Another team resigns! Seen today a well known and established team Dunoon AFC have folded.

Beetlejucie

Strathaven Dynamo the latest to call it a day within SMAFA.

I’d guess, with the way it’s going, that SPAFA will have a maximum of 14 teams next year. Joe Noon, who is on their committee and was involved with Busby, was very vocal about a 19s and 21s league about six weeks ago, with the notion of announcements coming, but things seem to have dried up a bit. I hope the 19s thing works out and it wasn’t just a ploy to entice other teams to a competitive league.

SPAFA confirmed teams for next season (15):

Castlemilk OBC

Steins Thistle

Greenock HSFP

Oban Saints

Chryston

Arthurlie

Harestanes

Pather

Port Glasgow

Inverclyde

Baljaffray

Kings Park Rangers

Glenvale Carlton

Port Glasgow OBU

BSC Glasgow

-

Caley confirmed teams:

Premier

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers

St Joseph's

East Kilbride YM

Saint Mungo

Doune Castle

Giffnock North

Dunipace

Dumbarton Academy FP

Glasgow Harp

Strathclyde University/Milton

Drumchapel/Westerlands

Eaglesham

First

Westerlands/Drumchapel

Milton/Strathclyde University

Alva

Stenhousemuir Community

Rhu

Glasgow University

Rothesay Brandanes

Riverside

Stirling University

Cambusbarron Rovers

Cambria

Callander Thistle

St Patrick's FP

Bannockburn

Gartcosh Utd

Campsie Minerva

12 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Surely Castlemilk can't hang around to play in that league? Will be a struggle to keep players motivated scudding teams every single week and no competition.

I'm surprised they never applied for the Caley, and I'm surprised Steins and Greenock never followed either. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Surely Castlemilk can't hang around to play in that league? Will be a struggle to keep players motivated scudding teams every single week and no competition.

Obc, Steins & Greenock should seek a challenge elsewhere as it’s clear the SPAFA are only putting effort into the younger leagues, fair play to the guy Joe who has brought in plenty of 19s and 21s teams but there’s been absolutely nothing put into their premier division. Really unfortunate times for a league that was the strongest for a number of years. 

SPAFA surely looking to merge with another league? either that or there teams will walk as you say Caley and GGPAFL are places to be. Caley also has U21s so could get a really good setup going.

On 02/05/2024 at 11:28, Crazy Feet said:

Rumblings that there bigger hitters are leaving to WOSFL teams.

34 minutes ago, Redondo said:

I could hazard a guess as to which players that would be. Their squad is big enough to maintain a good standard, even if they lose their two or three best players. I do wonder if part of the decision making of going to WoS teams is to do with the weakness of the league they’ll be playing in next year.

47 minutes ago, Brad Bobley said:

I could hazard a guess as to which players that would be. Their squad is big enough to maintain a good standard, even if they lose their two or three best players. I do wonder if part of the decision making of going to WoS teams is to do with the weakness of the league they’ll be playing in next year.

If you take out the 2 stand outs and the 1 they got from St Pats they are an average side.

17 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

I think there will be another 2 or 3 teams from SPAFA applying for the Calie league next season. I know of another 2 who are regretting not applying for the GGPL who have said they will for the following season. Its a shame but I think we are going to see the demise of the old SAFL and Central for good possibly as early as the end of thos season. 

On 03/05/2024 at 18:57, Brad Bobley said:

Didn't the boy Taylor not already give it a go at Finnart and didn't really work out? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Didn't the boy Taylor not already give it a go at Finnart and didn't really work out? 

He was with Finnart when Finnart played in the Caley. He was also a lot younger (that would’ve been roughly 2019-ish?). He had a stint at Pollok, though, and I don’t think that worked out.

Edited by Brad Bobley

Manhatten blacks of SMAFA have called it a day, Hearing GSC Jordanhill of Greater Glasgow are also stopping, although its more like the Jordanhill part are stopping, maybe will remain as GSC only.

On 02/05/2024 at 11:28, Crazy Feet said:

Based on your post why would they consider your League when they were "scudding" your Champions was it 4 v 0 or 5 v 0 ? 

6 hours ago, AMP28 said:

Manhatten blacks of SMAFA have called it a day, Hearing GSC Jordanhill of Greater Glasgow are also stopping, although its more like the Jordanhill part are stopping, maybe will remain as GSC only.

Manhattan looks to be a name change more than anything. Part of Cumbernauld United setup now. 

On 06/05/2024 at 19:51, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Based on your post why would they consider your League when they were "scudding" your Champions was it 4 v 0 or 5 v 0 ? 

I’ll go ahead and presume you’re referring to St Joe’s, who haven’t yet won the Caley, but anyway, that’s not particularly relevant here.

It’s also not relevant that the game in question was 3-0, with St Joe’s reduced to ten men and OBC being caught with some questionable social media posts thereafter. But anyway…

I don’t know who Crazy Feet is, or if he has any affiliations with any teams in the Caley or beyond, but how you could even possibly conjure an argument against the top teams joining the Caley now is a bit of a stretch, no? The two West cup finalists and arguably the best amateur team over the past two-three seasons joining, with a strong Campsie Minerva, alongside existing sides like EKYM, St Joseph’s, Doune, Giffnock, Dumbarton, et al., - there is no way OBC should be entertaining a world where they’re beating utter dross 27-0 every week (like Greenock and Steins have been doing all season). 
Irrespective of your views on the Caley-SPAFA divide/relationship, there isn’t a possible coherent argument to suggest Castlemilk, Greenock and Steins will enjoy themselves next season.

On 03/05/2024 at 18:21, Redondo said:

What’s the rumours for them? I seen they won the cinema cup last week and more trophies might keep them next season. Still don’t see why they would stay in spafa though.. 

On 07/05/2024 at 21:40, Brad Bobley said:

I’ll go ahead and presume you’re referring to St Joe’s, who haven’t yet won the Caley, but anyway, that’s not particularly relevant here.

It’s also not relevant that the game in question was 3-0, with St Joe’s reduced to ten men and OBC being caught with some questionable social media posts thereafter. But anyway…

I don’t know who Crazy Feet is, or if he has any affiliations with any teams in the Caley or beyond, but how you could even possibly conjure an argument against the top teams joining the Caley now is a bit of a stretch, no? The two West cup finalists and arguably the best amateur team over the past two-three seasons joining, with a strong Campsie Minerva, alongside existing sides like EKYM, St Joseph’s, Doune, Giffnock, Dumbarton, et al., - there is no way OBC should be entertaining a world where they’re beating utter dross 27-0 every week (like Greenock and Steins have been doing all season). 
Irrespective of your views on the Caley-SPAFA divide/relationship, there isn’t a possible coherent argument to suggest Castlemilk, Greenock and Steins will enjoy themselves next season.

I'm pretty sure OBC beat St Joe's 3-1. First half was a very tight game with St Joe's being on top for the most of it but OBC scored at the right times in the game.

The poster you quote seems to have a massive bee in his bonnet with The Caley for some reason.

1 hour ago, Crazy Feet said:

I'm pretty sure OBC beat St Joe's 3-1. First half was a very tight game with St Joe's being on top for the most of it but OBC scored at the right times in the game.

The poster you quote seems to have a massive bee in his bonnet with The Caley for some reason.

image.thumb.png.81d3b88f418bd9990b3387789af5f506.png

Nevertheless, not the scudding that the OP originally alluded to. Probably because the Caley are thriving and SPAFA are struggling. Jealousy can be a difficult thing to manage.