Injuries

Hypothetically of course but if Dykes has an injury that will likely take a couple of weeks to clear then I'd imagine he will be taken anyway given it's a 26 man squad. It might however dictate the make up of the couple of spots that are likely available. 

On a personal note I'm gutted for Dykes, he has played a part in our improvement over the past few years and deserved his spot on the plane. 

However, I don't think it's exactly a tragedy with regards to our chances in the tournament. It seemed to be the consensus on here that Dykes should start against Germany and I found it maddening, he's been poor this season for a poor QPR side, he was absolutely rotten against Northern Ireland but he was going to turn it on against Germany? Gies peace. I doubt you'd find a single Hearts or Southampton fan who'd swap Shankland/Adams for Dykes. And despite that we'd be opening the tournament with him. 

I'll be far happier with Adams/Shankland up top.

1 hour ago, FamousTartanArmy said:

Can't believe that Dykes might be injured now. Could just be a precaution though 

I wonder if there is a wee bit of psychology in this.  Even a top class defender might be wary of going into a 50-50 if it is a tattooed, shaven-headed nut job charging at him. 🤣

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Will be shite if Dykes is out injured. But biggest problem is who do we replace him with?

Nisbett just back from 4 months out.

Stewart played 4 games this season due to injuries.

Add to that Doak has not played in 6 months and is a wnger.

Hardie and Conway have never been tried at Full International level as Clarke is very reluctant to call new players up and test them. The recent game against Northern Ireland was a chance to do just that but once again it was the same players.

Only player really left is McBurnie and thats worrying.

Maybe an untried player or a guy who did not expect a start will be a hidden weapon. 

I remember that Sir Bobby Robson's hand was forced into a new formation after 2 crap performances for England in the 86 World Cup.  A new line-up and the walloped Poland 3-0 to qualify into knock out phase.  It took the Hand of God and a brilliant second to put them to the sword.  Admittedly it was Beardsley and Lineker, not a bad pairing, a bit better than say Shankland and Murray 🤣

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Will be shite if Dykes is out injured. But biggest problem is who do we replace him with?

Nisbett just back from 4 months out.

Stewart played 4 games this season due to injuries.

Add to that Doak has not played in 6 months and is a wnger.

Hardie and Conway have never been tried at Full International level as Clarke is very reluctant to call new players up and test them. The recent game against Northern Ireland was a chance to do just that but once again it was the same players.

Only player really left is McBurnie and thats worrying.

This is exactly the reason why a few of us on here have been wanting Clarke to try out different forward options like a Conway and see what they got, it's just came back to bite us if Dykes is gonna be out. 

37 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

On a personal note I'm gutted for Dykes, he has played a part in our improvement over the past few years and deserved his spot on the plane. 

However, I don't think it's exactly a tragedy with regards to our chances in the tournament. It seemed to be the consensus on here that Dykes should start against Germany and I found it maddening, he's been poor this season for a poor QPR side, he was absolutely rotten against Northern Ireland but he was going to turn it on against Germany? Gies peace. I doubt you'd find a single Hearts or Southampton fan who'd swap Shankland/Adams for Dykes. And despite that we'd be opening the tournament with him. 

I agree with this, but similar to Ferguson he is a good option to bring on at certain moments. 

We don’t have a direct option without him, and even if we are winning to support defending set pieces etc. 

6 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

This is exactly the reason why a few of us on here have been wanting Clarke to try out different forward options like a Conway and see what they got, it's just came back to bite us if Dykes is gonna be out. 

Literally started Shankland in the last set of games. 

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Where is the broken ankle aspect of this coming from? I dont see any mention of that anywhere. Hopefully nonsense.

Got told that from people close to his family, at the time though it was obviously too early to identify exactly what he’d done.

41 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I think this is a reasonable stance and view. As a Hearts fan of course I'm hoping that Shankland gets some decent minutes and makes an impression but frankly I couldn't give a shiny shite as long as Scotland as a collective do themselves and us justice, and qualify. The reality for me is that if Dykes is out it's another massive kick in the stanes given the different option he provides and the fact we have already lost Hickey, Patterson and Ferguson.

For me only Hickey was a certain starter out of the 4 but the other 3 are what I would definitely describe as likely sub options in most games. I think there were about 16/17/18 players maximum who Clarke would have relied upon and if Dykes is out we've now lost 4 of them which is a shocker given our meagre options beyond that. This would be by no means a fatal blow to our chances but my God we are getting unlucky and we can't afford any key injuries in these 2 upcoming fixtures or we are in big trouble. I think he needs to be very careful about who he plays and for how long. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Shankland started 1 and that was against the Netherlands. Dykes started against NI. 

But in friendlies such as the NI and Netherlands games Clarke took 3 strikers. 2 he has had before and started games and 1 that had been in the squad and had a few games off the bench.

could he not have not have also tried Hardie or Conway seeing as Nisbett was out injured and Brown has so far been underwhelming for Scotland.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

If he was good enough for this level then he would be starting ahead of the likes of Dykes regularly. Can't get my head around why he hasn't brought in Conway at some point in the past year. 

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We have started four different centre-forwards in the last five games, I'm not sure how much more you'd expect.

Personally wouldn't class Brown as a striker even though he was played there for Scotland, more of an attacking mid/winger and even plays wing back. 

49 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

If he was good enough for this level then he would be starting ahead of the likes of Dykes regularly. Can't get my head around why he hasn't brought in Conway at some point in the past year. 

Maybe if he was good enough for this level he would be starting ahead of the likes of Dykes regularly?