Injuries

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Might just be a club manager trying to discourage selection of his not 100% fit player.

I hope.

With all these players Clarke should be calling them up to the long list and having his own medical staff have a good look at them. 

Out since October with a 'hamstring inury', wtf is the going on.

There seems to be more under the surface with this injury as Brentford been continually vague about it all, not promising at all.

Brentford forum saying the hamstring muscle actually detached from the bone. If true thats a bad one. Gutting that he may well miss the chance of playing the hosts to open the Euros.....but maybe better for his longer term career not to come back to quickly.

Posted (edited)

I'd put Hickey in the same category as Patterson.

Not technically ruled out, but unlikely. No-one has been officially ruled. Based on their club manager's comments and the amateur doctors amongst us. None of Armstrong, Hickey and Patterson will play games for their clubs for the rest of the season, but they won't all necessarily miss out.

I read that the squad is expected to be named 21-May. Not sure if that's true - we've discussed all that previously. The article which I believe @JS_FFC referred to in the Who's on the plane thread is from 18-Apr. 

image.png.041ec1c32334dbd9455929ae7de17eac.png

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13117105/euro-2024-uefa-considering-squad-announcement-delay-amid-england-and-scotland-fixture-congestion

Edited by 2426255

32 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Lewis Ferguson is out.

Yeah, you're right. Ferguson, although not officially ruled out is definitely not going to be making it.

Just after the news broke, he (Clarke) gave me a call just to wish me well and speak to me. He gave me his support and said if I needed anything or needed to talk or chat the offer was there. He said he was devastated for me with such a big summer coming up. The manager said to me that if I wanted to come over to Germany and watch any of the games I was more than welcome. The SFA would sort everything out, which was a nice touch.

Lewis Ferguson

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-ferguson-reveals-classy-steve-32682626

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Yeah, you're right. Ferguson, although not officially ruled out is definitely not going to be making it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-ferguson-reveals-classy-steve-32682626

I'm not sure there's such a thing as "officially ruled out". It's not like the SFA issue a list of people who won't be fit. He's had cruciate surgery which is at least 9 months on the sidelines normally. He's as officially ruled out as he ever will be before the squad is actually named.

18 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Well it's certainly not good news and he didn't offer any hope there in comparison with say Russell Martin stressing whilst ruling Armstrong out for the rest of the domestic season that they would be doing all they could to get him fit for the Euros and he had a "good chance". However, it really is just him saying that Hickey not playing this season for Brentford is not positive news for Scotland. Which it obviously isn't as he's been out a long time. However, he was also reported to be running on grass a couple of weeks ago and Neil MacFarlane was a little more optimistic. It's not impossible that he may still make it but maybe playing three games in a fortnight may be optimistic. I suppose with the 26 man squad there's scope for possibly taking him if he may be available for the last group game / any knock out game.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Not technically ruled out, but unlikely. No-one has been officially ruled. Based on their club manager's comments and the amateur doctors amongst us. None of Armstrong, Hickey and Patterson will play games for their clubs for the rest of the season, but they won't all necessarily miss out.

I read that the squad is expected to be named 21-May. Not sure if that's true - we've discussed all that previously. The article which I believe @JS_FFC referred to in the Who's on the plane thread is from 18-Apr. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13117105/euro-2024-uefa-considering-squad-announcement-delay-amid-england-and-scotland-fixture-congestion

It is slightly different with Armstrong though (and indeed Paterson) compared to Hickey (and also Hanley) in that he's played competitive football within the last month. He's not been out of the game for 6 months plus. If Armstrong is physically fit he's likely to remain fairly sharp. Hickey's not kicked a ball for more than 6 months. Leaving aside a handful of sub-optimal performances in Feb / March, Hanley's not really played for over a year. Though he at least is now physically fit and training with his team. It would be helpful if he gets 2 or 3 games for Norwich in the next fortnight but I can't imagine they'll change their team up for the playoffs at this stage unless forced.

