he thought Murdoch set out to injure him or because they didn't get on that well previously. 

Players tend to not like behind fouled like that. I doubt there’s any deeper meaning to it. 

I don't often give praise to well, anyone really, but Lee Bullen's post-match comments are consistently an honest reflection of the game regardless of the final scoreline. Set against the parade of utter bullshit merchants across the divisions (not to mention our own manager's occasional deflect to the referee ploy) it makes a genuinely refreshing change. 

21 hours ago, Only me... said:

Late challenge, yes, intentional, no. Both fighting hard for the ball as were most up to that point. Quitongo having a stamp near his head should have been straight red card.

Oh piss off. Jai stood over him shouting but he didn't stamp anywhere near his head - it was right in front of me and all Jai did was shout at him.  It was a cynical foul and arguably a red card - it wan't just a simple trip, he seemed to hit him with an elbow as well and went in quite high.  I like Murdoch, was a great player for us and sad to see him resort to that sort of thing.  Ayr have a hard edge to them and are not averse to fouling or other cheating. Near the end one of their players picked up the ball right in front of the cowshed before it had actually gone out of play, and took the throw - the linesman should have picked that up as it's pretty basic stuff. Ayr also indulged in a lot of time wasting after they scored until Crawford's superb equaliser.  Good to see the smile wiped off Sean McGinty's coupon.

What Ayr are good at is breaking quickly.  They seem to have plenty of pace and they'll likely be all right this season.  Morton struggled against them last season but I think our settle squad, albeit handicapped by injuries, showed they are better than at this time last season.  Early days, but in what was a hectic game, we looked decent and deserved the win.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Ayr have a hard edge to them and are not averse to fouling or other cheating.

3182051.jpg

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Near the end one of their players picked up the ball right in front of the cowshed before it had actually gone out of play, and took the throw

3182051.jpg

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Ayr also indulged in a lot of time wasting after they scored

3182051.jpg

On a par with Wattoo’s post from the weekend.

Both teams enjoy a bit of shithousery - see Crawford falling like a sack of tatties and going straight to the ref after he started a rammy with Pendlebury. Not sure why either set of fans would be particular outraged about it.

if this is the level of shithousery present in a now completely routine game against Morten then it's going to be very interesting seeing what happens when Ayr get the novelty of playing Airdrie for the first time in years.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Seriously...?

From where I was , it looked like his head. The highlights show it was further down, so not as extreme as I first thought 🤔. I still believe his reaction was way too much, as were the morton cries at every challenge, both teams were going at it  in the first half.