Injuries

Happy to see Conway added, but I’d prefer if there was one more attacker in addition to him.

A real shame for Doak, but I’d imagine he’ll be included in the nations league squads. He can just focus on recovery and a good preseason under his new manager now.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think he's really fast or versatile, not at this sort of level. He'd be playing as an attacking midfielder and that's it.

He's skilful and creative, but has only really had a single season at any sort of decent level, and even then his club got relegated even if he did well personally. He'd be having to displace McGinn, McTominay, Christie, Ferguson and Armstrong in his position, all of whom have had far better careers at far higher levels than he has, which is why he hasn't had a look in. Obviously there's a tiny bit more of a case for him now, but in reality he would simply be a slightly worse but different version of what we have I think.

There are currently 27 players in the squad, so someone, presumably a goalkeeper, is still getting cut.

He’s had at least three good seasons at a good level. Is also much quicker than you’re suggesting and has played a good chunk of his games for Vancouver up front and/or in the dreaded false nine position that everyone here seems to be in dispute about. It’s not going to happen, though.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'd cut my right leg short to be in a major tournament squad, and I suspect most players on the fringe of a call up would think similarly.

Ryan Fraser pulled out a Scottish squad "injured", only to be training with Newcastle the next day.

Steve Clarke received a lot of rejections from players, when he first got the job

There are tons of selfish mercenaries out there, like Fraser.

On the other side of the coin, Forrest cancelled his holiday to join up with the squad.

Edited by SlayerX

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’d like if we brought in another wide option besides Forrest, than taking either 7 centre backs or 4 keepers. But history suggests we won’t. No point losing the head over it.

This is usually where I am at with Clarke’s style of squad selection, but not adding another attacking midfielder goes too far down that road IMO. 

Particularly given Armstrong has been injured and James Forrest isn’t changing a game for us in attacking midfield. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

Hang on, are folk actually suggesting Clarke shouldn’t call up a player so he doesn’t miss his two weeks in Marmaris?

No, I'm suggesting that instead of phoning players who are actually on holiday we should've had them in the camp.

Steve Clarke should've seen the big picture and called up a bigger squad.

Edited by SlayerX

14 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

He’s had at least three good seasons at a good level. Is also much quicker than you’re suggesting and has played a good chunk of his games for Vancouver up front and/or in the dreaded false nine position that everyone here seems to be in dispute about. It’s not going to happen, though.

His only full season at a good level was with Farense in 2020/21. The rest of his best form has been in the Scottish Premiership (briefly in 2013/14), the Portuguese second tier and MLS.

We can argue the benefits of Gauld v Morgan v Danny Armstrong v Simon Murray but ultimately when people post that someone isn’t good enough, they are missing the point. We have already lost Ferguson, Dykes and Doak all from attacking positions, Armstrong hasn’t played in weeks due to injury, Adams is just back from injury, three of our attacking midfielders (McTominay, McGinn and Christie) usually play deeper roles for their clubs, and the likes of Harvey Barnes and Elliott Anderson don’t seem interested in playing for us at this point.

Beggars can’t be choosers but surely whoever Clarke thinks is the best eligible attacking midfielder not in the squad is far more likely to be needed in Germany than a 7th CB or 4th GK.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

His only full season at a good level was with Farense in 2020/21. The rest of his best form has been in the Scottish Premiership (briefly in 2013/14), the Portuguese second tier and MLS.

Since I really don't think he's going to be called up, it's moot and so not worth debating. Will have to agree to disagree on the quality of MLS, though. It's a lot better than a lot of Scots give it credit for and certainly a high enough level for the Scottish National team to be looking at for players.

Again, the squad is an absolute shambles. The whole thing has been an absolute mess since we qualified. 

Not to worry though, the happy clappers will never excuse anything and just be happy to be there. 

24 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

He’s had at least three good seasons at a good level.

Aye, but is that level anywhere near as good as playing a handful of games for Bristol City or Stoke?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

We can argue the benefits of Gauld v Morgan v Danny Armstrong v Simon Murray but ultimately when people post that someone isn’t good enough, they are missing the point. We have already lost Ferguson, Dykes and Doak all from attacking positions, Armstrong hasn’t played in weeks due to injury, Adams is just back from injury, three of our attacking midfielders (McTominay, McGinn and Christie) usually play deeper roles for their clubs, and the likes of Harvey Barnes and Elliott Anderson don’t seem interested in playing for us at this point.

Beggars can’t be choosers but surely whoever Clarke thinks is the best eligible attacking midfielder not in the squad is far more likely to be needed in Germany than a 7th CB or 4th GK.

It's not an issue of play A vs Player B.

Steve Clarke could, and should have called up a larger squad.

A fair number of the current 27 are injured. What did he have to lose?

I never criticise Steve Clarke, but in this instance he's made an error. He has 10 days to call up reinforcements, if he doesn't then on his head be it.

In my opinion, Gauld and Morgan should've been given a chance way before now. It's a moot point, though, as Clarke doesnt rate them.

We don't have any dribblers in the 27. Forrest certainly can't dribble. That's one of Morgan's biggest traits.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)

I have to agree and say I think Clarke could’ve gone with a larger provisional squad. Especially knowing he had so many semi fit players. I don’t buy the excuse of upsetting players as a reason. I think a bit of competition for places would’ve brought some much needed energy to the squad.

We’re now looking at 6 first choice (for the squad) players out: Hickey, Paterson, Ferguson, Brown, Dykes and now Doak.

I have a feeling there are still a few who aren’t fit. Armstrong & Souter I would’ve expected to feature v Gibraltar but no where near. I think MacGregor & McTominay are just nursing knocks and being wrapped in cotton wool.

I thought Ross Stewart would’ve been a good replacement for Dykes. He seemed to be coming back to some fitness for Southampton but maybe Euros are just too soon. Glad to see Conway called up.

Beyond that we are really struggling for boys who could play at this level. Max Johnson, Josh Doig maybe but we’re ok at full back…for now!

Barnes, Fraser, McBurnie, Anderson, Livramento have all burned their bridges and clearly aren’t interested and would only disrupt the squad if they joined it. So fair play to Clarke for not including them.

Edited by Angry Jim McLean
Spelling

52 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

Again, the squad is an absolute shambles. The whole thing has been an absolute mess since we qualified. 

Not to worry though, the happy clappers will never excuse anything and just be happy to be there. 

Do you want Steve Clarke sacked?

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

For all of the fucks of all of the sakes mate. Is everything ok at home? You thrash about forums like somethings up. Chill. Enjoy. If it’s not to be for Scotland this summer then it’s not to be. If you took an eccy an hour before kick off against Germany you’d still be the most depressed and negative person in Scotland.

If you think I am the most depressed person in Scotland, the you need to get a life and look around you.

I am happily sunning myself in Spain at the moment. Thank you.

29 minutes ago, Angry Jim McLean said:

I have to agree and say I think Clarke could’ve gone with a larger provisional squad. Especially knowing he had so many semi fit players. I don’t buy the excuse of upsetting players as a reason. I think a bit of competition for places would’ve brought some much needed energy to the squad.

Beyond that we are really struggling for boys who could play at this level. Max Johnson, Josh Doig maybe but we’re ok at full back…for now!

These two things don't really match up, if you don't think there are guys who could play at this level then why bother stringing them along as part of a provisional squad when they'd have little chance of being involved.