If these dates are accurate, and there is some doubt over the likes of Armstrong who is surely the closest to making it of the group, then he may include them anyway, or push that date back a bit to save naming someone in a 27/28 man squad and then disappointing them if Armstrong / Hickey declare fit. Surely better to wait till the last minute, although I appreciate he's going to need to name the travel party for Gibraltar at least a week before.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure there's such a thing as "officially ruled out". It's not like the SFA issue a list of people who won't be fit. He's had cruciate surgery which is at least 9 months on the sidelines normally. He's as officially ruled out as he ever will be before the squad is actually named.

Well it's certainly not good news and he didn't offer any hope there in comparison with say Russell Martin stressing whilst ruling Armstrong out for the rest of the domestic season that they would be doing all they could to get him fit for the Euros and he had a "good chance". However, it really is just him saying that Hickey not playing this season for Brentford is not positive news for Scotland. Which it obviously isn't as he's been out a long time. However, he was also reported to be running on grass a couple of weeks ago and Neil MacFarlane was a little more optimistic. It's not impossible that he may still make it but maybe playing three games in a fortnight may be optimistic. I suppose with the 26 man squad there's scope for possibly taking him if he may be available for the last group game / any knock out game.

It is slightly different with Armstrong though (and indeed Paterson) compared to Hickey (and also Hanley) in that he's played competitive football within the last month. He's not been out of the game for 6 months plus. If Armstrong is physically fit he's likely to remain fairly sharp. Hickey's not kicked a ball for more than 6 months. Leaving aside a handful of sub-optimal performances in Feb / March, Hanley's not really played for over a year. Though he at least is now physically fit and training with his team. It would be helpful if he gets 2 or 3 games for Norwich in the next fortnight but I can't imagine they'll change their team up for the playoffs at this stage unless forced.

If these dates are accurate, and there is some doubt over the likes of Armstrong who is surely the closest to making it of the group, then he may include them anyway, or push that date back a bit to save naming someone in a 27/28 man squad and then disappointing them if Armstrong / Hickey declare fit. Surely better to wait till the last minute, although I appreciate he's going to need to name the travel party for Gibraltar at least a week before.

That's all fair enough, don't disagree with any of it. The point I was trying to make overall is that Hickey has in my opinion gone from being considered a doubt in the same vein as say Grant Hanley to something closer to Nathan Patterson. 

I think Lewis Ferguson is only player that 100% will not be there. Everyone else is on a sliding scale of doubtfulness.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's all fair enough, don't disagree with any of it. The point I was trying to make overall is that Hickey has in my opinion gone from being considered a doubt in the same vein as say Grant Hanley to something closer to Nathan Patterson. 

I think Lewis Ferguson is only player that 100% will not be there. Everyone else is on a sliding scale of doubtfulness.

Absolutely. My back of a fag packet scale of chances of making the squad as it stands from snippets out there is:

0% - Lewis Ferguson

10% - Nathan Paterson & Ryan Jack

25% - Aaron Hickey

50% - Stuart Armstrong & Grant Hanley

I've probably factored Hickey back from about 40% since Frank;s comment.

Given his young age and the level Hickey is playing at, there's close to zero chance he will be risking his body and future earnings playing in such high intensity games for Scotland if his potential return date will be the euro fixtures. He will be crazy to do that and I am sure people around him will be telling him that.

Hopefully he doesn't end up like another Tierney and gets the correct treatment done however long it takes.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Absolutely. My back of a fag packet scale of chances of making the squad as it stands from snippets out there is:

0% - Lewis Ferguson

10% - Nathan Paterson & Ryan Jack

25% - Aaron Hickey

50% - Stuart Armstrong & Grant Hanley

I've probably factored Hickey back from about 40% since Frank;s comment.

Yeah i see it similarly.

There's always the chance some of those players could be taken with the acceptance that they won't play in the friendlies and one or two of the group games.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It’s a shame that McGinn will miss out on a European final but on the flip side, it means he’ll join the squad at the same time as everyone else and is less likely to pick up an injury.